“Not worth the gas”

and up
City of New Orleans and Katrina Recovery Tour
Ranked #129 of 380 things to do in New Orleans
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The 9th ward was not worth visiting before Katrina. Now, it is worse (if that was possible). No tour company should be capitalizing on other people's pain. The residents of the 9th ward do not get anything out of the money spent on these tours.

The destruction of New Orleans was great during Katrina. But, New Orleans is being rebuilt. Give your tourist dollars to those parts of the city that have been rebuilt. There are many beautiful areas to be enjoyed. This is not one of them.

17  Thank Mike D
in 20 reviews
"org"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Worth taking a tour/drive through the area. The contrast even so many years later is striking. Some homes completely rebuilt, others boarded up, while others are merely foundations. Image 15 feet of water when you are driving thorough these neighbourhoods.

3  Thank HappyCanadian13
Reviewed 5 May 2014

It is impossible to think of New Orleans without also thinking about the devastation of Katrina.

We took a half day tour in a mini-bus that drives through some of New Orleans' highlights as well as viewing the destruction caused by hurricane Katrina in the Lower 9th Ward. There are great signs of hope and optimism in the area, with restoration of existing homes - many of which have been elevated to protect against future storms and construction of new 'storm-proof' homes, including unique designs by Brad Pitt's Make It Right group. Unfortunately news coverage says those Pitt-supported projects are already deteriorating.

Perhaps what is equally striking is the number of abandoned homes, seemingly untouched since the storm waters subsided. Some are overgrown with trees, and most still have the markings left behind by rescue workers indicating that no people (or bodies) are left inside.

This is a must see for every visitor to New Orleans. It is a reminder that New Orleans still has devastating poverty and that not everyone here is enjoying the fun, games and fine dining in the French Quarter.

10  Thank davidrA3168AF
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My nephew who lives in NOLA took us on a tour of this area one afternoon. Yes, it is disturbing to see first-hand the devastation from such a powerful storm such as Katrina. What bothers me most is that organized tour companies are capitalizing on these victims' misfortunes!

How can anyone PAY to see this area knowing they are lining the pockets of opportunists? This is not an attraction, but a natural disaster area that changed lives. History unfortunately will repeat itself. Perhaps in the best thing that could have been be done was to move those remaining to higher ground and let this piece of land return to it's natural state. What I did observe is this area remains a mess and tour buses are not helping. Please stay away and help though proper channels with appropiate donations.

16  Thank Condocat
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Recently traveled to N.O. for my birthday and I can't express how much I enjoyed myself. I wanted to experience a true Nawlins experience and I got just that. We accidentally met Mr. Milton Carr while on pit stop we were taking at the Treme Coffee Shop. He noticed us looking at the pictures around the shop and came up and talked to us and gave us some city history. He noticed me browsing Kermit Ruffin CD's that were for sell and recommended me some good ones (even took me to the Mother's In Law Lounge to meet him). He showed us the 8th and 9th wards, and even the neighborhood he lived in (just the experience we were looking for). He answered all the questions we had about the various things we saw in the city, recommended the best places to go to (which were all amazing) and why they are the best, he knows the city! He gave us history of the city(past and present) that would put other "tour guides" in New Orleans to shame! (we went to more than one while visiting) He taught us how to greet locals (see title), and showed us why many come but few leave. If you want to experience the "REAL" New Orleans and not just the "trendy" Canal and Bourbon street atmosphere, give Mr. Carr and Positive Tours a call, you WILL NOT be disappointed!!! Mr. Carr truly showed me and the group I was traveling with the true definition of Southern Hospitality!!!! Thanks for the experience of a lifetime, I will be back!!!

9  Thank Jack B