“2.5 hour Katrina/City Tour - must do”

Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe
Hurricane Katrina Tour of New Orleans
Ranked #70 of 232 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gray Line New Orleans opened in 1924. It is a locally owned and operated business with highly trained and licensed guides providing 13 different tours a day.
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We took the short version of this trip and it was well worth it to see the 9th Ward and to hear the history and stories of the devastation that Katrina brought. I'm not sure if there are more options than the Gray Line tour, but this is the one we took. $48 for the trip. Besides touring the 9th Ward and learning about and seeing the levy system, we also visited the Garden District, Lake Pontchartrain, and made our way down Canal Street. Our tour started at the Natchez River Boat in the French Quarter.

3  Thank MindyS3

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I picked this tour because so much about the aftermath of Katrina was not covered in the media. Not only were all of my questions answered, but I learned what I didn't know I needed to know. I got a feel for the resilience of the people of New Orleans and the priorities of those from all over the world who came to the aid of the city with various gifts. I had also very much wanted to see the Brad Pitt houses which stand as an example of low carbon footprint housing; something the rest of the nation could learn from. It is very informative to see how this project is shaping up. I also appreciated the personalized eye witness account given by the tour guide herself. Her story gave me an idea of the pride and history of the people of New Orleans as well as how Katrina caused a shift in the demographics, industry and politics of the city.

2  Thank akovattana
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We did the super city and Katrina combo tour. It was good but a small bus would have been better. It was a bit pricey especially for kids. There was only one stop at a cemetery. I had done a tour before where they also stopped at the park. That was better. The other company also led us around the graveyard and shared stories whereas this tour just let us wander the cemetery on our own. My family wished we had done the get on get off open air bus so I guess they weren't really satisfied. I did like the Katrina portion and St Charles street but it is hard to enjoy or take pictures through a large tour bus with darkened windows.

1  Thank xmas05
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I really did not like this tour. We went to the lakeside district that was totally underwater during Katrina. It was refreshing to see so many homes rebuilt and new homes too and to see the city rebuilding, but it just didn't feel right to be looking at what had been the site of so much misery for others. I was uncomfortable the whole time and was glad when this part of our tour was over. I was part of a group bus tour so I didn't get to pick all the stops and sights on the tour. I could have done without this one. If you are a disaster junkie, this is the tour for you. Having been through a Category 5 hurricane myself this tour brought back bad memories and just made me want to cry for all the poor folks who were hurt by Katrina. Very depressing, to my mind. And all the fancy new canal locks and walls do not look like they will really prevent another disaster either. Good luck, New Orleans and best wishes, but I don't want to see anything like this again.

9  Thank scoobytrips
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The news centered on just a few areas of the devastation, but after this tour, you realize that although not everyone experienced the 5 to 8 feet of water, Katrina impacted ALL walks of life in this beautiful city. Thanks to Mary and George for a very enlightening 3 hours.

1  Thank Neebish