“Like Staying at a Friend's House”

Garden District B&B
Ranked #46 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I read many great reviews about this place, so my husband and I decided that we would give it a try! We stayed over the weekend and had the BEST time! The service is unbelievably personal (Thanks Ray!) and the home is privately owned and managed by the two owners. We stayed in a balcony suite which has a bedroom, private bathroom, a sitting room and balcony! There was a mini fridge stocked with milk, orange juice and yogurt. There was a cofffee pot, mugs and wine glasses. There was a free continental breakfast as well as dry cereal in our room. The bed was amazingly comfortable which made it difficult to get up in the morning and the antique tub was beautiful. This type of bed and breakfast is definitely a MUST for tourists- the New Orleans style home is perfect for an authentic experience and the service really screams "Southern Hospitality." Do not plan to stay here if you want the upscale ritzy hotel experience. Come for the authenticity and personal attention. This bed and breakfast is also in a perfect location! It is within walking distance of local bars and shopping. It is surrounded by beautiful homes and is close to public transit. The street car is only a few blocks away and the city bus stops right in front of the house! This bed and breakfast offers free wireless internet and they have a desktop computer if needed. It rained on our trip and Ray gave us an umbrella to borrow for our walk! It is the details that matter and it is the details that will keep me coming back!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GeauxSouthernBelle

Reviewed 9 January 2010

Two weeks ago we spent the Christmas holidays at this wonderful B&B. Before writing this review I read many of the current reviews (I didn't check TripAdvisor prior to booking) and I'm not sure I would have believed all of the glowing reviews... BELIEVE THEM! This old Victorian home is a great place to stay. As many of the reviews point out, the rooms are spotless, the value can't be beat, and the proprietors (Ray & Luis) are the nicest people you'll ever want to meet! Twice Luis personally took us Downtown instead of letting us wait for the bus (which stops right out front, costs the same as the Streetcar, and gets places quicker than the Streetcars).

If you're looking for thick wall-to-wall carpet, room service, and satellite TV, go to a Marriott or Sheraton - this is a 100+ year old house. Yes, it can be drafty, creaky, and you'll probably hear the next door neighbors... you're staying in a family neighborhood! The rooms are clean & comfortable, with heat/AC, and windows that open; the beds are comfortable and all linens are clean, with fresh towels daily. The complementary orange juice & milk in the frig, ground coffee & creamer, and cold cereal are all restocked daily. As 1 review suggests, you must try Ray's homemade blueberry muffins (a great assortment of pastries are provided every morning in the parlor), they are the best I've ever eaten.

You get the idea; read the other reviews... and believe them. I'll never stay in the French Quarter again. The Garden District is much quieter, very safe after dark, and easy & quick enough to get to that there's no reason to put up with the hassles of staying on Canal St. or in the Quarter.

One irritation: the shower (at least in the Rose room) is so small it's almost unusable. It's a shame the bathroom wall wasn't pushed another foot into the kitchen area to make for a more friendly bathroom.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CalifRef
Reviewed 15 December 2009

We were return visitors having stayed in the balcony room before we chose the patio room on this occasion. The patio garden was beautiful even though it was a very rainy weekend when we couldn't sit in the garden we sat in the screened in porch and watched the rain. The B&B is a old house typical of the neighborhood so expect it to be a little quirky.
Raynell is a great host, very knowledgeable about the area and restaurant choices. On the subject of restaurants, within 3 or 4 blocks you can eat in one of the finest new restaurants in town - Coquette; eat a greatest roast beef poboy in the USA - Parasols; not to mention Joey Ks for that neighborhood feel and Steins Deli for great (non poboy!) sandwiches.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Second time staying in The Garden District B & B. Just as good second time around!
To begin with the location is perfect. Right in the midst of the beautiful Garden District of New Orleans. Plenty of places to eat & shop nearby.
We were a very pleasant 5 block walk away from St.Charles Ave & it's Streetcar line. The streetcars take you right to the edge of the French Quarter. We went to the Superdome while there and got there real easy too.
The B & B is lovely. This trip we stayed in the 'Rose' room. Had a nice view out onto the rear courtyard. The bed was really comfortable & the place was spotless. Room was ensuite with a good hot shower, lots of wee extra's there too (hairdryer was a great bonus as I had forgot to bring mine!). Kitchenette was great - had a huge fridge, microwave,toaster, etc. Coffee maker there too & we also had OJ, milk, cereal, yoghurt available.
The owners also provided fruit & cookies etc in the main reception area - also lots of leaflets, taxi information etc. They were able to give good tips on getting around the city easily.
We also made good use of the wireless internet as we had a laptop with us.
What's lovely about this B & B is that when you walk in, it's like stepping back in time, but yet it has all the comforts of modern day living.
Would recommend it highly & would hope to stay here again if ever back in New Orleans. Thanks to the owners for making our stay so comfortable :-)

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alemap07
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I stayed here April 13 to 16th. I picked this place because it met all 4 of my requirements. It was in the Garden District, was a Historical Building, My Room had a Balcony, and it sounded like a GREAT deal! I had done a lot of comparison shopping and this place offered a great stay for a very decent price.

The location is great. There is a bus stop (both directions) basically right in front of the place. The Street Car is a few blocks up. I know it is fun to ride the Streetcar (this was my third trip) but the Magazine Bus took you right to Canal Street and you just have to walk a few steps from the B&B to catch it. So getting to/ from the Quarter is fast and easy. Of course you could also take the bus the other way and visit the Zoo ect.

I love to walk and I found that it was a great central point. I walked into the French Quarter one day, the Wall Mart (I know you’ll hate me for that) another, and out to the Zoo area the next. The scenery was fascinating as always.

There are plenty of coffee shops, restaurants and stores starting just a couple blocks down the street on Magazine. I liked to walk over to a coffee shop up on Washington next to the Cemetery, but the other shops were nice too. There is also a PoBoy Resturant (it was good/clean/friendly). I think 4 houses away. There was a Large Grocery Store I think 4 blocks away and a gas station a block or two away.

Anyway my point is that you are right where you need to be or can easily get there on the bus or streetcar. If you get tired of walking you simply hop the bus and your right back at the B&B. Okay, enough about its great location and handy transportation.

I do need to mention that I had thought I would be able to take the Airport Shuttle (15.00) when I arrived in New Orleans (was in Charleston) but the Shuttle said it was not on the drop off list. I had never really checked into it, because I usually stay in the Quarter and kinda thought they did the entire Garden District too. It is not a huge deal. I simply walked outside and took a cab. (28.00) instead. Whatever! The price of the room makes up for the taxi cost. And I would simply know to stand in the Taxi line sooner next time is all. (I’d stay here again)

Check was fast and easy. The Owner was even nice enough to help me carry my suitcase up to my room. I thought the owner did a great job of making me feel at home and was on site most of the time. Anytime they were out they left clear instructions of how to get a hold of them in case they were needed on their door.

I know the patio room is the most popular, but I had chosen to stay in one of the two “Balcony Rooms”. My Bed was very comfortable and I was very happy with the size of my room. The room (and rest of B&B) was clean and well kept. The sitting room’s day bed is also very comfy. My room had more TV channels and books and magazines than I knew what to do with. I spent a great deal of time out on the balcony reading magazines and pretending I lived there. The Coffee Pot/Fridge and everything else worked fine. There was also a microwave, but I never used it. I really enjoyed the Juice my fridge was stocked with. There was also some cereals, milk, and yogurts for snacks. The generous amount of morning Pastries and fruit was served in the main lobby each day.

The bathroom was clean and I really liked the claw bathtub. The water pressure and hot water was fine. It took a minute to get hot but once it was there never was a problem of it running out. They had the usual soap and shampoo in a basket but also a couple of things that I thought were kinda unexpected.. and made me smile. I also noticed a Blow Dryer, and Clothes Iron but never had use for them. I really think that if you needed something they would have it. My one and only complaint is that the bathroom is in a bit of an inconvenient location. Not a huge deal in the big picture I suppose.

My favourite thing about the room was the piles and piles of travel magazines and Southern Living they had to read. I love Magazines and it wasn’t long before I was switching my huge pile with the huge pile in the lobby. I never did get through that whole pile, but was pretty sure I could find more in the other rooms. OH! I was lucky enough to get a peak at the Patio Room and it was REALLY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I would ask for that one the next time. But even the “rose” room was pretty nice. I can’t say there was a Bad room in this place, and I sure can’t complain about the price. It was more than fair.

Check Out went fine, and the Owner went above and beyond for me.

It’s a NICE place owned by NICE People in a NICE area at a NICE price. Give it a try. I am glad I did. I left this B&B to go stay in the Quarter at the Bourbon Orleans for the FQF. It was nice too… but no free breakfast… no balcony.. and they expected you to buy your own magazines!! Can you imagine! And of course at Twice the price.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank ImFrmCanada
Reviewed 24 February 2009

My family and I had a beautiful and relaxing experience at the Garten District B &B. Raynell was very hospitable and catered to our every need! Don´t miss her homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast!
The Patio Suite is a step into paradise. My daughter (5 years old) was thrilled to see a bird house with frequent chirping visitors. This place is really a hidden gem. Thank you Ray and Luis for making our visit so enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank neworleansnative
Reviewed 23 February 2009

The room was perfectly clean and very spacious (with the exception of the rather small bathroom, which is only as large as it needs to be for a shower, sink, and toilet.)

The hosts were excellent and very accommodating of my arrival and departure schedule. The cable TV and broadband wifi access worked flawlessly. The window air conditioner was quiet and more than sufficient (yes, it was warm and a bit steamy outside on one of those January nights.) The bed was firm and comfortable. I didn’t use the day bed but it felt comfortable when I sat on it.

I will definitely try to stay here on my next trip to New Orleans and I highly recommend it, especially for a single traveler or couple (I stayed in the smaller porch room.) The location was great for me because my daughter lives in the area.

A portable privacy screen is the only improvement I can think of to divide the sleeping area from the kitchenette to allow for some physical privacy while changing when another person is in the room.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo