“Solid stay at a great hostel”
Review of NOLA Jazz House

NOLA Jazz House
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Solid stay at a great hostel”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

NOLA Jazz House is probably one if the nicest hostels I have stayed at. It's very much like a house where you feel at home while staying in New Orleans. I loved the location because it was just a short tram trip down canal street to get to the French Quarter and Bourbon Street. A day pass is only $3 a day on the tram. The staff especially were helpful and sociable, adding to the "at home" feel that this hostel provides. Free pancakes and coffee were nice, especially for the affordable price of staying here. My one complaint is that our room was hot and I woke up sweating, but as I am also from the south (Texas) I'm used to the heat and I know the AC can't always keep up with the weather. I will be recommending this hostel to my friends for sure!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A friend and I stayed mid-June and it was my first time visiting New Orleans.

We had a great time and the hostel worked very well for us. It should be noted that they are still pretty new so they are undergoing mild construction.

Location: The hostel is located in mid-city, which wasn't extremely close to anything, but still centrally located. We were able to easily navigate using the streetcar or a taxi if we went as far as the Bywater district.

Staff: Excellent. They were all very helpful and even have a 24-hour phone if you need help late and lock yourself out of your room. We had a great time speaking with staff and got some great suggestions on places to visit in New Orleans.

Amenities: Pretty standard for a hostel and the free wi-fi was a plus. They have a kitchen and two fridges. There are two bathrooms downstairs that go with their dorm-style rooms. There is another bathroom upstairs with the private rooms.

Cons: The only thing I can really complain about is that the ATM in the lobby charges a pretty hefty fee, so be aware if you need to use it. Also the bathrooms get some pretty heavy usage from about 8:30-10:30, as the amount of people the hostel can accommodate is more than the bathrooms can handle while people are getting ready in the morning.

Overall: Great value. I liked the location but you should be a savvy traveler, otherwise it might be too far from the rest of the city for you. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Private rooms upstairs are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The staff at the Nola Jazz were amazing. The location is great and convenient enough to get to and from the main areas in New Orleans. The overall stay here was fantastic, the cleanliness, safety and vibe is awesome. By far the best and cleanest hostel have ever stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank karly s
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We were passing through New Orleans as part of our tour of the USA and obviously did not know very much about the city as we had never visited before. Also, when booking accommodation, because the hostel was new there was no reviews which can sometimes leave you apprehensive about the place you booked.

After staying, I'm so glad that we did! The hostel even though it's only new is excellent. It has all the facilities you expect from a hostel including free wifi, computer, free breakfast etc. The staff were extremely helpful and not only got our room ready early for us the day we arrived but gave us loads of information on things to do in New Orleans and arranged for us to go on a swamp tour!

The location is a slight bit outside the French quarter on Canal Street but with the street car departing from just outside the door it only takes a few minutes to get into town.

A must stay for any one travelling through New Orleans on a budget or just looking for a friendly place to stay! Can't recommend it highly enough

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dmullarkey
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I initially booked only 2 nights at Nola Jazz House. But I stayed longer! First amazing thing, I slept there for the first day of the life of this hostel! All was new!! This is an amazing experience! We really feel like home! There is enough toilets showers and kitchens. The backyard is really nice and peaceful. The staff is really friendly. Thank you to all of them!
One of the best hostel I ve been!
Easy to go in the city by the cablecar. Close to Cvs and some bars! I highly recommend this hostel for your stay in Nola

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fivou
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

If you want a great experience backpacking and want to party this is one of the most vibrant hostels I've ever stayed in. Staff were amazing. It was clean and colourful with murals filling the walls. There is free waffle/pancake breakfast and wifi. A kitchen, individual washrooms and indoor and outdoor common areas. The tram stops literally 50m away. Walgreens is just up the road. Finally the price is great. Staying at this hostel was an experience in itself and I couldn't recommend it enough. Could have stayed a week and will next time!

The guy who only stayed 3 nights. Even wrote my name on the chalk wall!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo