“Nice location in French Quarter”

Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection
Ranked #63 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We enjoyed our 2 bedroom unit. We had a large balcony that was the length of both bedrooms. We also had a bath and half in our unit. The staff is very attentive and makes you feel welcome from the moment you walk in the door. Laundry was a little tight but I was happy I didn't bring any dirty clothes home. The bellman and other support staff also couldn't have been nicer. I would stay again on a future visit without question.

Room Tip: If a large balcony is important choose Decatur St rooms. Street noise on the weekends but we enjoyed...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank beverlybfd
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello beverlybfd,

Thank you for staying at Club La Pension. We are happy you enjoyed our condo-style accommodations and that our staff was friendly and attentive. We hope to have you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for our 32nd anniversary trip to New Orleans. We arrived early before check in and our room was ready. Everyone was helpful! Room was clean and hotel essentials were provided. Location is great, far enough away from Bourbon Street, but also close enough to the action. Great area to explore, take one of the hop off and hop on tours. Need to make a stop at Café Du Mondo, the place where they made the original MUFFALETTAS, and check out Antonies where they give you a tour (If you just ask). Pat O'Brien's has the best bread pudding and hurricaines. We took a short trip of 4 days and saw and did most things we wanted to do. Rained quite a bit, so don't forget your umbrella!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise Z

Hello Ddace1982,

We are pleased to hear your kind remarks about Club La Pension. We are honored to have your trust to provide exceptional service and beautiful, yet comfortable accommodations for your very special stay. We are happy to hear that you could experience the variety of things to see and do. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The location of this resort which is really a hotel not a resort is the best....just on the edge of the french quarter and walkable to loads of activities on Canal Street.
It is a tad quirky .. Our room had a chair hanging upside down !!??... I would have preferred a chair and table to sit and eat my breakfast at....we had room 603.
Outside of that comfortable stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ANGELA K

Hello AKONHOLIDAY,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Club La Pension. We are delighted you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the central location. We hope you will consider returning on your next holiday.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed on 3rd floor. The room was a 1 bedroom suite with a large living area and pull out sofa bed. Had a compact kitchen and nice large walk-in shower in bathroom. Other reviewers had commented on not having bath essentials, even towels in rooms, so we packed our own. The room had everything we needed so it was unnecessary to pack the extra items, but better safe than sorry. Location, location, location! If you want a downtown experience this fits the bill. Walking distance to everything. The noise level can be loud in the hall as I slept on the sofa bed. I brought earplugs based on other reviewers comments and slept well using them. You could also tuck a towel at the bottom of the door leading to the hall and that helps. You are in New Orleans so you have to expect noise. There is a very nice balcony on the 4th floor with a couple of bean bag games, table and chairs and a view of the street when you look over the brick wall. Because it is downtown and the streets are narrow they have valet parking only. The cost is $35.00. Be sure to add this into your stay. We were able to check out in the morning and pick our vehicle up later that afternoon without any additional charge. There is no swimming pool or restaurant on premises. Restaurants are however within a block walking distance.

Room Tip: t any additional charge.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Deena S

Hello Deena S,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Club La Pension. We are happy you enjoyed the location and had a very nice experience. We are glad you had everything you needed in the room. We hope you will consider returning on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

To start, the hotel has a fun, quirky feel and is in a great location, close enough to walk everywhere but far enough away that you aren't bombarded with noise. The artwork, furniture, and general look of the hotel is great. My entire group absolutely loved it. This is one of the cutest places I've stayed. And, the 7th floor balcony is wonderful.

My husband and I travel several times a year, around the US and abroad, and are pretty laid back and don't expect a lot. I understand that the hospitality industry can be a stressful one so I don't typically complain. Unfortunately, I experienced a few issues at this hotel.

This trip was a surprise 40th birthday, 3 night trip for my husband. Some friends of ours were coming as well. We booked our rooms months in advance and called to request balcony rooms or, at the very least, rooms near each other for the duration of our stay.

At check in, which took about 30 minutes, Bryan (?) was incredibly slow. (Maybe a new hire?) We learned that my husband and I were in a room on the 5th floor and our friends were in a room on the 3rd floor. We asked again to be close together but were told there was nothing that could be done. While this wasn't a huge deal, the elevator situation is a little strange and we had to get off at the 3rd floor, walk to another elevator, and then head to the 5th floor. Still, we were just sleeping here so it wasn't a massive issue.

The big issue came on the night before we were headed home. We were out late, to be expected, and returned to the hotel just before 2 am. Our key card wouldn't open our door so we headed back down to the front desk. The woman working reset our key and sent us back to our room. The key didn't work again so we went back downstairs. At this point, I was getting slightly annoyed. We spoke with the woman working and she was nice but very confused as to what to do. Apparently, there is a battery inside the door lock that needed to be changed. She told us that she would have to call maintenance but that they wouldn't be able to come until the next day and she asked if we would mind sleeping on the pull out couch in our friends' room. (I thought this was weird and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't just put us in another room for the night.)

I let the woman know that we were checking out the next day so she made another call and had the maintenance man come out that night to change the battery in our door lock. (At this point, we were also told that a manager would speak to us the next day and would do something to acknowledge this issue and make it right.) While we were waiting, we headed to our friends' room, and we then got a call that the security guard used a key to get into our room from the room next door to it so we headed back up to our room where we waited for the maintenance man. He came, changed the battery, and was very nice but still, it was after 3 am at this point and I wanted to be in bed.

Once the battery was changed, I called the front desk and asked for a later check out time and was told we could have until 11 am. The next morning, I got a call at 10:15 letting me know that I was late for check out. After everything that had happened the night before, this seriously annoyed me.

I got the check out time corrected so we finished packing and headed downstairs where we watched Bryan (?) at the front desk get key cards ready for incoming guests for about 10 minutes before we were acknowledged and checked out. I told him that we were supposed to speak to a manager before we checked out but he said nothing was notated about that and nobody was available so that was that and we requested a taxi and then headed to the airport.

I have been home for a week now and nobody has reached out to me, which is pretty disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Crazy_Me_35

Hello Crazy_Me_35,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Club La Pension. We are glad you were pleased with our location and quirky décor. We are committed to providing helpful and efficient customer service. We appreciate the feedback you have provided and would like to follow up with you at your convenience. Please contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were there for French Qtr. Fest - we stayed in a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath that was much more than we expected. We had friends with us and the accomadations were plenty large enough for 4 adults. We had a great kitchen area with eating area. Thanks to Charlmayne at front desk for being so helpful with anything we needed. We will diffinently go back again!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: High floor if street side, unless you want balcony. Rooms on alley may be a little quieter -
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cathy S
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello Cathy S,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Club La Pension. We are delighted your stay exceeded your expectations. We are happy you were impressed with our condo-style accommodations and staff. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I love what's unique so this little hotel was perfect for me. I got here late at night and the security guard was really nice and helpful. Each room has unique pieces of art from local artists and I like the idea of supporting artists so that is another bonus point for them. You get a living room and a kitchenette, the bedroom was a good size with a big closet. Everything is super clean and newly renovated, you can easily walk to nearby attractions, it is located just behind the Marriott hotel on Canal street where you can get taxis easily. I would stay here again. Just one thing though… you can ask to not have a room right across from the elevator.

Room Tip: Because there is a living room between the door and the bedroom it was not so bad otherwise you hear...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello Lise J,

We are thrilled you were impressed with the unique qualities of Club La Pension. We are happy our staff was friendly and helpful and that our condo-style accommodations were clean and spacious. We are glad our location was a convenience. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to have you back soon!