New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #62 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Location is good. Help is attentive. DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 1517. There is an air handling unit of some sort in an adjoining room that caused loud noise and vibrations in the room.

I was moved to room 1527 and everything there was fine.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 1517
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank scalwag

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Despite having reservations and a confirmation number I was told when I got to my hotel they did not have a room for me. I was not even afforded the courtesy of a phone call. They did book me in another property far from where I needed to be. Just when I thought it could not get worse the hotel was under construction. Wish I could share these pictures I am looking at a series of toilets ready to be installed. Shame on you Marriott your in the hospitality business

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Cartman112
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Across the board I give this Marriott an average rating compared to others I have stayed with. Very clean and comfortable beds. I was here for a convention. I did not get the room I paid for on the concierges level with a kind room. Instead it was a double, with the bed so close to the entry that you had to dodge to keep from banging knees. I stayed in the room though because the view was fantastic and nothing was left on the level I asked for. The showers were not as hot as I like them and the pressure was weak. The staff is laid back and super nice. If there were 10 stars for the staff I would give it to them. I did have entry to the concierges lounge which by far is the best one in any Marriott worldwide that I have been in. Very clean, nice staff and the fresh yogurt with granola was delicious. The bar drinks and food were ok but don't waste your time here. Head out to the French Quarter.
I liked the location safe, secure and found it a good spot to the French Quarter but rather expensive. For the 4 days at this hotel, my trip expense was more than my 3 week vacation in Europe. Seriously, this was outrageous.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel during the week of Thanksgiving. From the time we entered the lobby, the service was mediocre. The front desk staff was impatient and didn't appreciate multiple questions being asked of them. The staff seemed to want to have their own conversations with each other rather than servicing the guests. We tried on numerous occasions to try to engage the bar staff, our waiter and the front desk staff, but their response was one of a cold formality . Please beware that the housekeeping staff does not change your sheets everyday. They only make up your beds and wipe down the counters and provide clean towels. They didn't replace the toiletries when we used them. This was quite unfortunate as the hotel is beautiful and the proximity to attractions is fantastic. Beware- The walls are super thin. Super Nice Touch- The hotel provides, ice cold water with slices of lemon every afternoon for their guests. While you are in the area I would recommend the following places to eat with great service and great food: Mulate's, Huck Finn's, 5 Fifty 5 ( Marriott on Canal St.), and Poppy's ( Riverwalk). I would not recommend Daisy Dukes- poor service and cold food. Also avoid the Mini Mart on the corner. They charged me $3.25 for a bottled water. Everything is walking distance from the hotel. I was in town for a football classic and walked to/from the Superdome twice.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We had an issue with someone smoking very heavily near our room and it seeped into our room & we mentioned this to the front desk staff and WOW!! They went above & beyond to take care of things!!! And, the Bell Hop staff made you feel like you were leaving home and coming back home when you were in and out the front door. Loved the warm and friendly feeling by all!!! GOOD job!!!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Hotel was super clean. Beds and pillows fabulous! When we checked in, we were put in a double room but had reserved a king. I called the front desk and they immediately found us a king room on the same floor.

Parking is expensive ($31 + tax a day) but valets were very friendly and quick. Right across from street from riverfront/shopping area. It is a long walk to French Quarter. This is more of a business hotel. There are great restaurants within walking distance. We ate at Mulate's for lunch and Grand Isle for dinner. Both were great. Starbucks in the lobby!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2011

hotel had very nice & clean rooms, the staff was friendly...but location was a long walk from french quarter & not sure about late night safety along the way. parking expensive & slow.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#33 of 166 in New Orleans
JW Marriott New Orleans
JW Marriott New Orleans
#71 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!