“Good but could make improvements”

Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe
Hurricane Katrina Tour of New Orleans
Ranked #69 of 216 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gray Line New Orleans opened in 1924. It is a locally owned and operated business with highly trained and licensed guides providing 13 different tours a day.
calgary
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Good but could make improvements”
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We did the super city and Katrina combo tour. It was good but a small bus would have been better. It was a bit pricey especially for kids. There was only one stop at a cemetery. I had done a tour before where they also stopped at the park. That was better. The other company also led us around the graveyard and shared stories whereas this tour just let us wander the cemetery on our own. My family wished we had done the get on get off open air bus so I guess they weren't really satisfied. I did like the Katrina portion and St Charles street but it is hard to enjoy or take pictures through a large tour bus with darkened windows.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank xmas05

Tallahassee, Florida
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“This was creepy and I was uncomfortable looking at others' misery”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I really did not like this tour. We went to the lakeside district that was totally underwater during Katrina. It was refreshing to see so many homes rebuilt and new homes too and to see the city rebuilding, but it just didn't feel right to be looking at what had been the site of so much misery for others. I was uncomfortable the whole time and was glad when this part of our tour was over. I was part of a group bus tour so I didn't get to pick all the stops and sights on the tour. I could have done without this one. If you are a disaster junkie, this is the tour for you. Having been through a Category 5 hurricane myself this tour brought back bad memories and just made me want to cry for all the poor folks who were hurt by Katrina. Very depressing, to my mind. And all the fancy new canal locks and walls do not look like they will really prevent another disaster either. Good luck, New Orleans and best wishes, but I don't want to see anything like this again.

Visited March 2013
9 Thank scoobytrips
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Enlightening”
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

The news centered on just a few areas of the devastation, but after this tour, you realize that although not everyone experienced the 5 to 8 feet of water, Katrina impacted ALL walks of life in this beautiful city. Thanks to Mary and George for a very enlightening 3 hours.

1 Thank Neebish
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“After 5 years, time to make a change”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I attended the Katrina Tour first in the summer of 2007. It was so depressing as many of the homes were still visibly damaged, some with boats docked on the roofs. So it felt good to see the progress made. You can still see evidence of the flooding and houses that are simply missing from vacant lots. However it takes more imagination to see the devastation with your minds eye. If it were me, I'd start to think about how to transform this tour to something else; maybe call it gulf tragedies and add more on the oil spills? Perhaps focus on MRGO and how it has impacted the wetlands?

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Aaron S
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Year later still very interesting”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We took the Hurricane Katrina tour with Grayline in November, 2012. Year after the storm the tour was still interesting particularly with the guide that we had, John. We saw the levee breech sites, still damaged homes/neighborhoods, Brad Pitt's donation homes, memorial sites and a quick stop into beautiful gardens along the way. While many of the areas are rebuilt, John's local knowledge and first hand experience helped us relive the events and better understand this difficult event for the city. Also, as of November, 2012, we were able to drive through the 9th ward. The laws/regulations had just changed on that. I would recommend the tour to a friend interesting in learning more about Hurricane Katrina. AAA Discount is available.

Visited November 2012