“Great food, uninspired music”

Bacchanal Fine Wine & Spirits
Ranked #46 of 239 Nightlife in New Orleans
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great food, uninspired music”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The food was excellent, the wine fine, the people from the Bacchanal itself were very friendly and helpful, and the place itself has a lot of charm, so important aspects were taken care of.
But... the band playing, The Courtyard Kings, was very uninspired and creating a self fulfilling prophecy: they wouldn't make an effort to connect and the public was not responding much. Quite a shame.

Visited November 2013

Montreal, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“It's not what is hyped up to be”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

If you like eating off of dirty tables, among the bugs and mud ( if it rains) than this place is for you. Yeah, the wine selection is great and the concept as well, but honestly the food was not as great as expected...The steak was well done and tough, the chicken was nice and ceviche quite good, but eating by tiki torches and hipsters that talk way too loud was not the experience I had read about..There are so many awesome place to go in new Orleans, I would choose another one.

Visited July 2013
Santa Cruz, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 475 helpful votes
“A real gem in The Bywater”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

A friend and I were staying at the Lookout Inn, a block and a half up the road, and had seen Bacchanal on our neighborhood map. It is a wine shop and tasting bar in front, with a full bar upstairs, some tables for seating, and the restaurant in back, downstairs. You select a table either in the large back yard or upstairs, order your food and it is brought to you when ready. The wine bar oozes old world charm, the upstairs has beautifully restored woodwork and the outdoor area is like hanging out at a friend's house. There was a jazz trio playing the night we were there and they were GOOD. The food was terrific. We shared a smoked trout salad, broccoli rabe, a pork shoulder stew and the flatiron steak. Everything was done perfectly and creatively. Great flavors. Prices neither high nor low; good "value for money". We liked it so much we went back a time or two for wine.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank NativeCalGal
Pittsburgh PA.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Our favorite evening in NOLA!”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Oh how we loved this place. You walk in and are greeted with a wonderful selection of wines to chose from to start you off right. After getting some wonderful help in selecting our wine we then chose several cheeses which were served to us a short time later on a platter with bread, olives, spreads and almonds as we sat outside under a tree and listened to great jazz. What could be better than a relaxing evening of fine wine, food and friends? If we had a place like this were I lived I'd be there at least once a week!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank offto
Tampa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Wine, beer and jazz aficionados will rejoice in this hidden gem!”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

A colleague of mine and I were meeting up for dinner and he recommended Bacchanal because he had heard great things and had seen it on the HBO show "Treme" -- said he had to give it a go! I had never heard of it but was glad he had some idea of where to eat because New Orleans just has an overwhelming amount of food options. Turns out this was an unexpectedly great gem about 30 blocks outside of the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter.

I arrived a little over an hour before my colleague and wasn't too sure he had made a very good choice when I walked in the front door. It looks like it is just a small wine and beer shop. It turns out though, the real action is in the courtyard just through the back door of the shop and the action doesn't really heat up until after the sun goes down. You will want to get there early to grab a table though, so I'd say arrive at least a half hour before sun-down to get your seats, order your food, and settle in for the fun to begin.

I had quite a wait before my colleague arrived but enjoyed hanging out in front of the restaurant with one of the restaurant owners, a couple of servers, and a few locals, just talking and enjoying the comfortably warm summer evening. You could tell these were good people who liked to take care of each other -- great friendships are clearly made amongst those who frequent this quaint and quirky establishment. I dig that.

While there are only a handful of food choices on the menu, what they offer is delicious! My colleague had a delicious pork loin and I had the flat iron steak-- foodies would approve. This was not the high quality I expected from this casual establishment, but they clearly know their food!

I hear that the wine and cheese is absolutely incredible (and they definitely have a huge selection of wine!), so, if you are into that sort of thing, I would say not to miss out on having wine and cheese as a starter. Also, they seem to have quite a selection of unusual beers for those who take their beer drinking seriously. I drink neither wine nor beer, so these fine spirits were lost on me, but oh I love me some food and great music and Bacchanal totally delivered on both. The jazz band that started just after dark was out of this world! So, so impressive! I could have stayed all night and listened to the live music under the string lights of the courtyard area but given that my colleague had an early morning meeting awaiting and the fact that the mosquitoes found me a bit too tasty, we called it a night shortly after dinner. Still, what a great, relaxing time. Definitely glad we checked it out!

Logistics to be aware of before you go-- There is no parking lot so you just have to find whatever spot you can along the neighboring streets. Also, bring cash... credit cards are not accepted. They do have an ATM if you forget and need to withdrawal cash (like I did) but then the bank gets you in ATM fees. Honestly, having cash on hand for any restaurant you go to in New Orleans is a good idea. They often don't take credit.

Have fun and be sure to check out this funky, hidden gem while in NOLA! :-)

Visited August 2012