“Very nice stay”

Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. The house was nice, and we felt at home. The location was a nice area with many places to eat within a short driving distance. We stayed in the Greenwood room, which had the best bathtub ever! Also, we really enjoyed the individual air control. There was some noise from the street that woke us up a couple of times, but I think that is to be expected in an older house on a fairly busy street.

The only shortcoming was breakfast. We were both exepcting a fully hot breakfast (as we have had in other similar B&Bs). I think we look forward to breakfast the most! However, we were slightly disappointed... there was only 1 hot item each day. Although this item was good, breakfast as a whole fell short of our expectations. The lack of meat or eggs hit us the hardest.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Greenwood room, which has the biggest bathtub we have ever seen.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karana316

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My sister, daughter, and I stayed 3 nights at the Grand Victorian to celebrate my daughter being two years cancerfree and her 20th birthday and we couldn't have had a more amazing stay in New Orleans! Our room was beautiful and always at a perfect temp. It was a wonderful retreat after a day or night wandering around the Quarter or Garden district and within walking distance of Magazine Street and the Lafayette Cemetery. Bonnie and her staff went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and gave us great advice as to where to go and the best way to get there. Breakfast was beyond our expectations with delicious quiches one morning and sausage in a biscuit the next. Not to mention the wonderful array of fruit, cheese, pastries, fresh bread, and preserves. So many choices! And complementary snacks and sodas which were perfect to take along on our adventures! Thank you for exceeding our expectations and for making our stay so special. :) Melanie & Dani Peterson

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the grand victorian b&b. Even tough we "only" had the room on the ground floor it was soooo nice. From the warm welcome (we phoned her about 8PM because our other hotel was too crappy to stay), her perfect proposals, the free bourbon in the room, the nearness to the magazine street and everything else.

The breakfast is not big time like in other b&bs.

1 Thank David S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We look a girlfriend trip (there were 3 of us) to NOLA recently and stayed at the Grand Victorian. It was such a great trip, and we loved staying at the Grand Vic so much, we have already reserved our rooms for next year and are going back. The Grand Vic is beautiful and quaint and convenient to everything!!! We loved it! And the innkeeper, Bonnie, and all of her staff were just great and very accommodating. We all highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 3girlfriendsMAS
Lake Forest, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

What a great spot for a NOLA trip. You are right on St. Charles street, but no street noise in our room. Loved the convenience of the streetcar stop right outside the hotel. Rachel is super helpful when you check in and they have good advice about the Garden District and Magazine St restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I'm so glad that my staff met your expectations and needs. I also appreciate that you took the time to tell us about your stay here at the Grand Victorian!
Happy trails!
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We recently had a 4 night stay at GVBB. I was very keen to stay in one of the beautiful old homes in the Garden District. Sadly our stay not begin well. We were arriving late and were also delayed by 30 mins due to flight delays.
The staff member who let us in was frazzled, and annoyed, made me pay our bill in the dark and could not wait to throw us into our room so she could go home. We felt like we had caused her a major inconvenience.
The next morning the owner Bonnie was very helpful and gave us a run down on the area.
Breakfast was another disappointment and did not match the rate we were paying. I have never before stayed at a B and B that does not offer a proper cooked breakfast.We were offered packaged pastries, 10 loose grapes in a bowl, cold boiled eggs and baby bell cheeses!?!?
There was a toast option which we declined.
The location of the house is fabulous, but our room ( Nottoway)was very dark and gloomy even with all the lights on. The bath was great but but the shower was a trickle. It was pot luck as to whether you would get hot water or just luke warm.I know it is an old house but as recently as last year we stayed in a similar home in Napa with plenty of hot water and good water pressure.
This is not a cheap B and B and again the amenities did not match the rate.
Bonnie is fabulous but her staff were pretty ordinary. We even had a staff member walk in to our room unannounced one and a half hours before check out.
Overall, our experience was disappointing.

Room Tip: Not Nottoway.
2 Thank Libby D
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
I am very disappointed that we did not live up to the expectation of this guest. The check-in experience, while late at night, was an unusual one, as I am usually home to receive late night guests, but it was the first night for a new employee. This was not what we normally offer for guest service.

As for breakfast, our city's laws for a B&B license prohibits me from serving more than a continental breakfast. Some of my colleagues advertise and serve full breakfasts, but they do it at their own risk. I follow the rules and try to advertise my breakfast as such on my website and when asked. I don't ever want to create any false advertising that will create a bad impression with my potential and future guests.

It seems that most of my guests do a lot of dining for other meals while in New Orleans and a light/small breakfast works for them in general. Also because I do not have a formal dining room where everyone sits at a main table to eat at a fixed time, the breakfast buffet works in that people have a 2 hour window to come down as they wish to help themselves to coffee and our bakery items.

I was also very sorry to hear about the unusual hot water and water pressure issue. If I had known, I would have worked to resolve this while you were here. It has not been a problem for other guests in the past or with any of the other guests on your weekend (even in the other jacuzzi bathtub suite). After investigating the problem, we could not duplicate the problem.

Again, I am very sorry that the Grand Victorian didn't meet your expectations or standards. I will work hard to resolve these mentioned staffing and other general issues so as to not repeat any of these mistakes again for our future guests.
Meridian, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend to celebrate my birthday. The location is great, just a short ride on the trolley to anything you want to do. The staff was very nice and made us feel at home. We will be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks, Angela! I hope that you'll come back for future birthday celebrations!