“Quirky but Convenient”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #36 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Quirky but Convenient”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

When staying in NOLA, you can spend alot of money staying in the French Quarter and likely you'll also spend a lot of time listening to drunks on Bourbon Street. OR you can stay at a place like the Banana Courtyard and spend less money and walk just a short way to the French Quarter. This place is a quirky little Bed and (sort of) Breakfast. The best things about it: Mary and Hugh. They are the welcoming committee and they are friendly, funny, helpful and give you everything you every wanted to know and where to go. The information they provide is beyond detailed and comprehensive. It's terrific. They are delightful, and warm. As one reviewer noted, the interior is decorated like New Orleans exploded inside of it. Dresses on the wall, posters, an old stove and old furniture abound on the bottom floors.
In the rooms upstairs, they are obviously "add ons" trying to maintain the general decor but are more modern. (microwaves, sink and coffee pots)
I stayed in the Cannon Ball room in the main floor. For all of us, I'd say that the location and the accommodations were a great bargain. I for one do not like to spend huge amounts of money for a place to lay my head when I'm only going to be there to sleep primarily. If this is what you are looking for and some charm, I recommend it.
What's not so great? The showers are the 36" inserts and if my boyfriend had been with me, and he had dropped the soap? Well, let's just say he couldn't have picked it up. They are tiny. But the water pressure is fine and hot water seems plentiful. My bed was an antique and while beautilful (see picture), it was very uncomfortable.
If you don't know, Bed and Breakfasts cannot have "cooked" breakfast in NOLA. So, the breakfast in this B&B was with a small b. They can give you toast and pastries and of course coffee and water and tea. You needed to call them up 30 minutes before you were to come down for breakfast and then ring a bell to let them know you are arrived in the dining room. Since I am not a pastry for breakfast type person, nor a great morning person altogether, this seemed like a lot of trouble for toast and tea. So, in all honesty, we never ate in the dining room for breakfast but either slept in and then headed for brunch. There were granola bars available and always bottled water. Yes, I'd stay there again. It was a good bargain for the money and very, very conveniently located.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BermudaCarolinaGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I initially looked online to book a hotel prior to arriving in New Orleans. We weren't well-researched on the city (just brief knowledge of French Quarter) and looking at prices, walking distances to/fr hotel and dealing with parking was looking pretty daunting. We considered settling for Best Western or one of those kind of hotels but I really wanted to stay somewhere locally-owned and with character. So we figured we'd just wait and see when we arrived in the area.

I found a brochure for this B&B at a rest stop just over the border of Louisiana. It was fate, indeed. I called the number, and spoke with Mary who was fun and charming and let us know a room was available (could hardly believe our luck!) She gave us directions and met us outside the house.

The house is classic New Orleans architecture and walking inside is like a step back in time. There are a vast array of historical items throughout the house to explore. We stayed in the cannonball room which was so charming and romantic. We knew it was the perfect spot for our stay.

Mary was so helpful and even walked around with us to orient us to the area. She let us know where the good local food spots were, informed us on the architectural and a bit of social history and was just lovely in general. All the great spots we wanted to see in the quarter were in easy walking distance.

Breakfast was so filling : delicious croissants, muffins, fruit, coffee, toast all served by Hugh who is so friendly and kind.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. This B&B made our stay all the more informed, fun and magical. Stay here, you won't go wrong.

4 Thank AshleyBlacker
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I went online googling a Bed and Breakfast for mine and my husband's 10th wedding anniversary trip and found the Banana Courtyard. I booked the Hexagon room. From the first contact I had over the phone with Mary she was warm and very real. She sent me a SUPER detailed confirmation email with anything and everything I would need to know upon arrival. We drove from Mobile, AL to New Orleans Friday night and called as instructed at exit 236C from the interstate. Mary directed us in and welcomed us into her home with a complimentary cocktail. She talked to us about the history of the home (which is beautifully decorated, eclectic and overall charming as can be!) and got us settled in. She talked to us about the area recommending to us not only local activities and restaurants but also advised what streets to take (or avoid) at certain times in order to be safe. Breakfast at the Banana is warm and inviting. I loved sitting at the dining room table enjoying hot fresh pastries, crossiants, fresh fruit and juice (and that AWESOMELY strong NOLA coffee) with fellow guests. We never felt alone or lost about where to go because we could ask our hosts or other guests about their experiences. We had asked for champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries Sat. night for our anniversary and when we returned from dinner a lovely plate of hand dipped strawberries, a chilled bottled of bubbly and a VERY sweet note was left on our bed wishing us a happy anniversary personally from Mary and Hugh! (It was so sweet and said we were part of the vanishing breed of those who commit for life and said be like swans who mate for life and stay together forever!) We are Catholic and wanted to go to Mass but didn't know the Mass times or locations and while talking with Hugh over breakfast learned that he too is Catholic. When he learned we wanted to go too he said "Meet me outside and go with me!" and we hopped in his car and accompanied him to St. Patrick's for 11AM 'half-latin' Mass. Never in my life have I ever been treated so kindly on any trip. We really felt like we were there visiting with family instead of staying in a hotel as just another room #. I just cannot recommend this place highly enough! The room was GORGEOUS and so spacious! The value of the rate for such a room and the attention we received is unmatched by any in the city! (And trust me, I priced MANY hotels in NOLA.) When we checked out Monday morning at 11am we turned our keys in. Most places would say goodbye and send you on your way. Not at the Banana! Hugh gave us in/out keys with a remote so we could still park our car in their private locked gate without worrying about having to repark and pay elsewhere since we were staying all day to sightsee in the Quarter. He and Mary told us to feel free to come back in the dining room for a cold drink and said we were still welcome to relax in the B&B in the public areas of the house all day long as much as we liked. When we did leave Mary hugged and kissed us on the cheek and we told her we would be back with our daughter. She told us she looked forward to seeing us again. Honestly this is the place you write home about while on vacation! The Ramsey's know how to make you feel welcome and this is our new home away from home ANYTIME we are in New Orleans now!

OH! Do yourself a favor for lunch! On Mary's recommendation we went right next door to the "Orange Store" Convenience Store. Once inside hang a left to the back counter and order a Shrimp Poboy. These little ladies bake their own bread (they pre-bake it til just slightly done and then freeze and when you order they pop it in the oven to get it golden brown and fresh!) I watched them hang bread and deep fry a baker's dozen of gigantic shrimp and then pile them on top of that fresh baked bread with mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickles. Best damn po-boy I have ever eaten and I have eaten a LOT of them growing up on the Gulf Coast! I have a big appetite and I had to half it with my husband. The side of fries is huge too so one is plenty for two people! Wonderful lunch that only cost us $8.29 in all! There is no place to eat it in the store but we took it back to the Banana Courtyard and enjoyed it thouroughly! Last day we were there we brought two home with us on the return trip to share with my mom and daughter for supper! They are THAT DAMN GOOD!!!

Room Tip: The Hexagon room is romantic and quite spacious! Has an antique wardrobe trunk from Gone with the Wi...
6 Thank Emily B
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The interior is decorated like a museum of New Orleans eccentricities and adds to the charm and ambience. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, the service is wonderful, and the location is very convenient to the French Quarter. There is abus stop at the corner that connects with the streetcar at Canal Street or you can easily walk into the quarter. The hosts are very helpful in finding places to eat or to see that are not the usual tourist traps. If we come back to NOLA, we will probably stay here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower floor are larger.
3 Thank kansas57
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My wife, 2 year old daughter, and I spent the night at the Banana Courtyard. Mrs. Mary, and Mr Hugh was very accommodating for us. When we arrived we was greeted at the gate by Mr. Hugh who guided us with parking and checking in. Mr. Hugh sat down and explained different sites and attraction in the French Quarter to us. Once we got settled into our room, Mrs Mary even took us on a walking tour into the French Quarter district, explaining what was where. The place was very quiet and clean. We were worried about our 2 year old making noise and disturbing others, but no one heard her playing in the room. The deluxe continental breakfast was out of this world. Overall our stay was excellent, and we will be coming again next time we visit New Orleans.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jbs_bama
Boston, MA
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My wife, son and I spent a week at the Banana B&B in May 2013. Our experience was like so many others...very positive and we felt right at home. We booked the Pirate's Attic for the three of us, and upon our arrival, Mary was kind enough to offer our son his own separate room (their grandchild's room when he comes to stay) to give us all a bit more room. Although he declined, it was very nice of Mary to offer. After we brought out luggage to our room, Mary then walked us down Esplanade St. to get us oriented to the French Quarter. Hugh also spent time with us the first day pointing out many local places (off the beaten path on Frenchmen Street) that are not in the touristy area of Bourbon Street. Frenchmen Street is also lined with clubs and live music which is even closer to the B&B. The breakfasts, though simple (breads, croissants, fresh fruit, coffee, juice, pastries, homemade jams, peanut butter, nutella, etc.) were filling and got us going in the morning. The house is lined with Mardi Gras paraphernalia and photos of Hugh and Mary's family. Some of the antiques in the downstairs hallway and in the dining room are interesting as well. We had a great stay and would definitely return to the Banana.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank hawkeye
Amsterdam NY
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Well our vacation was great again due to Mary, Hugh, and all their staff at Banana Courtyard. There is never a question of where to stay when we go to NOLA. Secure gate and quite, great room and much to look at in the old historic home. I do not want to forget to give a shoot out to our driver Stanley. All of these people are the heart and soul of NOLA. Mary and Joe

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, balcony rooms are a little quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple