“Gracious Southern Hospitality and Old World Charm and Epicurean Delights Await at Ashton's B&B”

Ashton's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Relax within the walls of this lovingly maintained and beautifully decorated old mansion and enjoy southern hospitality at it's finest and most sincere. I am still savouring the decadent gourmet breakfasts served with southern flair each morning. They are worth every pound I happily gained. Patrick is the ultimate host and as another reviewer has attested to, his restaurant recommendations are not to be ignored. I will not go on and repeat all the accolades stated before but suffice to say it is all true and then some. Long May She Reign as the Queen of B&B's in NOLA!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spirit56

Reviewed 9 March 2014

If you're looking for that taste of southern charm in New Orleans that can get lost in the madness of Bourbon St., look no further than Ashton's Bed and Breakfast.

Located on Esplanade Ave. (rhymes with Lemonade), in a real neighborhood away from that gosh-awful smell that is Bourbon St. in the morning (if you've been there you know exactly what I mean), lies what has to be one of the most charming and quaint B&B's my wife and I have ever stayed at. Furnished with antiques as well as all the amenities you expect from a five star hotel, (the bath robes are to die for) your hosts, Patrick and Karma, have really hit it out of the park with this place.

This was our second Mardi Gras based out of Ashton's in the past two years and our group was a party of 10 with as many different personalities and peccadillo's as you might expect from a large group and the good folks at Ashton's handled it all flawlessly with grace and poise. Special requests?... No problem! Don't like what is on the breakfast menu that morning? No problem, how can we help? That literally is the way it is at this place. Unlike another B&B located on the St. Charles streetcar line we stayed at that shall remain nameless that thought some pastries from Costco and a pot of coffee constituted "breakfast" that justifies a $350 a night rate...

Ashton's is one of the few B&B's in New Orleans that actually serves a REAL, gourmet breakfast prepared everyday by Patrick, Karma and Joe (you'd be surprised to know that the majority of B&B's in NOLA don't actually cook anything except coffee and really, does continental breakfast count as breakfast? Why not call your place Bed and Rolls or Bed and you're on your own?). And they are seriously serious when it comes to breakfast here. From the Sweet Potato Stuffed French Toast with Pecan Honey Butter to the Bananas Foster Waffles, you will be able to skip at least one meal in a restaurant thanks to the decadently delicious start to your day that Ashton's provides.

As another reviewer noted, though not located in the quarter, Ashton's is just a short walk or cab ride to just about anywhere you'd want to visit in NOLA. Coming for Jazz Fest? Stay at Ashton's and walk there in about 15 minutes and save the $$ and the headache of trying to catch a cab in the mass of people piling out of the festival. But be warned, book early to get a room here as they can fill up quickly for special events.

I literally could write a book about how great this place is, as another reviewer did, but instead let me sum it up for you in 5 words and an Acronym: "Best Place To Stay In NOLA" - Period!

Room Tip: Though all rooms are superb, if you have an aversion to climbing stairs after a night of drunken deb...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was my second year to stay with Patrick & Karma at Ashton's Bed & Breakfast for a week during Mardi Gras. Both times I have stayed in the Cajun Kitchen (5) and have never been disappointed. The mornings are always extravagant as you wake to Patrick developing an extravagant, gourmet breakfast for you in a family dining setting. Snacks, fresh fruit, bottled water and soft drinks are available 24 hrs inside the dining area of the main house. I enjoy walking and have walked safely many times to and back from the French Quarter, the Frenchmen street area as well as the Treme, however taxis are always available for about $6 to and from the Quarters area. Also, it is not a bad walk to the fairgrounds for Jazz Fest. During the day or the evenings, it has always been an enjoyable walk down Esplanade admiring all of the various architecture of a by-gone era. A small convenience store is located across the street for your convenience, as well as a gated parking and living area. Carolyn, who assists the Ashtons, is always nice and considerate. Karma is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to parades and other events, as well as Patrick. Their insight into New Orleans is well received when you need to understand a certain place or event and I have learned to trust their perspectives. Both times I stayed 5-6 nights and it was always sad to leave this place. It is furnished appropriately and I have had friends stay in the other rooms in the house and everybody has been well satisfied. The front porch is right out of the verandas and porches of "Gone With The Wind", with a front parlor room inside the house with a large humidor filled with cigars for your enjoyment on the porch as well as a desktop and printer for your computer needs. The rooms are quiet and more than comfortable with the best linens. All the furniture is antique, and to actually sit in these sofas and chair is a pleasure. I have stayed at many, many places over the years and Ashton's is the best by far. If you are fortunate enough to stay there, you will never want to stay anywhere else again while in New Orleans. They are always my first call when making NOLA reservations! I can find nothing bad to say about the place, only good, but then, when you stay there, you will understand! It is outstanding, simply outstanding !

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool or fitness center, but come on, you are in New Orleans for goodness sake...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I can't add much, it really is as good as you read here.

Believe Patrick when he tells you where to eat. Everything from "cheap casual fried fish" to "fancy romantic dinner" - his recommendations were spot on. The one night we didn't ask his advice was the one night we were disappointed. Won't make that mistake again!

A word about location- this is outside of Disneyfied New Orleans, in the actual city. For many of us, that's a plus. If you get scared every time you see a person of color, yeah, you'll want to take a cab. (Which is super easy, and not expensive.) But if you are at all accustomed to urban living, you'll be perfectly comfortable. We really enjoyed walking the neighborhood.

Room Tip: We loved the whirlpool tub in the Creole Queen. Beautiful room.
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We've stayed at a lot of Bed and Breakfasts over the years and this is the best thus far! The house is beautiful and very homey. We stayed in the Mardi Gras room in the Main House, the pictures do not do this room justice, it is a big room! With a very comfortable King Size bed and great linens.

Your hosts Patrick and Karma are the nicest people, always willing to share stories, give advice on where to eat or what to see and share recipes. Believe me you'll want the breakfast recipes, the question is can you recreate them like Patrick! The Sweet Potato Stuffed French toast is excellent and the Bananas Foster Waffles is heaven on a plate!

We choose to walk to the French Quarter and it is walkable in about 20 minutes depending on your pace. New Orleans is flat and we liked walking looking at all the Mardi Gras decorations on the various houses along the way. We always felt safe! You can catch a cab if you like for around $8.00 give or take depending on where you are going.

I would highly recommend this B&B! Every detail is well thought out from the snacks and drinks provided all day to the wonderful decor, this B&B will not disappoint.

1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I haven't stayed in many B&B's, but I can tell you that any in the future will have a lot to live up to after this stay! We stayed two nights at Ashton's before hopping on a cruise out of NOLA. The first thing we loved was the fact that the parking lot is gated! My husband is a car guy, so the thought of leaving our vehicles on the street while on vacation makes him a little nervous!
The B&B itself is sooo charming! We stayed in the Jazz Festival room and it was awesome! The bathroom shower is really something! Be aware that if you stay in this room there isn't much of a sound barrier to the parlor, so if you're a light sleeper or you like to sleep in late you may want to choose a room farther from the main portion of the house. We didn't have a problem sleeping, and as comfortable as the bed is I'm not sure I would've had a problem even if I was a light sleeper! Moving on, the hosts are amazing! They gave us all kinds of information on the house and the area, and let's not forget the breakfasts they prepare! HOLY moley! The best french toast I've ever had! They have everything you could imagine for snacks and drinks, amazing coffee, and yummy hot tea too! We didn't want to leave after eating there! We've already talked about coming back! You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

1  Thank C A
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Ashton's Bed and Breakfast is a fabulous place to stay. Let me go back to our first visit..."14 years ago", our very first visit to New Orleans we stayed at Ashton's it was our first visit to the city as well as the very first time we stayed at a b&b. Karma and Patrick were so hospitable. They gave us dinner suggestions as well as places we could spend our day. The house and food were amazing and the people awesome. Because of that trip so long ago we now rate other b&b's to Ashton's standards. If they dont do it like Patrick and Karma we dont stay!!! Well we came back to New Orleans this weekend and ofcourse stayed at Ashton's. If we thought they were amazing 14 years ago let me tell you'll the are even more amazing today! The beautiful house, the fantastic food and the truely awesome people that run it!!! Wow!! They made our stay a memory we wont forget..... p.s. because of their suggestions on restaurants, and things to do 14 years ago we still visit thise locations today!! We also eat our eggs the way Karma made them so many years ago!!!! A must stay. We will be back soon!!!

• Stayed: February 2014