“At First I Thought, Uh Oh. And Then, OMG, Fabulous for What It Is!”

Bacchanal Fine Wine & Spirits
Ranked #51 of 239 Nightlife in New Orleans
Reviewed 22 April 2012

While at the French Quater Festival, our friends wanted to re-visit Bacchanal. One of them read that the establishment had its license restored/approved to host music. We took a cab over - about a 9 buck ride from the Quarter. So when we walk in I think, what have we gotten into here? But the owner, at least I assumed he was, was very pleasant and welcoming and explained how things worked at his restaurant. And we went out back to the courtyard and grabbed a table. (Get there early as the place fills up late and seating is hard to come by.) Now, there is no fancy or reserved seating here and the furniture is a mishmash of different type tables and chairs. But the evening was wonderfully mild and the jazz music, oh, the music, was just great. So, we thought we would get some wine and cheese. Our friends ordered inside. The deal is that you take the wine outside and when the food is ready two servers wander through the outside area calling out names for the ordered food. We ordered two types of cheeses which were delightfully tasty and devoured them. Why? Because although the cheese was delicious in its own right it was served with a heaping plate of this thinly sliced bread which is sprayed with olive oil and then cooked on a panini maker, en masse!! We ordered another plate of cheese and a second bottle of wine and the next act on stage was as good if not better than the first. At the end of the evening, with a little desert which was ordered, we were too full to try some of the other menu items, such as the flank steak, which looked great at another table. We asked for a cab to be called to take us back to the Quarter and our hotel and it came quickly - you have to have some sort of transportation to get to and from here if you are staying in the hotel district. In sum, I was extremely favorably surprised at the whole evening. It just goes to show you cannot judge on appearances alone. We would go back.

2  Thank phishlover

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Came out with our large group of 9 including 4 teenagers. No music on the night we came, but the ambiance was lovely and everyone found something enjoyable to eat. Had a great bottle of wine from the wine shop. Will definitely come again - hopefully will hear a band play.

1  Thank cocopuffs
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The food cart was excellent! I think we had at least one of everything on the menu between the three of us as well. Wine we got inside was fantastic too. Bring a jacket if it's chilly.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were PASSIONATELY recommended to this place by a bartender....said they have "guest chefs" & really creative foods & great wines....sounded like its an outdoor operation & it was raining on our evening so when we called they said cooking & music had been suspended so we couldn't go...but it sounded awesome, I'd recommend giving it a try & its on my list for next time!

Reviewed 6 May 2011

I would go here again. The only problem was that the food menu was very limited. It was perfect for the carnivores in our group but not so much for the rest of us. I would say to go here for just wine and cheese and music (although the night we went the music was a bit odd) Maybe bring some cards and hang out with your friends and drink wine. Do not forget the bug spray! I got 15 bug bites that night. We took a cab here from the French Quarter and then took another cab to Frenchmen's Street after. Then we were able to walk about to the French Quarter from there. Would not recommend walking here from the French Quarter.