“Charming and wonderful place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #37 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Regina, Canada
“Charming and wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights in the Pirates Attic with a friend. Yes, we were aware that this was the smallest room and I was actually surprised at the size. I thought it would be much smaller than it actually was. It has it's own bathroom (which is wonderful in a B&B). This whole house has so much character and history and trinkets that you will never be able to take it ALL in. It was an amazing place to stay.
The air conditioner in our room was loud but I found it blocked out other nose and I sleep like a log every night. We spent some time each day sitting out on the swing on the front porch. With the bamboo as tall as the house it's a great sound buffer for traffic. It was the perfect tempurature even when the humidity was at 100%.
The walk to the French Quarter main streets and shops is about 10-15 mintues depending on where you're going and how fast you want to walk. The houses are amazing along the street to the Quarter. You'll pass The Port of Call pub and I would recommend stopping in for a drink and a burger. Both are really great. We sat at the bar and the bartenders were great fun!
The Banana Lady set us up with Stanley Lane for our taxi ride from/to the airport. He is an awesome upbeat man with tons of info about the city. Even if you don't end up staying here call Stanley for a ride. He's sure to keep you laughing and give you a great taxi experience. His number is 504-234-2859. He'll drive you around the city or out to the airport.
All-in-all this was an amazing place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone that wants a place that's not a standard impersonnal hotel. I'll stay here again if I make it back down there!

Room Tip: Book early for prime room options!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ambishen1981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 April 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of March 2011. It was really something! The house is large, fun, and quirky. It is right off one of the main highways, but you don't notice it once you walk in the front gate. The house is very large and roomy. We stayed in the Pirates Attic which was the smallest room there. Our room really wasn't that small though :) I thought it was very cozy and I liked having our own bathroom in a house. The only thing I had against the room was the air conditioner. Every time it started up it sounded like a boat motor for 5 minutes and that made it hard to sleep at night. They said it was getting fixed, so I really hope it is now.
The owners Mary and Hugh were very accomadating. They set us up with a friendly cabby to and from the airport. Breakfast wasn't anything fancy, but it was tasty. They served different pastries, fruit, and toast in the morning.
I really liked the location of the house. It was about a 5 to 10 minute walk down a tree lined street full of mansions to the well known sections of the French Quarter. I felt very safe there and we really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Busstop101
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I regret not getting this out sooner but when we got back from our trip last year there was so much going on that it kept slipping my mind. We went in March of 2010 but there wasn't that choice in the above slot.
Anyway, we stayed in the Pirate's Attic room. It was charming and cozy. Lots of things to look at as far as the decor. Yes, it was small but big enough for what we need in a room. I mean we were in New Orleans, why would we be spending all our time in our room? It was very comfortable though and a good place to take a breather and relax from all the stuff we did during the day.
Mary, the hostess, was wonderful. She made us feel completely at home the minute we stepped in. After we were settled in our room she showed us a map of the area and where we might want to go depending on what we wanted to do. She even introduced us to what became our favorite restaurant in New Orleans. Mary also led us down the street to Bourbon to orient us to where everything was before we went out for the night. We definitely couldn't have asked for a nicer hostess.
Chelsea was also fabulous. We met her when she was working during breakfast to provide everyone with ample amounts of food. Very sweet and always was in the best mood that always made us end up with a happy positive attitude no matter how tired we were. She also had great advice on where to go and what to do.
As for breakfast, there is the law that B&B's can't cook anything for guests -(which I still haven't figured out why) but regardless of that we never left the table less than full. They had plenty of fresh pastries, cereal, fruit, coffee, juice, tea. Everything was tasty. I even have a bunch of food allergies and they made sure I had enough to eat.
The B&B is just on the edge of the French Quarter -which was perfect for us so that we could walk everywhere without having to deal with all the chaos at night in the middle of the quarter. Also Frenchman Street was right down Esplanade from us and we ended up going there a lot at night so that was perfect too. We had no need to rent a car during our stay there.
I would definitely recommend staying at the Banana Courtyard, unless you want a round the clock party -not the place for that. It's warm, charming, conveniently located, the owners and staff are great and we are hoping to go back sometime soon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The only great part of staying here is Hugh and the Banana Lady. Of course if they have gone on vacation, well, the place is a total disappointment.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stanjoni
bananacour, Guest Relations Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this review, 3 October 2014
While the owners' charm and welcoming attitude are a big part of the success of our B & B, we strive to always make this a "home" for all of our guests. We hope you will visit us again under different circumstances.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2011

This was my third trip to New Orleans in the past three years, and I have stayed at the Camelback Townhouse and at Banana Courtyard every time. In fact, I will be returning there in under two months. This is a one of a kind place. I have met both Mary & Hugh, and both were welcoming and friendly. They have great tips on where to go and not go while staying in NOLA. This trip a friend and I stayed for four nights in NOLA. We spent two nights at the main B&B in the Mardi Gras room. It has a queen size bed, a futon, a dressing vanity with chair, and a full bathroom. There is a flat screen TV mounted on the wall and you also get a microwave and small refrigerator. I will have to say that the shower in this room is small, but it gets the job done. There is a ceiling fan in the bathroom which is a great thing to have in such a humid climate. The room was comfortable. It is on the outside of the house which is accessible by climbing three flights of stairs, which I don't think are that bad. That is just part of NOLA. We didn't take advantage of having breakfast at the B&B because we slept late both mornings we were there. Some people's reviews say that they are not comfortable with the location which is at Esplanade & North Rampart. Believe me, this is at the safer end of the FQ, on the edge of the FQ and the Marigny. My friend and I feel safe coming or going any time of night or day, walking or driving. The other two nights we stayed in NOLA, we stayed at the Camelback Townhouse in the Marigny. It is a nice little townhouse with a living room with couch bed, half bath, and full kitchen downstairs. Upstairs is a bedroom with a full size bed and a full bath. There is only a small, older tube TV downstairs, but who comes to NOLA to watch TV? Sometimes you can get WiFi if you are upstairs on your computer, but it is not guaranteed. I have stayed here 3 times now and love it. The owners live next door and are very friendly. The reservations and payments are handled via Banana Courtyard for the Camelback Townhouse. Reservations for the Camelback are hard to get, so book way in advance if you expect to stay here. The Camelback Townhouse is just around the corner from the B&B and I consider them to be in the same neighborhood. I can't say enough good things about Banana Courtyard. It is quirky, it is authentic and is a true piece of New Orleans history. I don't like regular hotels because they are all too generic. I feel at home and rested when I stay at Banana Courtyard. They have accommodations to fit any budget. I will stay here on my return trips to New Orleans. Things I like best about Banana Courtyard: location, price, service & memorable New Orleans experience.

Room Tip: Call for your reservation
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2011

EVERYTHING about our stay at Banana Courtyard was wonderful! I have to focus so that this review does not turn into a book on the glories of this place. OK, here we go...

LOCATION...a very quick walk from the heart of the French Quarter or to Frenchman Street, even after drinking several Hurricanes...but far enough away to ensure a peaceful rest.

DECOR... makes you feel like you are in N'Awlins 1920-40. The rooms are studded with antique furniture, knick knacks and art from a bygone era. The atmosphere and feel of this place takes you back in time. I also loved the radio that constantly piped in old jazz and all the beautiful photos of Mary's family. There is such a rich, warm history in this place.

SERVICE...from the time I first called the hotel for availability until the time I left my every question was answered promptly and every need was met. Mary also offers a plethora of valuable advice and guides on where to go, what to see, what to eat. She is your own in-house travel agent.

SWEET MEMORIES....Mary Ramsey, the proprietor is just the sweetest, friendliest person you'd want to meet. All of the above are very good reasons to stay here, but the mood that Mary creates is unique and not easily duplicated. She does not make you feel like a guest in a B&B, but like a friend in her home. Other places may have great location, prices and services...but they don't have Mary.

I will definitely stay here again and hope this review doesn't lead to someone else taking a room I want when I want it :) Enjoy Banana Courtyard!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I am only writing this review due to the experience I have had with trying to obtain information from the Ramseys. Today, after sending 2 messages this morning and ready to get the townhouse, and 3 the previous day, Mary had the audacity to say, "So sorry. I should have indicated the importance of calling. It is now rented, by someone who called."

Knowing that my family was interested in having the townhouse and wanting to know its location because it is not listed anywhere on the site (safety purposes), she sent me that email 3 hours after I wrote the original.

My advice, do not contact them via email, not even with interest because they will not respond in time. It is like this with the 32 locations we have contacted in NOLA. The 21st century is not quite there yet and that is okay. I guess I should have known from the website. Nice people, poor idea of management and customer service.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business