“Great hotel for the money, excellent location”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter
Ranked #43 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 1 April 2010

My 17-year-old daughter and I traveled to New Orleans for a family event at Loyola University. For $955, we had a Hotwire.com package for RT airfare from Dulles Intl. Airport and five nights at the hotel. Country Inn & Suites New Orleans is at the intersection of Canal and Magazine (where it turns into Decatur), so it is a very short walk to everything the French Quarter and Riverwalk areas have to offer. Plus, it is just one block to the St. Charles and Canal streetcars, and you can catch the Magazine St. bus to and from Audubon Zoo. The hotel is homey and clean; staff are very hospitable. There's a small bar and lounge in the lobby, free cookies, a concierge, a small pool, and a courtyard garden with a smoking area. There's complimentary hot coffee and breakfast every morning. Valet at the front door, luggage storage upon arrival or departure. Airport Shuttle offers exceptional, prompt door-to-door service for $40/person RT so you don't need a car. This is a great hotel for families and people who want convenience but don't want to spend hundreds a night. Be sure to visit the Aquarium, IMAX, and Insectarium, and Preservation Hall. The Creole Queen jazz dinner cruise was just so-so; fun to be on the boat, but the food and music were just average, plus the seating isn't intimate (you'll share a table with other parties) and the whole thing is on the expensive side ($60 per person). I'd recommend spending the money at a good restaurant and taking a cheaper river cruise earlier in the day. Mother's restaurant is just around the corner! Great po-boys and fun atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LoriPete

Reviewed 30 March 2010

Stayed here while attending a convention at the Hilton a few blocks away. Not much to say that hasn't already been lauded: hotel is situated in a set of restored buildings, so the lobby and room had a unique feel (high ceilings, exposed rafters, brick walls). The small bar in the back of the lobby has very reasonably priced food and drinks. Breakfast was of much higher quality than I've experienced at similar hotels -- in addition to the usual cereal, fruit salad, and pastries, there was a waffle station and a rotating selection of hot breakfast items. Staff seemed to do a good job of keeping the food stations well stocked.

One complaint: My room was street-facing, on the third floor, and I could hear quite a bit of street noise. The street's not particularly busy, so it wasn't a major nuisance, but if such things bother you, you might consider a room away from the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank cyberwulf
Reviewed 28 March 2010

My boyfriend is a native of New Orleans (I'm also a graduate of Loyola New Orleans); however, since I was traveling to New Orleans with a friend in December 2009, we decided to get a hotel instead of staying with said boyfriend's family since we were going to do "touristy" things and the family lives on the other side of the river. I found a fantastic deal on hotels.com for 50% off what its normal prices are for the weekend before Christmas.

The thing I liked the most about the hotel was its location...it's two blocks away from Canal Street, so a walk into the French Quarter takes less than ten minutes. It's very accessible for anyone on foot. We thought the service at the hotel was good; the people at the reception desk were friendly with me and answered all questions. In the evenings on the weekend, there is someone at a small desk on hand to assist with questions on sights/restaurants. We did not have a car with us so I cannot comment on the parking, but what is nice is that there is an area to pick up a taxi right in front, which is what we did a few times. Continental breakfast is available as part of the price, but with New Orleans being a great food city, it's almost a shame to waste a meal on the hotel food! There is also a bar in the hotel, but again, with New Orleans being a great drinking city, we did not use the bar.

The room itself was comfortable, clean, and spacious, including the bathroom. We had an issue with the door lock one day, but a repairman was sent to fix it immediately. We were on the fifth floor overlooking Magazine Street, and we did not hear any street noise on the weekend.

Overall, it was a nice stay at the hotel, and if I were to go back to New Orleans again needing a hotel, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SLHohen
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Got internet special so place was great for the price, dont know if I would be as happy if I paid $150 a night. Right in between Bourbon St and Harrahs, 5 minute walk either way. Review about noise are correct, try and get off street and away from elevators. Rooms small but nice, hotel charming, pleasant experience. I wouldnt say it is 5 star service but who goes to NOLA and stays in their room anyways. You can valet for 30, or park yourself for 15 a day a block towards Poydras. John the bartender has good suggestions, try the cookies. Try Deanies for dinner, good price, great food, more casual atmosphere

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We booked an executive room which the hotel advertises as having "extra space." It did not. Just looking at the configuration of the wing -- overlooking the lobby -- it was probably one of the smallest rooms available. Our only window the inside of the hotel. I asked to be moved but the hotel was full. The sheets were dirty on one of our two queen beds. The internet was not high speed. On the plus side, the renovation of several old buildings is attractively done and the location is great. They made some effort to have different hot breakfast items every morning. The concierge was friendly. I would not stay here again for a convention, when the hotel is full, but would consider staying again if I was guaranteed a room in a different location.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank biondabear
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Great location, parked in a nearby lot for $15.00, no in and out privileges. Charming hotel, had reserved two queen beds, checked in, went up to my room, and I had a king.
Front desk could not resolve it, and it put a damper on my short vacation. Breakast was good.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Loved this hotel. We did a lot of research as we wanted to stay in an affordable hotel near the French Quarter. This hotel turned out to be perfect! Round the corner was all the action, plus stores in case you needed anything late at night (which we did). The lobby is charming, breakfast is included and plentiful. The room was a good size and the bed was HUGE! The front desk helped me locate some really good eating joints (Deanies - LOVED IT, Messinas). There's no self-parking (although you can valet for about $26 per 24 hours with in and out privileges) or there is self-parking down the street (no in and out privileges).

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Central Business District
Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Courtyard New Orleans French Quarter/Iberville
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New Orleans French Quarter? Share your experiences!