“Charming hotel in New Orleans 'Garden District'”

Prytania Oaks Hotel
Ranked #113 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Lyon, France
“Charming hotel in New Orleans 'Garden District'”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this delightful, charming, clean und quiet hotel.When I was looking for suitable accomodation, I was torn between a hotel in the French Quarter and the Prytania Oaks Hotel. We were so glad we chose the latter! We couldn't have found a better place to stay.

The rooms are relatively small, but hey - this is New Orleans and who wants to spend a lot of time in the room anyway? We returned only to sleep in a comfortable queen size bed. Everything is spotlessly clean and new with a great bathroom and a good shower.

Complimentary breakfast was alright, although we would have preferred a more wholesome and healthier choice: maybe some muesli and some wholewheat muffins/bread. It was served at the Prytania Park Hotel which is just a short walk away.

Check-in is also at the Prytania Park Hotel and you are well advised to leave your luggage in the car, otherwise you will have to put it in again when you drive to the parking area of the Prytania Oaks Hotel a few blocks further.

We can certainly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a quiet room with easy access to all the attractions in downtown New Orleans. The streetcar is just around the corner or you can walk to the French Quarter in about 20 minutes if you are a brisk walker.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I recently stayed for 4 nights at the Prytania Oaks Hotel and found it perfect for our needs. The room was very nice, with a comfortable bed and spacious bathroom. Our room was located on the second floor in the back of the building. We never once heard any street noise or noise from other people staying at the hotel. My favorite part of the room was the included fridge and microwave. More hotels should provide these amenities.

Front desk staff was very friendly when we checked in and when we needed to make change for the streetcar. Speaking of the streetcar, the Prytania Oaks couldn't be in a more convenient location. We spent a lot of time uptown (rather than just hanging out in the French Quarter), so I appreciated being able to hop on the St. Charles streetcar just a block from the hotel. We were able to park in the adjacent free, offstreet parking lot and never needed our car the entire trip.

I can't comment on the breakfast, because we were never awake early enough to take advantage of it. Overall, I highly recommend staying at this hotel if you want a great value and don't mind being a few minutes from the action instead of being right in the middle of it.

1 Thank themandy
Canberra
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Hard to fault, really. Lovely old restored house on a street which can get busy-ish but never seemed noisy. Free parking right next to the hotel. One block from St Charles Street and it's streetcar. Hotel breakfast is at an adjacent, related hotel and is basic but perfectly adequate. There is a small but well stocked supermarket (Zara's) a few blocks away on Prytania. We had decent food and service on St Charles St at Voodoo BBQ and St Charles Tavern.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My friend and I recently stayed at the Prytania Oaks. We stayed from September 27-October 1. Our visit was two fold: 1. to celebrate my 25th birthday 2. to just get away.

From the get go the service I received from this hotel was fantastic. I called ahead of time with some questions and spoke with Christine at the front desk who was pleasent and very helpful.

Our room was charming and we LOVED the bathroom. As two well maintained girls, we were both able to get dressed in there, makeup and all, without any issues. The bathroom, with the fireplace and brick trim, was gorgeous. The hardwood floors were a nice touch especially considering we're used to seeing traditional hotel carpet or tile. The rooms were well kept overall.

Now back to the service. My friend and I wanted to do some site seeing and asked the staff at the front desk for some help. Christine, again, was wonderful. We asked her a thousand questions about where to go and where not to go and she clearly took our safety into account when advising us. She was also sweet enough to highlight routes on our map. There was also another younger girl, not sure about her name but she was fairly young and wore bright pink eye shadow, who was great. She did the same and was pleasent and helpful.

My only concerns with this hotel had to do with the fact that the Oaks was a few minutes from the Park where guests have to check in. We had to wheel our luggage over to the hotel which was a bit 'different'. However, unless youre irritatingly high maintainance, you get over it quickly!
Also, the pillows on the bed need to be changed. They are old and this is evident by the fabric discoloration. Management and Ms.Schulman, please take note. Women notice. Changing them would make the room absolutely perfect.

A wonderful trip all in all. VISIT BOURBON ST. Its as awesome as they say! Be sure to also go on a haunted tour of the French Quarter.......its wicked even if you pee your pants. Also be sure to eat at the 'Cheesecake Bistro' on St.Charles. It'll change your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And lastly, take a walk through the garden district...the houses are MAGICAL.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dwight Shrute K
Hotels3, Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all the feedback, and I read the sites daily to be able to address issues immeidately, as they arise. I have noted your memo on the pillows, and will handle this immediately with the Executive Hskping Staff.

Fondly,
Dori H Schulman
Topeka KS
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This is my third visit to NO in two years, and I guess this one was the charm. This hotel was absolutely ideal, with genuine Garden District charm combined with up-to-date convenience and comfort. My king room stepped out onto a spacious front porch on Prytania Street. The room was extremely spacious, with a very comfortable bed, desk and chair, side chair, great storage space, security safe, flat panel TV, wifi, microwave, frig, coffee maker, spacious bath, and separate vanity area with a second sink -- plus the character of high ceilings, old paneled doors, wood plank floors, and large windows. This is a sister property to the Prytania Park Hotel, just around the corner, but here at the Oaks, no children are allowed (I think I've died and gone to heaven).

Check-in was gracious and friendly, and on-site parking is free. The hotel is a block from St Charles and the streetcar, so even if you aren't a walker, you can get anywhere easily. Emeril's Delmonico is three blocks away, the WW II Museum is only a half mile, and there is a myriad of services within easy walking distance of this lovely hotel.

Compared to the French Quarter or the popular Warehouse District, this Garden District location is a peaceful escape. There is some traffic on Prytania by day, but only sporadically -- and it was never an issue for sleeping at night.

Did I mention that this hotel is a killer value? When I return to NO, this is absolutely where I'll stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Scotland
Reviewed 5 October 2011

A well-priced small hotel on the edge of the Garden District and reasonably convenient for the city centre - either by walking (10-15 mins) or by tram (5 mins or so). The surrounding area is a bit scruffy and you probably want to take care if you were out walking after dark.
Facilities were clean and adequate. Breahfast was pretty basic and a bit disappointing compared to the usual standard of US hotels.

1 Thank Silver70s
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Fantastic hotel. All pros & no cons. A must stay for anyone visiting NOLA. We are all born & raised in NOLA & now live in GA. & AL., but we come home quite often throughout the year. Prytania Oaks will be our hotel of choice from this point on.

• Stayed September 2011