“Fabulous room(s), billing issues”

Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection
Ranked #68 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We made our reservation and paid in full for 3 days, about 3 months in advance of French Quarter Festival. The rate we paid was comparable to what we would have paid for a hotel room, and for the same price, we got a living room, kitchenette, huge bathroom, and bedroom.

We checked in on Friday, April 11th. The lobby is very charming and the staff is friendly and helpful. We were assigned to room 413, and got a porter to help with the bags. When I opened the door to the room, I was startled to see a woman sitting on the couch (and she was startled to see me!). Obviously, we had been assigned to a room that was already being used. It took about 1/2 hour to get this issue resolved, and we were put in room 401.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the unit. Absolutely perfect! We were traveling with ou 21 year old granddaughter and wanted a place that was unique and funky as our granddaughter is very artistic. Our unit was perfect. Granddaughter had the living room with a fold out sofa, cute chandelier, a storage unit designed like a bank safe, and a painted chair hanging upside down from the ceiling. The bathroom was the nicest I have ever been in while traveling, with a huge shower and plenty of towels for all 3 of us. Our bedroom was very nice with plenty of storage and a flat screen tv. The kitchen had a microwave and small fridge, and was completely stocked with dishes, utensils, etc (but who eats in while in NOLA?)..the 4th floor deck was literally steps from our door and we enjoyed spending a little time out there. There was also a soda machine and ice machine by the deck. We never had any issues with noise at all.

Our only complaint is the billing issue. Our room was paid in full well in advance, no problem there. But we did need parking, which is $35 per night, so that was a total of $105. When we checked in, we were told that there was a $100 'incidental' fee which is held against the credit card until checkout. That's fine, we know that most hotels do that. However, we wound up with $315 being held against our card. When we checked out, I tried to straighten it out, and couldn't really get an answer as to how we could be charged $315, when parking was $105 and there was a $100 incidental hold. The clerk did say that all charges would be dropped except for the $105 parking fee. We were still in New Orleans (at a different hotel) for three more days, and on Wednesday, two full days after we checked out of Club La Pension, there was still a hold for the full amount on my credit card, so I went back to discuss it with them. The manager finally came out and tried to explain it to me and they even called my bank to tell my bank to release the hold, which I appreciate - although it wasn't that I needed the money back in my account, the big issue was that I still didn't understand how a parking fee of $105 and an incidental hold of $100 could result in $315 being 'held'. The manager explained it, or tried to, and everything is correct in my account now, but it still seems very confusing. If you run your account low, this could be a problem when you have a lot of money being 'held' and taking several days to be released.

In spite of this, we would definitely stay here again because the unit was in my opinion, about the most perfect play we have ever stayed, and the staff was very nice and helpful. I would have given a 5 star rating, except for the issue of being put in the wrong room and the billing issue. But for accommodations, definitely 5 stars.

Room Tip: We had room 401 and loved it. No noise issues as there are only two rooms in this area. The elevat...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jlr51
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello jlr51,

Thank you for staying at Club La Pension. We are delighted you found our lobby charming and our staff friendly and helpful. We apologize for the room assignment mix up but are thrilled you were so pleased with the end result! We appreciate your generous compliments about our condo-style accommodations, along with your feedback regarding the billing issue you encountered. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and will certainly be looking further into this to prevent confusion among other guests. We hope you will consider returning soon!

There are newer reviews for Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection

Reviewed 22 March 2014

we are owners of BlueGreen and thought this was going to be a great stay, but boy was I wrong. Made two different reservations (extended a stay) and the front desk didn't know what was going on. They had to charge my card two separate times, argued with me at checkout as to which room I was checking out of. I know it was NOLA but I know what room door I keep opening. HAd a bulb break late at night, while the kids were in the bathroom, maintenance came up immediately, but what concerned me was that housekeeping didn't come the next day to make sure all the glass was up. Living room is REALLY small, and lord forbid you want to watch tv in there, cuz the walls are like paper. The rooms are not all in the same location as the front desk, have to walk EVEN IN THE RAIN. Also the room pix are incorrect, only the 4th floor rooms have balconys. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Hello bsrsunshine,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Club La Pension. Our goal is to share happiness with all of owners and guests. We regret to learn of your disappointment in your stay. We kindly ask that you contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com if you wish to provide additional details or to discuss further. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel during Mardi Gras time. The location is perfect. It is within the French Quarter, close to the foolishness that is Bourbon Street, but far enough that you do not deal with the foolishness that is Bourbon Street. But most importantly, the hotel is right on the Uptown parade route. The hotel has a sundeck that you can look over and catch the parade as it turns on the corner, thereby allowing you a view of the parade without being in it. But whats the point of that?

The rooms are well decorated and properly appointed. The interior of our room was painted in different colors of grey and had various artwork throughout the room. The room is also spacious. My friend and I stayed in a one bedroom. We stayed here for a week and there was more than enough space for the both of us. The living room has a comfy couch which also turns into a pull out, which is also comfortable. The only issue is that the room (401) we stayed in gets alot of the hallway traffic noise as we were across the hall from the elevator.

The bedroom had a large queen bed which was also comfortable. The bed was firm but not overly so. The bedroom was far enough back that you were not disturbed by the hallway noise. The only issue is that the bedroom window does not open. There was extra bedding available in the closet.

The bathroom was also large and spacious. There was more than enough room for two girls to lay out all of their 'girl stuff'. Every girl needs her space in the bathroom! There were plenty of towels. The only issue was that the shower leaked alot of water onto the floor, which was kinda of annoying. Because this is a time share, they do not clean the room during your stay. But apparently there is a cleaning service. I do not know the cost as we did not utilize this. They will however provide you with all the extra towels you need and if you are nice, they will lightly clean the bathroom for you. There is also free laundry services on the premises. Which comes in handy after being in smoky clubs and smelling like an ashtray.

There is a galley style 'kitchen' as well. There are plenty of plates, cups, glasses, and bowls. There is a mini fridge and they provide you with a sponge and dishwashing soap. The microwave is also a convection oven. The only issue is that there is no stove top. Which is a bit werid. We perfected making scrambled eggs in the microwave.

The service is incredible. The staff will go out of their way to help you out. If you have a request, they will promptly assist you. Everyone, I mean everyone, is very friendly and always had a smile. The one person who really stood out was Will. He was great. Will really helped out on a few of the rainy days we were there. There is a DVD player available for use. And if you forget DVDs, you can buy them off the street on Canal Street. But the best, absolute best thing Will did was to provide a 'birthday basket' for my friend. It was super sweet and completely unexpected. Thanks Will!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank D_ExplorerMiami_FL

Hello D_ExplorerMiami_FL ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Club La Pension. We are thrilled you had a great experience and enjoyed the location and spacious accommodations. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff as our goal is to share happiness with all of our guests. We do hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The location of this resort couldn't be better. Right on Decatur in the French Quarter, it's within walking distance of just about everything in the Quarter.

My family and I stayed in 2 1br condos. We did not get the dreaded rooms with the windows down on the floor, but also didn't have any balconies. The units were small, but adequate, with a small kitchenette. The fridge is very small, but the microwave was one of the full-service units that double as an oven.

The one bed was a double bed, not even a queen, so it was small for 2 people that aren't madly in love, lol. Since I was bunked with my sister, she chose to use the sofa bed, which she said was adequate.

The furnishings and art were funky and fun, with upside down chairs on the ceiling and shabby chic picture frames.

There were 2 very nice patio areas, one on the 4th floor and another on the 6th. The 4th floor location had bbq grills for use. The views from both patios were were nice and there were padded chairs and umbrella tables at both, as well as a huge chess game on the floor of the 6th floor patio.

The staff was excellent, for the most part, and the doormen were friendly and always offering to lend a hand.

The only thing that would have made this place better was a pool. NOLA is HOT and a refreshing dip at the end of the day would have made this place perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Hello udogsgal,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Club La Pension. We are pleased you enjoyed the great location and unique accommodations. Our goal is to share happiness with all of our guests and provide outstanding service. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New Orleans!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this location and were extremely impressed with the renovation. This hotel doesn't have the ambience of the inner French Quarter hotels but is very nice with a small kitchenette. The room was well appointed and very clean. There is still much noise coming from the hallway thru the door because of the gap at the bottom and the hardwood floors but this is to be expected in New Orleans. The bed was very comfortable although small. We will return.

Room Tip: There are several rooftop courtyards and rooms that you enter into from them. If there are people u...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wadeaminut
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Hello wadeaminut,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Club La Pension. We are delighted you had a very nice stay and were impressed with the renovations. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were SO looking forward to a long weekend in NOLA and our stay at La Pension. Most unfortunately, our son got the flu the night before we were to leave. I had booked the nonrefundable room (lesson learned) through Choice Hotels. Their customer service reps worked with the Management at La Pension and the hotel REFUNDED our fee in full. As a mom of 2 year old twins, it was such a relief to know that we would get our money back so that we could rebook our much need mini-vacation! I look forward to my stay at the La Pension in the near future! Thank you for going above and beyond!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HBTizzle
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Hello HBTizzle,

Thank you for sharing your customer service experience. We do hope that your son has since recovered and look forward to welcoming you when you rebook your stay.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Huge room, central to everything. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. They even let us keep out bags and vehicle for a few hours after checkout, so we could sightsee more. Thanks for a great experience!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ATLien62

Hello ATLien62,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Club La Pension. We are thrilled you had a great experience and enjoyed the location. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff as our goal is to share happiness with all of our guests. We do hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New Orleans.