A couple of girlfriends and I had been to New Orleans before and we had such a wonderful time we wanted to go back but this time we decided to look into bed and breakfasts. We chose this one because it was very reasonably priced compared to the others and the location. When we called to book a room she (Mary, aka. the banana lady) didn't realize we were asking for three people instead of two when she quoted us the price but since we were quoted the wrong price initially even though we should have mentioned the number of guests first she deducted $10 off the extra person charge. We also were AAA members and she said that since the summer rates were already so discounted she couldn't give us that discount but she did give us free parking which also saved us quite a great deal of money. She also sent tons of pages on restaurants, places to go and see, and music venues with reviews for each so it was like we had our own free guidebook to NOLA which was fantastic!! I couldn't believe how much effort they put in for their guests.
Before we got there I actually read the negative reviews on this site and got quite scared and was afraid we made a really bad choice. They said things like the service, the rooms, the breakfast, and the location and safety of the area were all lacking in quality. However, we found that to not be the case by an extreme long shot! My group of friends and I are all in our early 20's but we aren't really the Burboun street, wild and crazy crowd and last time we came we were really enamored with Frenchman street which has all the great jazz clubs and a more local and chill crowd. The location was absolutely perfect for that! It was within a 5 minute walk to Frenchman and Cafe Dumond and right next to the French Quarter as well. We didn't find there to be any safety issues for us at all either, we never felt uncomfortable and for a couple of young girls that was really important.
They offered us the free drink when we got in but we were so tired we decided to take a rain check, but there was always a stock of sodas and bottled water for us to take, coupons and even umbrellas in case it rained! Mary and Hugh were so friendly and thoughtful, we got lost coming and Mary met us outside in her robe to direct us in while Hugh stayed on the phone with us until we got there. Also, any questions we had to ask were answered in details with directions and explanations, I couldn't have expected family to have treated us any better! They were the sweetest hosts and the rooms were so cute and everything we needed was provided for us. I will never stay any place else when I come back to New Orleans!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ooh la la. 1800s bordello catered to society's elite. Bed and breakfast now, great location at corner of French Quarter. Bourbon St. 3 blocks. Gateway from I-10. Romantic balcony, courtyard, hammock, Verandah, antiques. Lagniappe: don't just visit New Orleans - live it like a local with our Insider Eguides: music, dancing, restaurants, food, history, culture, sightseeing. Our tax ONLY 5%, most hotels are 17.5%. 23 years, 50% of guests call us quirky & keep returning. Each room unique, with a special theme. INCLUSIVE, free local phone calls, Wi-Fi, soft drinks, bottled water, & Continental PASTRIES breakfast with coffee, hot water for tea, grits, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and toast. Other stuff like cereal or yogurt, cheese, boiled egg, sandwich meat, gluten by request. All private ensuite bathrooms, individually controlled heat and air. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans Bed And Breakfast
- 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans Hotel New Orleans
- Courtyard New Orleans
- New Orleans Courtyard