New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #43 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Long Beach, California
“Great stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We only had the pleasure of staying here one night, but they went above and beyond for us! We checked in this hotel very late for one night because we weren't pleased with our original paid hotel and refused to sleep in our rooms. Not only did the Marriott find a room for us on a busy festival weekend but considering it was 5am in the morning and we were checking in they gave us a late checkout because they felt charging us full price for a 6 hour stay would be wrong. We only stayed one night or a few hours I should say, but the staff was very friendly and sympathetic to our previous hotel problems! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear jrmint27,

We take hosting brilliantly very seriously and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed considerate, thoughtful and accommodating service. While New Orleans has a lot of busy, exciting festivals all year round, we always make sure to take care of our guests and do our very best to make sure they have an excellent New Orleans experience. Should you return to New Orleans, we highly recommend spending a few days with us in the Arts & Warehouse District, where you can discover celebrated New Orleans' restaurants like Peche, Cochon and Emeril's, as well as unbelievable shopping in the nearby luxury outlets at Riverwalk. It would be our pleasure to host you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 6 nights in comfort with no problems. To be very picky housekeeping was it's weak point. No washcloths; no ice bucket liners; no clean glasses last 3 days. Would I stay again? Certainly, especially if I needed to be near the convention center. 3+ but not 4 stars.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear dunncountry,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location during your long stay. We are indeed perfectly situated across from the Convention Center, as close by New Orleans’ most famous restaurants, music venues, and shopping destinations. We hope you were able to experience the Howlin’ Wolf, Root, and other amazing New Orleans spots during your stay. Please accept our apologies that your stay was not flawless and we will certainly use your feedback to improve our guests’ experience in the future.
brentwood tennessee
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night before cruise depart on Sunday.
It is not a long way to walk to the streetcars, Harrahs, not the French Quarter. 15 minutes tops at strolling pace- which we enjoyed after a great meal at Desire. Felt safe. Easy check in- room as requested. Very clean and pretty room. No complaints for 4 adults. All service was great. Valet parking is pricey but the expected rate when in New Orleans. Very convenient to cruise terminal less than 5 mile drive.

Would stay here next time. Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014
Dear youaremysunshine,

We deeply appreciate your feedback! It's wonderful to hear that you found our hotel ideally located near the cruise terminal. We love hosting our cruise guests before they depart and hearing about their cruise adventures on their return! Additionally, our neighborhood, New Orleans' Arts & Warehouse District, is so walkable and we're glad that you were able to experience the fantastic dining that this neighborhood has to offer. We hope you had a chance to stroll down Julia Street's famous art galleries. Thank you again and we eagerly await your return!
Boaz, Alabama
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean but it wasn't really close to anything except the convention center. It was a long walk to French quarter and bourbon street. The parking is expensive and the valets are always waiting for their tip. I would prefer to stay somewhere near the street car or in town.

Stayed June 2014
OpsManagerMCC, Director of Hotel Operations at New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Croppinnut,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center. I’m sorry you found our location inconvenient. As you mentioned, we are just across the street from the Convention Center but we are not in the French Quarter. One option for a guest staying at our hotel that doesn’t want to make the walk to the French Quarter is the Riverfront Streetcar. Its conveniently located just across Convention Center Blvd and it has a few stops that are in the French Quarter. One stop puts you at Jackson Square in the heart of the French Quarter. I’m glad you found our hotel clean. We work very hard to maintain a clean and defect free product for our guests to enjoy.

I hope you will consider us for your next visit to New Orleans. Our Hotel is located in an area called the Warehouse District. It’s become a great destination for locals and tourist visiting the City. We have some of New Orleans best dining, shopping and attractions just a few steps away.

Paul Reggio
Director of Hotel Operations
Pearl, Mississippi
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed on 7/2 and 7/7/14, check in was smooth and quick and even though check in is not til 3pm,we were able to go straight to our room especially on the morning of the 7th as we arrived at hotel @ 10am
Front desk staff very helpful and friendly, one guy knew what we were going to need before we asked(sorry I didn't get his name),all staff members were personable and attentive
The rooms were comfortable and roomy even though we didn't spend much time there
Breakfast on the morning of the 7th was tasty and filling(omelet, pancakes, sausage, the orange & pineapple juices were refreshing with good taste.
Great place to stay if you're attending events at the convention ctr, or taking a cruise out of New Orleans, and if you don't mind walking, Harrahs casino is within distance as is the Trolley, the newly renovated Riverwalk Outlet shops are right across the street also, we didn't have a need for valet service because we came in on Amtrak, the fare from station from to hotel is $10.00 flat rate, same rate to cruise terminal also. Highly recommended, Great place to stay!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Doll,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! It's great that you found our rooms comfortable, our service excellent, and our location convenient, plus it was easy and affordable it is to get to our hotel with public transportation! We're also happy to hear that you were delighted with our tasty breakfast. It would be our pleasure to host you again on your next visit from Mississippi.
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for getaway weekend. Room was ready when I arrived. All the extras I requested was in the room. Beds were extremely comfortable. We had breakfast in the hotel. Chef Leroy makes the BEST Omelettes. Hotel right across the street from Riverwalk, great shopping. For the 3 nights we stayed, no heard no noise. I would highly recommend this hotel!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DT12342013,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We're delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay. We couldn't agree more about Chef's omelettes and the great shopping at nearby Riverwalk. Our guests love having dozens of amazing outlet stores just a block from our front doors- we highly recommend checking out the Cafe Du Monde and food court as well! We hope to see you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2014

There was only two nice things to say about this hotel, the young woman at night check-in who had spent several minutes to find me a river view room and one friendly bell person (Justin) who was kind and helpful as well. Otherwise it was problem after problem with rude service. Valet parking is 35 dollars a day + tip. And self park is 20 dollars a day but is several blocks away! If you have a lot of luggage you almost have no choice but to valet. The room was average but the air in the room was very muggy despite turning the air conditioning on a very low temp. It caused the bed sheets to feel constantly damp. I had to use a fan to sleep. Both my roommate and I had found small brown stains on our sheets. There was also black hairs in our bathtub. The walls in the room are very thin, you can hear everyone around you. Our first night we were interrupted by loud bangs on the walls and our neighbors being loudly vocal. After the noise went on for the better half of an hour late at night- my roommate called front desk to ask if they could ask them to quiet down. We were bothered by the noise night and day. The following morning, we ordered room service for breakfast and found hair on the bacon. We called guest services and were connected to the head chef who offered to replace the meal as well as remove it from our bill. Later we found out upon check out, that it had NOT been removed from the bill. On our second night we requested a change of sheets and fresh towels. When we arrived back to our room in the evening, we noticed that our sheets had not been changed and the duvet had only been pulled over the same dirty sheets from the night before, no fresh towels as well as the same hairs in the tub. My roommate called the front desk and asked for housekeeping to come change the sheets AGAIN, clean the tub, and bring us towels. The housekeeper arrived just as we were leaving for dinner and my we reminded the housekeeper herself, that we just wanted the sheets changed and a couple towels. When we came back to our room it was very late and we were extremely tired- we noticed the same hair in the tub and that our sheets STILL had not been changed but the housekeeper had just placed a folded set of sheets on the bed for us to change ourselves! I find it unbelievable that a four star hotel would expect it's guests to change their own sheets! The next day at checkout we asked to speak to the manager about our problems and he was extremely unapologetic, insensitive and had an excuse for just about everything we said. I find it very unprofessional for for a manager to act so callous towards hotel guests. He spoke in a very condescending manner and made us feel as if he thought we were making everything up. I had taken pictures of the stains and hair and told the manager that I had done so, and he asked if we had pictures of the folded sheets as if he thought we were lying. I replied that the sheets were still folded on the floor of the room. On top of all of that, I had misplaced my Valet ticket called to ask what I should do, I was told that it was no problem and I would just have to show the valet my ID. When I went down to the lobby to ask the valet if he could look mine up, he acted as if he was upset with me and firmly told me that it was unacceptable to lose my ticket. At first I thought he was just sarcastically joking, and I asked if he was serious. He sharply replied "Yes Ma'am." He then stomped off to the valet desk to look up my info and then reluctantly went to get my car. I felt as if I was being punished for doing something bad. The entire stay left a bad taste in my mouth from the Marriott chain. I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kosmogurlkt
OpsManagerMCC, Director of Hotel Operations at New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Kosmogurlkt,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm very bothered by the challenges you faced during your stay. The amount of detail you provided gives me great training topics to share with my teams. I can assure you we do not expect our guests to change their own sheets! This is not the experience we want anyone to have at our hotel and I promise it is not normal.

Our parking rates are competitive with the New Orleans market. I realize this may seem a bit expensive but as you mentioned in your review, there are self-parking options just a couple blocks away. Many of our guests who choose to self-park will unload their luggage before parking the vehicle.

Thank you for recognizing the young lady at the Front Desk and Justin. I will be sure to thank them for their service.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can do anything to assist you!

Paul Reggio