“Awful and she knows it!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Old Historic Creole Inn
Ranked #29 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Awful and she knows it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I can't find one good thing to say about this place. The entry way is cramped, dark and depressing...And that's the good news. We thought we knew what we were getting into. Didn't expect any luggage help or anything fancy. The stairs to the room are very steep and claustrophobic. The Memories room, is a dump. Grimy, flaking walls, grimy bathroom mats. Coffin sized shower. Limp, dank bedding. No closet room due to a rollaway bed in closet. No blinds on windows to stop the street light glaring in all night. Or any privacy. Due to a transom above the door that is open this isn't a "couples" friendly place. I'm not sure why they stress they are military. There was nothing "ship shape or squared away" about this place. I don't think anyone in a supervisory capacity has been up those stairs in a good while. The "stairs to the garden area" are steep and rotting, the "alley" is almost blocked by a crumbling fence and watch out for the nails. The back area could have been nice at one time but is overgrown, moldy, weedy. The house view at the back is of crumbling doors and steps. Wait, to be fair there is a nice table and chairs. But watch for the deadly caterpillars. Warned of anaphylactic shock. Not conducive to relaxing. To show how bad it is we stayed one night and walked away from $800.00 that we couldn't really afford.

How many places require a signed waiver before you arrive and after you arrive? Does that tell you something? Be careful.

Room Tip: There is no good room to choose. All are equally grimy.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank florida1950

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Medford, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Creole Inn is a great place to stay. Prices are unbelieveably low. It may not be a 5 star hotel but it serves your needs. The beds are large and very comfortable. You don't have an annoying cleaning staff bothering you to clean the room every day at 8 in the morning. Gayle is very helpful to your needs. It's a very quiet Inn, not a place to party. It for mature, respectful people to lay their heads down.
Creole Inn is like my second home. My husband and I try to stay here everytime we visit NOLA. See you soon Creole Inn.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy S
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was a fantastic bargain! There were 5 of us, so 3 shared the Sweet Dreams suite and 2 had the Old Europe suite. Everything was clean, the beds were comfortable, Gayl was friendly and helpful and we loved the location. The only negative was that there really wasn't any good place for just sitting around playing cards and drinking wine together, as the rooms are quite small and the downstairs sitting area was pretty cramped as well. When it was warm (which it was the first couple of days) we sat outside in the courtyard, which was great, but then it got cold so that didn't work. Everyone in our group (ages 62, 57, 26, 26, 22) liked Frenchmen Street better than Bourbon St. and appreciated our proximity. Overall, a really good stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rosebud215
Wernersville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Historic Creole Inn from 2/15/12 until 2/21/12 and we had a wonderful time. Our room was clean and very nicely appointed. We stayed in the Memories Suite and I loved the memory foam mattress. Everyone in New Orleans was very friendly and we had a wonderful time. . Because the Inn is not directly in the French Quarter we were able to get a good nights sleep and feel refreshed in the morning after walking the streets of the quarter during the day.I would definitely stay at the Creole Inn if I am able to make it back to the beautiful city again. Gayle the Inn keeper does a top notch job.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barb519
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My friend & I stayed for a week in October last year. We were in the Memories suite which was really cute & clean when we arrived. I really enjoyed staying at the Creole Inn. I always enjoy the culture & old time feel of the Marigny district. Gayl, the Innkeeper, was great with answering any & all questions we had prior to & during our stay there. I liked the convenience of the mini fridge which we immediately stocked w/a case of water to save $$ & used it once for leftovers (there is a microwave available on the 1st floor to reheat with). Coffee in the morning was nice & having the courtyard to hang out in while you drank it was even nicer. It was especially great being able to walk the mile it took to get to the French Quarter & a few times we took a cab back for around $6-7. Tip: be sure to look at a map so you know the quickest way to get back or you could be taken on a tour through the city like we were the first night we took one back. All in all, a great, cozy, quiet place & awesome bargain! We will recommend it & will be planning on staying again when we make it back to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DAP101
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Gayl, the innkeeper, was so warm and welcoming! She was available to answer any of my questions about New Orleans and was very accomodating. The room was clean and cozy; I felt right at home! It was wonderful staying in a real residential area as opposed to the French Quarter. I loved the feeling of leaving the touristy areas and coming to my Nola "home". The location is very convenient, about a 10 minute walk to Frenchmen street (great music, food, locals hang here!) and about a 15 minute walk to Vieux Carré. Lots of wonderful bars, restaurants and cafes around. I have fallen in love with New Orleans and I plan on visiting again really soon! Thanks again to Gayl and the Creole Inn family!-Kara

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kara P
Wauchope, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

After staying in Vegas for several nights I was looking forward to getting away from the typical hotel style accommodation when we got to NOLA. We were very happy with the Creole inn and all it had to offer. Comfortable rooms, great location and a warm welcoming feel. We confidently walked to and from the French Quarter, even in the early hours of the morning as the area felt safe. Gayl the Inn Keeper looked after us well and we enjoyed our conversations with her, the wireless internet was better than many I have used in expensive hotels and I have no complaints about the amenities. The cafe around the corner does great breakfasts at a very reasonable price and is also a great place to enjoy a beer and a snack of an evening. All round great value for the money. If you are considering staying at the Creole, I would suggest you take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and make up your own mind, as you cant please some people. During our trip to America, we stayed in some very expensive 5 star Hotels and they were no more memorable than the Creole inn, I would happily stay there again, should I find myself in NOLA in the future.

Room Tip: I would pick the rooms on the ground floor as they have direct access to the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family