“Good Hurricane Katrina tour”

Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe
Hurricane Katrina Tour of New Orleans
Ranked #68 of 232 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gray Line New Orleans opened in 1924. It is a locally owned and operated business with highly trained and licensed guides providing 13 different tours a day.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We were taken by bus on a tour of the devastation caused by hurricane Katrina which included a tour of the 9th Ward where Katrina did the most of her damage. A lot of the devastation Katrina did still shows. Many homes are still in disrepair, still having the chop out areas where occupants were rescued. Many people had to leave the area and were sent outside Louisiana, told to board airplanes but were not told their destination until they arrived; fearing people would complain that they did not what to go there. Some never returned. Even now several years on you can still see the residents repairing the damage caused by Katrina. Some of the houses still have the rescuers crosses on the buildings stating how they were searched and the risks and causality’s they had.
Our tour cost $48 each but with discounts from the street box vender the cost totalled to $115 for three adults. The Hurricane Katrina tour lasted three hours our guide was Lori who was very informative and kept talking for the full duration of the tour., telling you how they rebuilt the levis that were breached stronger than before only to find that the places the new bits of levy joined the old bit are still not very strong and libel to breach in the future? Other flood defence systems are flood gates that sacrifice parts of habited land to save bigger parts of New Orleans and new pumping stations to pump out any future breaches. The tour takes a fifteen minute toilet break at City Park.
New house are now built four feet above ground on stilts, they are making good progress toward rebuilding homes, with different modern architectural design with escape windows on the roofs and modern solar panels to provide energy sponsored by Brad Pitt.
Lori our guide was a local person who lived through the hurricane and so could give a first-hand account of the hurricane, she told us that grey line recently changed the tour route to show the improvements that have been made since Katrina hit but personally we would have preferred to see more of the devastation caused by the hurricane. We were told that local people were not happy with FEMA as they would not let the National Guard bring any food and water into the disaster area for about a week.
It was a very good informative tour, I would highly recommend this Grey line tour for people to understand New Orleans beyond the French Quarter tourist parts were the houses and living conditions are totally different.

20  Thank SUSAN H
"bathroom break"
in 4 reviews
"bus driver"
in 4 reviews
"french quarter and garden district"
"personal stories"
"great guide"
"nolan"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We did this also with Grayline tours through our guest services i liked the fact that these tours seem to be priced exactly the same wherever you book and this company seemed very professional and give a $5 discount on your second tour per person. We did this with the French Quarter and Garden District tour and is was amazing definately a must do in New Orleans

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We took the short version of this trip and it was well worth it to see the 9th Ward and to hear the history and stories of the devastation that Katrina brought. I'm not sure if there are more options than the Gray Line tour, but this is the one we took. $48 for the trip. Besides touring the 9th Ward and learning about and seeing the levy system, we also visited the Garden District, Lake Pontchartrain, and made our way down Canal Street. Our tour started at the Natchez River Boat in the French Quarter.

3  Thank MindyS3
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I picked this tour because so much about the aftermath of Katrina was not covered in the media. Not only were all of my questions answered, but I learned what I didn't know I needed to know. I got a feel for the resilience of the people of New Orleans and the priorities of those from all over the world who came to the aid of the city with various gifts. I had also very much wanted to see the Brad Pitt houses which stand as an example of low carbon footprint housing; something the rest of the nation could learn from. It is very informative to see how this project is shaping up. I also appreciated the personalized eye witness account given by the tour guide herself. Her story gave me an idea of the pride and history of the people of New Orleans as well as how Katrina caused a shift in the demographics, industry and politics of the city.

2  Thank akovattana
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We did the super city and Katrina combo tour. It was good but a small bus would have been better. It was a bit pricey especially for kids. There was only one stop at a cemetery. I had done a tour before where they also stopped at the park. That was better. The other company also led us around the graveyard and shared stories whereas this tour just let us wander the cemetery on our own. My family wished we had done the get on get off open air bus so I guess they weren't really satisfied. I did like the Katrina portion and St Charles street but it is hard to enjoy or take pictures through a large tour bus with darkened windows.

1  Thank xmas05