“Lovely B&B lovely staff good location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #36 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely B&B lovely staff good location”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Four of us visited from London and absolutely loved it! Loved the characterful decor and all of the antiques, Mary walked us along to help us get our bearings, and Stanley picking us up from the airport was a massive help. Found the locaction really good to get around. Breakfast was tasty and abundant! All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and quiet. Don't really understand the negative reviews about rules, they were common sense like locking the door behind you. The water and drinks left out was very helpful and just waht we needed after a night on Bourbon Street! Mary helped us suggesting places that the locals went to as well which was really useful. Would definately stay again. My only slight issue was with the other guests, some of the conversations at breakfast were just not on, like talking about 'nuking afghanistan and building a giant mcdonalds there!'. Not much can be done about that, but I think that was a rarity and would have happened wherever those horrible people stayed! All in all if we came back to New Orleans, we would definately come back to the Banana Courtyard. For younger guests, there is a Karaoke Bar called Kajuns ten minutes walk away, it is really fun!

Room Tip: We stayed in the attic room, is was small, as we knew it would be, but loved the decor. Our friends...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank theyneedsomething2do

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Amsterdam NY
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Have been to Banana Courtyard a number of times and would not consider staying anyplace else. Mary and Hugh have become great friends and my husband and daughter and I so at home when we are there. Staff is always helpful and in great spirits. I cannot leave out Stanley and "Mrs Stanley" from Lanes Cab who pick us up at airport and returns us to airport with such freindly service these are the people who make NOLA such a great city, with such charm and southern hospitality. Can't wait to go back, already making plans.

Room Tip: Rooms on the balcony are quieter, les street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank marjoe1
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I found this B&B online by typing in "haunted New Orleans bed and breakfast" because I was traveling to NOLA with the purpose of researching the local voodoo, paranormal, and magical culture of the city for a novel I am writing. I wanted to feel like I was in a real New Orleans house, and I wanted to be inspired to write. I can honestly say I was inspired the moment I walked through the front door! I may even try to recreate the house in my story!

I traveled with my mother, who is a senior, and she did fine on the stairs. We booked 3 nights in the Balcony Room (their largest room), and 2 nights in the Pirate's Attic (it's not really an attic, just small and has a slanted roof). I loved both rooms! The bedding was comfortable, the bathrooms were well stocked with soaps and towels, and the kitchenette in the Balcony Room could have gotten us through all of our meals if we wanted it to. For the Pirates Attic, we had access to refrigerators to store drinks and leftovers, and had a microwave in the hallway. We had television and wireless internet in both rooms as well. Breakfast was fun - I enjoyed meeting all of the other guests and hearing their experiences and sharing ours. We even teamed up with another group for an hour. Definitely felt the family vibe. I also liked having my own set of keys. I felt like I was coming home every day, putting my key in the gate and the doors like any real local would do!

To anyone considering coming here: DO YOUR RESEARCH. Each room is described in detail on their website so you will be able to choose which room will best accommodate you. I noticed some negative reviews on here that were obviously written by people that did not read the website or Mary and Hugh's instructions in their email/room book. Here's what I will say about that: This HUGE house is cared for by Mary and Hugh and only a few other people (Gerald is so helpful and polite, and Linette showed us rooms after people checked out and also a secret passage!). It is not a hotel - it is someone's house!! Please be respectful and aware of that fact when you come. If you want room service, a fully cooked breakfast, an elevator, no personal decorations, and a huge space, go to a Marriot or something equivalent. In fact, you might not want to even want to stay in the French Quarter at all. If you want a truly unique, fun, quirky, family-esque, local experience, come to The Banana Courtyard.

I loved my time there. The location was right on the tip of the French Quarter on the right side, and the walk down Esplanade into the quarter was very pleasant - beautiful houses. I could see myself living there. As for not feeling safe - don't be an idiot, don't walk down completely dark, deserted streets, and you will be fine. I live in Baltimore city so I am used to keeping an eye out, and I never felt unsafe. When you check-in, Mary shows you where to walk to get to the French Quarter. There is also a bus, number 57 or 88 right across the street from the door that can take you all the way down to the other end of the quarter - very helpful.
Ask Hugh for any sort of recommendation as far as tours go - there are so many offered in NOLA that it is easy to be overwhelmed. He will point you in the right direction. Mary and Hugh have also compiled a huge book in each room that has so much information - it's really incredible. So helpful! I'm pretty sure we saved a lot of money by going to restaurants they recommended - they were truly local places.

I miss the Banana, Hugh, and Mary already...I have definitely found my NOLA home away from home!

Oh...I think I also had a paranormal experience one night in the Pirate's Attic! Too complicated to explain in this review, but be prepared! You may have one as well!

Room Tip: I split my trip up by staying in 2 different room: The Balcony room is their largest room and is the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emily D
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We are a Couple in our mid-twenties. First time to NOLA and first time staying at a B&B. We stayed in the Hexagon room which was large and beautiful with a gigantic bathroom! The bed was super comfortable. The whole trip was amazing and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Banana Courtyard! Thank you for the hospitality!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank JustJess1985
Temple City, CA USA
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Not being able to get hotel rooms in NOLA due to NCAA Basketball Finals, we used internet and found the Banana Courtyard. What a great find! We were 10 people and had 5 rooms, from quite small to very large. A charming mansion dating back to 1850s and furnished in antiques and vintage items. Our host and hostess, Hugh and Mary Ramsey made us welcome and were there for any and all special requests. Hugh served our breakfast of fresh fruit, toast, croissants, jams, coffee, tea and orange juice. And all accompanied by wonderful tales of historical events and places, told by Hugh. The location suited us well and it is just outside of the French Quarter, allowing us to walk to many adventures. Hostess Mary, the Banana Lady, was indeed a lady and wonderful hostess. I would not hesitate to recommend this fun B & B.

Room Tip: All rooms were good. It depends on your needs. If claustraphobic, avoid Pirates Alley. We loved i...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoMama_12
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We made a family vacation trip to New Orleans in March, and stayed at the 1870 Banana Courtyard B & B--we occupied most of the bedrooms in the main house. It could not have been better. Wonderful innkeepers and support staff, charming period decor, and an excellent Continental breakfast--which changed each day.
Many helpful suggestions were given to us; the convenient Quarter location made it easy to walk or cab to our destinations there. Its proximity to Marginy made that neighborhood an alternative to the Quarter for excellent meals and clubs.
We'd happily return to this B & B.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Mokena, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed four nights and had a great time in New Orleans. There were no rooms available for all four nights when I booked, so Hugh put us in the balcony room the first night and it was fantastic! The next day, the staff moved our bags to Madame's Steamboat room in the main part of the house. It had its own style and an old claw-foot tub. The room and the hospitality were wonderful, but showering in a tub not made to be a shower was the only downside of our entire stay in "Nawlins". Can't blame the innkeepers for that though.

Hugh and Mary have a tremendous location just a few blocks from Bourbon Street and are so loaded with information and insights it is nearly impossible to absorb it all! We tried our best and took advantage of tips from their info and from the gentleman-- Stanley-- who picked us up at the airport and checked us in at the inn. What an asset he is to Hugh and Mary!

We never felt unsafe and we walked and took the streetcars everywhere we went. I would definitely consider the Balcony Room for our next visit!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple