1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #37 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2007

Very charming, cozy, pretty place. It feels like grandma's home, except better. great friendly breakfast, free sodas, beer and wine.
We loved our stay there! the only problem was the shower: very little pressure, not much hot water. I guess that's what you get for wanting the historic feel!

Valentine, Memphis.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank frenchick

Reviewed 25 January 2007

This place made my trip all that more special. When we arrived, Laurie was waiting for us at the door to welcome us in. She gave us a presentation of the place, along with a tour and some of the rich history the walls have held for so many years. After settling in, Hugh walked us thru a few blocks to get us acquinted with Nawlins! And Mary was everything you could ask for in a host. We felt so warm and at home at the courtyard that it was hard to leave. It was like staying at grandma's house, with a drunk neighbor. I can't wait to get back to see my New Orlean's family.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank virginiaslim1979
Reviewed 18 December 2006

My room, the most modest in the establishment, did not have the charm of the more expensive rooms. Bad shower, with hot and cold shower knobs attached to a piece of wood, really poor water pressure. A saggy mattress; an unsafe looking space heater I was afraid to use.

On the plus side, the facility is clean and imaginative. The location of the b&b is not its title and it is in an area that is on the outside border of what seems like a safe area.

Had I read a realistic assessment of this property, I would have made another choice and so, I pass this information along.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
5  Thank Jupiter3
Reviewed 20 November 2006

I stayed at the Banana Courtyard B&B just a few months before Katrina struck New Orleans. I was immediately struck by the warm welcome I recieved from both Mary and Hugh; I have never felt so "at home" while travelling. After the paperwork was complete, Mary gave me an extensive information package that consisted of a map of the city, a list of things to do and see, and also shared tidbits of information that she thought I would appreciate about the less "tourist-y" things to experience in NOLA. She then personally walked with me to show me how to get to Bourbon Street. Again, something that's never happened at other hotels!

The B&B itself is breathtaking; a fantastic plantation-style home with a remarkable amount of comfortable, spacious rooms. I stayed in the Hexagon Room, and it was amazing. Huge bed, fantastic mattress, wonderful antique furniture everywhere you turned....and the bathroom! Gorgeous claw-foot tub and porcelain sink...I felt like I had gone back in time. The whole house is decorated with vintage and antique art, photography, sculptures, furniture...you could spend a whole day looking at each and every detail of the home's decor and still not see everything!

On the mornings I actually made it out of bed before noon, (thank you hurricanes and daiquiris! :) -- I found the breakfast to be fantastic and delicious, with plenty of different things to choose from. I really appreciated the water, soda, and fruit that were left out on the sideboard for guests each day as well.

I would definitely make a return trip to NOLA, and would absolutely stay again at the Banana Courtyard B&B. I hope to do so in early 2007....I have a yearning for some southern hospitality and "lagniappe"! :)

Cheers!

--Monica

4  Thank TripGrrrl
Reviewed 16 November 2006

I've stayed within the Banana Courtyard properties for at least three times now and I've never been anything less than thrilled by the amount of care and consideration they give each guest. I've stayed both at the guesthouse off Frenchman as well as the Poolhouse cottage in the Marigny and both accomodations far exceeded my expectations. The Ramseys sincerely care about the time their guests have. Value for the money is incredible!!! I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Also--the decor:::: LOVE IT ALL~!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank Razorart
Reviewed 8 November 2006

I just got back from a trip to New Orleans. I stayed for a week at the 1870 Banana Courtyard and I loved it. The Banana is clean, quiet, homey and safe. It is an old victorian home with lots of vintage stuff to look at. The rooms are great, with different themes in each one and colorful decor, if you ever get to go to New Orleans I recommend the Banana courtyard.

Stayed: October 2006
3  Thank msmorse1969
Reviewed 3 October 2006

Wow. Maybe we should call this review section “battle of the visitors”. These posters really have us riled up. Maybe they are confused about the name of the B&B?

We always go onto Internet to post a review after we travel. Were shocked to hear a review about Banana Courtyard, where we stay every time we go back to New Orleans, our favorite city. WE WOULD NEVER STAY ANYWHERE ELSE and stayed with them last in August 2006.
Guess we’ll take their comments on 1 by 1. I wonder if the guests posting the review ever told the owners about problem while they were there?

Drooling water: We’ve always found them very responsive, but we rarely had anything to complain about. They do have a little sign that says that in old houses somehting is always breaking, so let them know so they can have fixed. I know once when we stayed there was a problem with shower, and they immediately called and got plumber out to fix probelm. Let me see if I can get this right. It turned out that with plumbing in the historic section of the house, pipes sometimes sluff off built up iron deposits and that can restrict flow of water into shower heads and sink faucets. Plumber removed shower head and cleaned filter and all was solved.

Breakfast: Complainers MUST have stayed somewhere else. Servings were klarge, specialty Creole items served, variety every day. Later in day, fruit, granola bars for snacks middle of day, soda pop, bottled water, wine, beer, all free. They made special sweet tea for us and kept available for other guests too.

Size: Some of their rooms are huge, some small. We have stayed in them all. To us, rates seem to be comensurate with room size.

Questionable characters: We have found Banana Courtyard to be a serene setting, and felt very safe there. Maybe those guests didn’t like the fact that across the street, there are FEMA trailers housing 1st responders. I guess there are always predjuced people who don’t feel compromises should be made in time of city recovering from disaster.

Signs: The owners do have little signs up, trying to help guests understand what to expect. One of them is about low water pressure in post Katrina New Orleans. Another one reminds guests to lock doors. As to all the papers thrown at you, they give each guest a map and typed sheet telling about places that guests might enjoy going. They even take the time to walk guests down to bourbon St, and give a mini tour along the way.

Bed: The sign on the bed, if it was Cannonball Room where they slept, may have been put up after we stayed there. We are used to sleeping in a bed with headboard. We sit in bed and read and lean back on headboard. We didn’t think about it when we did this in that bed. We cracked the headboard. That is when we found out that bed was an antique that was handmade in early 1800 for their family. Mary and Hugh were very gracious and did not make us feel guilty about it, but they had to call someone in to repair reinforce it. P.S. Mattress was custom made to fit, is firm, just how we like it. I’m sure there are a lot of people who like soft mattresses.

Gues I’ve gone on long enough. Just wanted to voice our opinion.

Places to go: Frenchman St., Coops Place, Adolfos, Snug Harbor, Apple Barrel, Firolellis, Gumbo shoppe, Cafe Brazil.

The traveling duo, Jon and Sandi