“Essence Fest 2014”

Prytania Oaks Hotel
Ranked #118 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband booked us here during Essence Festival and also as a birthday present to me. The girl who checked us in at the front desk was very friendly (Reina?). She must have talked to my husband because she brought us some champagne to our room as a birthday gift! I thought it was a nice for her to call us in the room after checking in to make sure everything was ok, we had a small problem with the toilet and maintenance was up in 5 minutes.

The room was beautiful, I felt like I was in a "home" rather then a hotel. Very comfy beds. The location was great to the concerts at the Mercedes Benz Dome and to the convention center. We rode the trolley everywhere but having the safe parking for free was a HUGE plus!

The only problem we had was with the night staff, I wanted to be sure about the parking options after coming in real late and he brushed me off like I would automatically know these things. Regardless to that, I would come here again and hope to be here for the festival next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Prytania Oaks Hotel, and honestly, it was better than I hoped. We got into the city a little late on Saturday evening, but there was still a staff member at the front desk to greet us. She was very friendly and extremely helpful. The front desk is located at the Prytania Park property which is about a block away from Prytania Oaks. The large, free parking lot for both hotels is also at the Prytania Park. Its a very short walk between the two. After checking in and parking we headed to our room. We had the King Oak room on the first floor of the Yellow House of Prytania Oaks. The room was BEAUTIFUL and very spacious. I loved the charm of the hold home, but was very appreciative of the very nicely done modern conveniences and upgrades to the room. The hardwood floors throughout were lovely. The bathroom was in excellent condition with marble and tile. There was an additional marble sink outside of the restroom, along with a station with a microwave and mini fridge. There was amble closet space, a sitting area and a flat screen TV in the bedroom area. The king size bed was incredibly comfy. One of the best i've slept on. My husband really enjoyed it. I was also very impressed with how CLEAN the hotel was. Our room was very clean and so were the rest of the grounds. Two other plusses are the price and the location. It is affordable, which i truly appreciate on a town of overpriced hotels and it is in a great location...a short walk to St. Charles and tons of Garden District eateries and the trolley. The owners are doing an excellent job with this place. The only reason I didn't rate it a 5 is because the breakfast was just average. Not as tasty as you might want in New Orleans, but we didn't mind at all! I have already recommended this B&B to friends and family, and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MdotMiller
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Excellent location if you don't want to stay in the French Quarter. It is only a block from St. Charles and a short walk to restaurants and cafés. We stayed in the Prytania Oaks which is the green building in the picture. Our room faced Prytania Street and had double French doors with a balcony overlooking the street. The room had a bed and breakfast feel with a New Orleans style. Would definitely stay here again. A great value!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank teach-school
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I took a short trip to New Orleans for a wedding on Memorial Day weekend. The wedding venue was in the garden district so we decided to stay in the Garden District. Prytania Oaks was amazing! It had a cute vintage New Orleans feel, but the room had modern touches with decor. We paid about half the price as other wedding guests that stayed in the bigger chain hotels in the French quarter, and got so much more! To begin with, the second we got there a very nice woman checked us in and upon finding out we've never been there, grabbed a map and started marking locations for us, even printed out a walking tour of the neighborhood (she marked where the wedding venue was, the location of a mansion we wanted to see that was used in American Horror Story, street car stops, popular locations in French Quarter). We also got complimentary breakfast (consisted of bagel, and cereals, juices coffee which was all we needed to help wake up) and FREE PARKING! The neighborhoood is so lovely with lots of houses and gardens, and we had a great outdoor courtyard in hotel that we enjoyed having a little wine at. Other guests told us how their bigger hotels were so expensive, had no complimentary snack or breakfast, expensive parking, and how rude the staff was to them. Also, they stayed in French Quarter and found it very loud and touristy, and wished they would have stayed in Garden District. The french Quarter was only a short street car ride, or $7 cab ride for us, so it was really convenient for us to go back and forth and enjoy the great locations in the French Quarter. We still got the quiet and nice trip we were looking for as a newlywed couple. We had an amazing trip full of great food, great music, lots of drinks, partying, sight seeing, and going to a beautiful New Orleans wedding! We only wished we would have had more time there, we are already planning our next trip, and Prytania Oaks is on the list!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bethany M
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Excellent location on a quiet street but convenient to downtown and the French Quarter via the St Charles streetcar. The room is lovely, clean and comfortable, although I echo the observation of other reviewers that the poster on the four poster bed obstructs the view of the TV if you're sitting on one side (would be a problem if more than one person is staying in the room). The only drawback to the hotel is the breakfast which is very basic, uninspired and in an awkward location in a narrow courtyard behind the Prytania Park Hotel. I'm not sure why they can't have it in the Prytania Oaks courtyard which is larger and more spacious or have it in both places. Overall I liked it very much and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank I H
Reviewed 10 June 2014

we had a good experience staying here. it's a great value for what you pay, the parking was free, which was a bonus. we started in a king room in the back of the building and moved to a front room with a porch on the second night due to a minor issue with the first room. i would recommend the larger king room with porch because it provided a little more room. noise was not an issue either night. it was pretty quiet.

the rooms are charming, i loved the wood floor and the high ceilings. on what had to have been the hottest weekend to date for 2014, the AC and ceiling fans kept us comfortable in the room, so i'm thankful for that.

the breakfast was simple, we walked in and chose not to eat. it's not bad, but we were looking for a little more to eat. if you like starbucks or other stronger coffee in the morning, then i would not recommend the coffee at the breakfast.

but all in all, we enjoyed it here, it was very convenient for where we had to stay. we spent a lot of time on magazine st. so it was very easy to get there. the rooms were clean and well-appointed.

Room Tip: - Need to check in at the Prytania Park hotel, just around the corner. - There are 8 parking spot...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Griffey R
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent location--just 1/2 block from St. Charles Street. But is very quiet. Room is clean but sort of small. The second bed was in a balcony--had to climb a spiral staircase. Free continental breakfast. We had to carry our luggage up a flight of stairs which was not easy for this old woman. But I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends