“A Taste of New Orleans”

Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Chartres House is a local favorite—a French Quarter landmark serving casual dishes and classic drinks in an intimate, historical environment. This antebellum building, once a favorite haunt of Tennessee Williams, is now home to a menu featuring duck quesadillas, classic New Orleans BBQ shrimp, muffalettas and more. Dine on the balcony or in the intimate courtyard, or join the local crowd after hours for quick bites and cocktails.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

For our first trip to New Orleans this was a good place for my husband and I to sample a variety of cajun dishes. We began with the Fried Green Tomato Chips which were crispy and flavorful. My husband ordered the Crawfish Ettoufee and I enjoyed "A Taste of New Orleans" which included smaller portions of Red Beans and Rice, Jambalaya, and Chicken and Andouille Gumbo. All were very good and our server was friendly and attentive. This restaurant definitely had a more casual vibe than other finer dining establishments we patronized on our trip.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Service was good but unfortunately the food was not very good, the wings and our burger and fries tasted like it had been mixed in someone else alligator dish

1  Thank Optiks
Reviewed 25 August 2014

i must admit that we only went to this restaurant because we had a coupon for a free appetizer. I know that the whole purpose of going to NOLA is to drink eat...sadly, we arent much of either. We went to see the architecture and immerse ourselves in the history of the area. I am so glad that we went to eat at Chartres House (which was a former mansion). I was not brave enough to eat alligator anything, but I did have their jambalaya, gumbo and beans and rice. They came in a trio. All of them were outstanding. My husband wasn't daring enough to try authentic NOLA food so he opted for a cheeseburger, which was huge and juicy. The service was adequate, a little slow, but it gave us a chance to enjoy observing the goings-on both inside and outside of the restaurant. i would recommend Chartres House to foodies and non-foodies alike. The portions are huge and the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was the first place I ate in New Orleans, so I ordered the sampler to split with my friend. It had rice and beans, crawfish etouffee, gumbo, and jambalaya. Everything was delicious! I am still thinking about the Jambalaya!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We really enjoyed our dinner. There were lots of choices, the portions were just right and the beer samplers were a nice touch. The staff is very friendly and this restaurant is located in the heart of NOLA. We would come back.