“Wish I was still there”

1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #40 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Absolutely loved it here. Eclectic, eccentric and lots of Fun. Filled with antiques, odds and ends, memorabelia, so much to look at. The room we stayed in (hexagon room) was absolutely massive with high celings, a very comfy bed, and lots of personality. We also stayed in the balcony room, which was very clean and friendly, but not as ecclectically decorated. Either room was perfect with us. The owners (Hugh and Mary) were fabulous. Very helpful, thoughtful and people you would want to hang out with. Mary gave us a great walking tour, showing us around, and directions on how to get to the French Quarter, (which is all of one street away). Some people have commented on the security of the location, I had no problem with this at all. I felt very safe, even walking along the street to get to the French Quarter. I know Mary walks out that way all teh time. The B&B is behind a high fence, (need a key to open), and FULL of plants, a hammock and lots of fun things to look at. If you are looking for a sparkling clean, generic hotel, this is not the place for you. Go with a bit of imagination, a bit of whimsy and a sense of adventure, and you will be just as thrilled with the Banana Courtyard as I was.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B

Reviewed 27 September 2009

Only about 5-10 minutes from the French Quarter, it was a great place to take my partner who was visiting NOLA for the first time. I really don't like standard hotels because they're boring, cold and overpriced. Banana Courtyard is quirky, warm, and the owners give great service. You can tell that they want to the customer to be satisfied with their visit. In my experience, regular hotel employees do not even care that you exist. At Banana Courtyard, you are truly treated like a valued guest.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Not your every day B&B - Hugh and Mary welcome you like a long lost friend and they know everything there is to know about New Orleans: what to see, where to eat, how to get there and how NOT to get there. They do everything but take you by the hand themselves to get you to where you want to go. If you are the type of person who loves old homes and rummaging around antique stores and flea markets, this is the place for you. The house is full of fabulous New Orleans collectibles. This once bordello is on the fringes of the French Quarter so you have a bit of a hike before you reach the hoopla of Bourbon Street but quiet, picturesque neighborhoods along the way. (Have Hugh tell you the story of the peacock. By the way, I have dibbs on the peacock when Hugh decides to get rid of it.) Ann B. Washington D.C.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Hated the place. Tiny rooms whith cheap old pseudo deco effect badly cleaned. Got moved to the grandly named garrett suite, in fact an old ladie's attic converted in a bedroom with flea infested carpet!! Most disturbing : her dead husband's ashes on the dining table!! I felt like a child visiting my nan. Told to give 30 mins notice for bkfast but all there was was toast & muffin so god knows why 30mins. Not the best location either. French quarter & bars are 15 mins walk which can be unsafe at night and long and tedious during the day with heat and humidity. Left one night early cause Had enough of that horrible load of old tat called memoribilia

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank Ddb1973
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I would reccomend the 1870 Banana Courtyard B&B for many reasons, yes the service and ammenties are superb! It is very comfortable, from the beds to the baths. Beautifully decorated and you never tire of looking at the items around the house.
Mary and Hugh are the most welcoming hosts. Mary even walked with us through the quarter to show us her favorite haunts. Richard and the rest of the house staff were always there to answer questions and give suggestions on dining and everything else NOLA has to offer.
The house itself draws you in immediately once you walk through the front gate. Lush gardens surround the house(banana trees) as well as a fence for privacy and noise barrier.
Once inside, the home is filled with antiques and artifacts from around the globe. Ceilings soar and the smell of baked goods and chicory coffee finds you quickly.
I was lucky enough to stay in the Hexagon room, also known as the parlour. I highly reccomend requesting this room, mostly for the comfort of the huge bed and ambience of the room itself!
Once you do a brief history on the home, you will find out it was once a bordello, and long before that, a funeral parlour. So you can imagine why it may be haunted. My friend and I definitely had a few experiences we could not explain. Either way, it is a great inexpensive place to stay that is a short walk to everything!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julianne09
Reviewed 5 July 2009

This was my husband and I's first experience at a Bed & Breakfast. We could not have been more delighted at our choice. When we came into town Richard was there waiting on the sidewalk to open the gate and help us with our bags. We came in and he sat us at the large dining room table and offered us a glass of wine, beer, water or soda. So while sitting there with a glass of wine he gave us all kinds of information on New Orleans and the people here. He treated us like family. After giving us our room keys (we stayed in the small pirates room upstairs, very small but all we needed was a bed and a place to shower) My parents stayed in the hexagon room which was much larger. We came back downstairs a short time later and Richard was gracious enough to take us for a quick tour of the french quarter and made recommendations. He dropped us off in front of a restaurant which we chose from his recommendation which was very good. Richard was a told crackup with a very unique personality that we loved. We got a cab to come home in.

My husband and I did not have any time in the mornings to try the breakfast so I cannot comment but my mom said the coffee was terrific. Richard even went out and got her favorite blend.

We did not get to spend much time at the B&B because we were only there for 4 days so we packed in as much as we could.

The hotel was built in the early 1700's so that is something that you have to keep in mind when booking that it will have quirks of old homes. We found it very unique and fun. Very homey also.

My husband and I are planning to go back in the future and we will stay there again.

They also do tell you when you book that the neighborhood is so/so... it has a gated area for your vehicle and I even left my laptop in the car and no one bothered our vehicles or belongings. Even had I have been by myself I would have felt safe because there is a locked gate and fence surrounding the B&B and the front door is always locked.

If you are looking for a hotel with all the fancy stuff then this is not the place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable friendly place to stay then this is the place.

They treat you like family and delight in hearing about your adventures while you were there and don't mind talking about theirs. I felt like I had known these people many years.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LynnNeathery
Reviewed 25 June 2009

The Banana Courtyard was a very nice bed and breakfast, with lots of character. It is in a very old home, as many B&Bs are so it has characteristics of that. It was very clean and neat, though I couldn't use my high watt hair dryer. That is the only thing that I missed, but they did have a lower watt hotel dryer in the room.
Everything else was just spectacular, from the start. They have a driver who will pick you up at the airport and will return you there as well. The fee was pretty resonable and his vehicle is roomy and clean. When we arrived, Mary was there to give us the information on the house, a drink and show us to our room. We were very surprised to find out that she would be giving us a personal walk to Bourbon Street complete with directions and hints of where to go (and not to go). Their knowledge of local restaurants, shops and happenings is extensive, and if they don't know, they can tell you where to find out.
New Orleans does not allow bed and breakfasts to cook for you. We were unaware of this, but it was no big deal because they are allowed to bring in food from local pastry shops. Coffee, tea and juice were served and the baked goods were tasty. Honestly, if they didn't serve breakfast, it would have been o.k. because we were eating our way through the city anyhow and ate at Cafe DuMonde and the Camellia Grill (awesome) as second breakfasts.
The service and conversation were wonderful and the southern hospitality shined. I am drawing a blank on the gentleman's name, but the man who has worked for Hugh and Mary for 15 years was very helpful and truely interesting. If you want to find something or know what is happening in the area, he can tell you.
Our room was air conditioned and clean and it was always spiffy when we returned in the evening. I would certainly return to this B&B in the future as long as I didn't have young kids with me. There are LOTS of antiques, and they would be like a bull in a china shop. Save this place for grown ups and older children- most people wouldn't take little ones to a B&B anyhow, I guess.
Enjoy yourself if you stay. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple