Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #45 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I can't say enough about this hotel. The staff was friendly, the room was nice and it was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see in the French Quarter.
The staff helped us with directions and tours and there were complimentary cookies at the front desk. Yummy!
The room was clean and very nice AND there were ceramic coffee mugs next to the coffee pot in our room. This was especially nice. I hate those little styrofoam cups.
This hotel believes in going green and I really appreciate that.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda A

Reviewed 18 April 2009

Just got back from N.O and it did not disappoint! I had the best little mini vacation I could have imagined. My sister and I went on Wed and came back today and I wanted to put my adventure in writing before I forget! Here it goes: The hotel was the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine. Perfect for an inexpensive hotel right there in the French Quarter. The lobby was really pretty and classy. The staff was really polite and helpful. Our room was a suite with a sofa, TV, desk, lamps, fridge and microwave in the front room and the bedroom was really big with two queen beds. Very clean and comfortable. I'll just give an overview of my trip. We ate at several places, among them being Johnny's Po Boys. Loved it. Had the oyster and shrimp po boy. Central Grocery for the muffaletta. I enjoyed it. My sister thought it was overrated. Coop's had great fried chicken, so good in fact that we ordered a second order of it which was a little overcooked. Still good though. Went to Casamentos and had the gumbo. Very thick and good but no seafood in it which was disappointing. Acme for the oysters. I had the grilled oysters which were fantastic. They put butter and grated romano cheese on them and serve them with italian bread. Yummy! Tried other food at the French Quarter Festival and it was good. Entertainment was everywhere. Street entertainers abounded. Bourbon Street was loud and crazy but had some of the best bands. We really enjoyed going from club to club. Had a ball at a karaoke bar (Cat's Meow or Fat Catz). Drank several Hurricanes during our vacation but there's a little store next to Central Grocery called Sidneys where you can get beer, wine, etc and they will open it for you and sell you a cup for .10 and you can drink walking up and down the street and not have to go to a bar or restaurant for a drink. Everyone recommended Pat O'Briens' Hurrican because theirs was the strongest. Others tasted more fruity but still good. We went to Canal and St. Charles Street and took the streetcar to Garden District which was lovely. We took the streetcar on Canal Street to the end of the line and took the free ferry to Algiers. The ferry is so fast. There in less than 10 minutes. This was kind of an overview. We had a great time.

3  Thank luvtotravelAtlanta
Reviewed 11 April 2009

We stayed at County Inn and Suites before a six a.m. flight. The staff was wonderful. They gave us suggestions for our last night in New Orleans. They checked to make sure we had everything we needed. The room was quiet and clean. Our shuttle driver was fun and prompt,, which is pretty amazing at 4:30 a.m. We will definitely stay here the next time we visit New Orleans. We expected a functional stay, but felt welcomed and at home.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WhackaWhacka
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Stayed with my daughter on a 7 day vacation. Excellent location. Continental breakfast was plentiful. Staff on the front desk could have been more friendly. Room was fine but could have been cleaned better. Found a pair of children's shoes under my bed on our last day, wonder how long they had been there, if they had cleaned under the bed regularly they would have found them. Poor TV reception on several channels. If your room overlooks an ally turn it down as the rubbish bins get emptied between 4 - 5 am each day and the noise wakes you up. Would stay at this hotel if in New Orleans again but would ask for an interior room which would be more quite.

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank susan096
Reviewed 26 March 2009

The Country Inn on Magazine Street in New Orleans is a great spot for the budget traveler. It's very nice, small room, but great service and in the best location. This hotel is within minutes of the French Quarter and all the action. They have a nice little gym and even a small bar with happy hour specials every day. We stayed there before going on a cruise and it really was the perfect location. They have a concierge on site that can assist you in getting to the cruise terminal and around New Orleans.

We ate at Acme which was great, not sure it was as great as all the hype says, but well-priced. We also ate at Deanie's which was excellent! The service was impeccable and gumbo was great. If you plan on riding the trolley's anywhere, be sure you have exact change or you can't get on. Definitely go to Cafe du Monde for a beignet!

There is A LOT to see so be sure to bring your walking shoes.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tempetraveler31
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I recently blocked and filled 15 rooms at the Country Inn and Suites for our March 7, 2009 wedding in New Orleans and all I can say is "wow" and "thank you thank you thank you" to Lisa and the entire staff there! I booked this hotel based on convenience, but what I got was much more than I anticipated, from my locals that stayed there as to not drive home after the wedding to out of towners, I received nothing but rave after rave! The rooms were spacious, had that wonderful "Old New Orleans" charm, high ceilings, comfortable beds, great staff, a charming pool area and very very reasonably priced, walking distance to all the great downtown and french quarter attractions, too! More guests, even locals, had never even considered this hotel previously but now plan to return and stay there again and again. Several local guests commented they would choose to go there just for a quick weekend getaway from home. I can't thank everyone there enough for impressing me and our wedding guests to this extent!! (my little niece especially loved the front library area and the cookies, too!!)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank nola030709
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Rude front desk attendants. Unaccomodating. Will not be back again. I booked two queen beds through Travelocity, and they gave me a King bed. When I went down and spoke with the front desk attendant, she made no effort to accomodate us appropriately. The Manager was also standing at the front desk and didn't say a word. At least an apology would have been nice to hear, especially from Management. It is clear that this place is mismanaged and customers do not come first. I'm thoroughly dissappointed since I relied on the good reviews I had read about the place on TripAdvisor. While it is relatively close to the French Quarter, it is not that convenient. And, for the lousy service I've experienced thus far, I would have preferred to pay more for a more conveniently located and with better service. Sorry, but I would not recommend nor stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family