“Poor management and front staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #45 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 19 June 2014

While the location of the hotel is great, we will not be staying here again. The rooms are very small, which isn't as much of a problem as the front desk staff. Several in our group of 10 (5 rooms) wanted to pay cash for the rooms rather than hold with a credit/debit card. We were told this was not an option. (However, as we were leaving we heard another employee gladly accept cash for a room) Several credit cards were charged double and we were charged for 3 cars although we only parked two. My rate should have been $131 + 139 for the two nights. My total bill was $374. Something does not quite add up. Trying to check in was a nightmare. There was only 1 person working the front desk, and many others were waiting to check in. Checking out was even worse. I have never stayed in a hotel where checking in/out is a problem. Upon calling a manager to complain about overcharges, we were simply dismissed and offered no apologies. Too many other places to stay in NOLA to try this one.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I am sorry to hear that you had troubles with the front office staff! We definitely shoot to give GREAT guest service and also definitely accept cash payments. I hope that if you return to New Orleans you can give us another chance to give the 5 star experiences that we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights and found the hotel really comfortable and the staff helpful and friendly. Set in a typical New Orleans style brick building, the rooms have all the modern comforts with all of the classical stylings. Eddie "Always Ready" the entertaining concierge booked us on a tour of the city which took in the French quarter and the 9th Ward, the area worst effected by Katrina. Overly a really pleasant stay and a great spot to explore New Orleans, highly recommended!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tom W

Thanks for taking the time to share! We appreciate knowing that you had such a good experience that you would recommend us to others. I know it is a long trip, but hopefully you get to return again soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Where do I begin... The overall experience was awesome we arrived really really early to be greeted by the best "Cory" it was by far the best customer service I could ever ask for. The front desk clerk "Sabrina" allowed us to check in which was awesome!! Everything was in walking distance. The rooms were very cleaned and bed was comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if I ever come back to NOLA!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for sharing! I will be sure to share the kind words with the rest of the team here. I know we all appreciate knowing that we are helping to create great New Orleans memories here!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Country Inn and Suites in NO is in a perfect location for the first time tourist to New Orleans. We were able to walk just about anywhere. Close to Canal Street, bourbon Strret, streetcars, Harrah's casino, Rverwalk. All the staff we met were pleasant, kind, and extremely helpful....from arranging a taxi back to the airport to booking tours for us. The daily breakfasts were prefect...don't wait till near the end of the serving time as it gets pretty busy....to the fresh cookies all day long. Our room was on. The first floor which we liked, beds were comfy, view was a small street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review! We appreciate hearing that you had a great time here in New Orleans with us. We always want to do our part to help create memorable experiences and I am glad to know that we were able to accomplish that.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a great hotel at an affordable price! It's slightly away from the main attractions of the French quarter, but close enough to easily walk to them. The breakfast is phenomenal! I was not expecting such a variety of food for the complimentary breakfast. I will say tho that the Internet here sucks. Staff is super friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014
mlarose9, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Glad to hear you felt like you got a great bang for your buck. We know how much we value our own vacation - both time and budget - and always want to make sure our guests get the most out of theirs! Thanks for taking the time to share your review!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I usually stay in the French Quarter but booked this hotel as a special deal. The check-in was quick, and the front desk staff and the concierge were extremely friendly and helpful. We got our first "beads" while checking-in from the concierge. The hotel was built by refurbishing several buildings and we loved the décor and furnishings. The free breakfast was better than most and included different hot items each day. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the French Quarter and the entire staff made you feel at home. We will definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We appreciate knowing that you had a 5 star stay with us! Hopefully your travels bring you back to New Orleans again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I booked this hotel as a special deal with Hotwire. Overall, I was not disappointed. However, listing above says FRENCH QUARTER, however, there is a little bit of walking involved. If you absolutely have to be in the quarter and cannot walk in extreme heat(yesterday was 97), then you need a closer hotel. However, there is no craziness near the hotel and that is good. My room had everything that I require- a safe, a nice chair, a desk, a microwave and a refrigerator. This is an incredible combination for me. One of the good parts of staying at the hotel was a beautiful décor, free hot breakfast and coffee all day and night. There is a little store attached to the desk where various supplies, food, etc can be purchased. When going for the breakfast, you must be patient. The kitchen staff seems to be working as hard as they can to provide food for the volume of people that arrive (at the same time). You must be willing to wait for the food to be replenished.

The lobby is exquisite with a long corridor with chairs and tables that are very comfortable. There is a bar that opens at 3pm and a "happy hour". The pool is adjacent to the bar and is very tiny.

I was very happy with my accommodations and my stay at the hotel. There is a concierge that will arrange trips, but you need to know that the trips will be more $$$ with the concierge than at the locations themselves. This is the convenience of having someone who knows the city well. DO NOT MISS THE NEW ORLEANS CITY TOUR. It is terrific!!!

Thanks to the staff, the kitchen staff and all of those who made this a comfortable and "homey" experience. Mr. Frank Raffa (frankraffa@aol.com

Room Tip: I paid $10 extra to have what was called a "quiet room". Do not take a room adjoining the...