“House Of Wax”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“House Of Wax”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Well, I have a real weakness for wax museums- the more interesting the better! This isn't the place to expect Madame Tussuads celebs; this is the history of New Orleans and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. The city has an amazing history from the Siege of New Orleans to Marie Laveau and you really will learn so much following the history through; there are even spooky additions like the breathing waxwork during the Siege scene I think, and a quite small Chamber of Horrors which is still spooky! I visited during September and it was empty when I visited and I think the opening hours are quite limited too it's best to ring ahead and check but it is definitely worth visiting!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank natalieandmonkey

Covington, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“one of my favorite places to visit since childhood”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

great wax museum with historical bent. Educational, spooky, and a nice air-conditioned, dark space to escape the New Orleans heat!

New Orleans, Louisiana
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“After your tour”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Go here after you've taken a historical walking tour of the Quarter because it is going to take all of those stories you heard on the tour and bring them to life! I really like this place. Not a lot of people go here so it isn't crowded. It's been here a long time and it needs guests. This is also a great place to take kids.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Louise H
Houston
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“An inexpensive and informative introduction to the French Quarter”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I've visited a lot of wax museums in my lifetime and most of them have been pretty lame, leaning heavily on celebitards and popular culture for their content. The Musee Conti is an exception. While its facade is not imposing, the content of the museum is one of the best wax museums I have visited. Not only are the exhibits well done and well maintained, they provide an informative backdrop of the French Quarter and New Olreans on which the new tourist can draw on to visit other attractions. For instance, the LaLaurie House on Royal Street. The exhibit explains the history of the house most recently owned by actor Nicholas Cage and its reputation of being haunted. The sadistic lady about town Madam LaLaurie tortured slaves in her attic while entertaining other city figures, between meal courses I imagine. Another is the part the local convent played as way station for "casket girl" mail order brides. Well not really mail order, but monarchy ordered brides for the colony. Another is the Jean Lafite Blacksmith shop, which the museum exhibit highlights its part in the Battle of New Orleans. All in all it was well worth the $7 admission, quite cheap actually, considering the price of a beer on Bourbon Street. I would highly recommend it. Oh, if you just half to have popular culture in wax, don't miss the right turn just before the exit, into the wing with the horror movie figures. Those were well done too.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Hisey
Salt Lake City
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Do not pay for this unless you have a Power Pass”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

It was only about New Orleans history and not very good at that. We were behind a group of students with a guide that was constantly talking so loud we both found it difficult to read the signs below the was figures. When we were done we asked the receptionist if there was more. No we were told. It takes maybe 20 minutes max to visit. It was ok but nothing like the wax museaums we are use too. I would guess this was made in the 1960's.

Visited October 2012