“nice place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Boston
“nice place to stay”
Reviewed 2 March 2005

My wife and I just finished 5 days at Ashton's and it was very pleasant. Our room, the breakfast and Patrick and Karma's great advice on restaurants and things to do made it a memorable experience. I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2005
1 Thank whale2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Reviewed 2 March 2005

The Ashton's have an elegant B&B that is run with a personal touch!
Guys, take your lady here and score points.

Adam Alban

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 March 2005

We stayed at Ashtons during Mardi Gras and couldn't have stayed anywhere better. Patrick and Karma's houses is fabulous and a nice walk into the French Quarter. Would recommend you stay there without hesitation.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 February 2005

Nice historic home. Crazy bathroom setup. In our room, the bathroom was IN OUR ROOM and separated by a curtain!! Odd to say the least. It was the first time my girlfriend and I traveled together so a more private bath situation would have been beneficial.

Breakfast is great. Pat is a fantastic chef!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Reviewed 2 February 2005

This one of the best places I have stayed in all my travels and I have been in the travel industry for 20 years now. Patrick the inn keeper is absolutly the warmest and most welcoming of hosts ( and a hell of a chef). The breakfasts are creative, opulent and incredibly good. As far as location goes, it is quiet and a 10 minute safe walk from the French Quarter. I cannot wait to return to New Orleans.

3 Thank MariejoLorraine
Reviewed 29 January 2005

My sister and I recently spent a week here for our first-ever "Sisters Getaway" vacation (no husbands, no kids, no worries!). We were totally pampered from the get-go! I found Ashton's through TripAdvisor, and all the rave reviews were right on the money. We stayed in the Hearth room (#5), and while the main house rooms were beautiful, we wouldn't have traded our room for any other. It was quiet, clean, comfortable, convenient, and still like stepping back in time 140 years (well, except for the whirlpool tub, of course!).

For those of you worried about safety -- my sister and I walked to the French Quarter every day and never felt the least bit threatened. It is a somewhat lengthy walk (about a mile/mile and a half), but Esplanade Avenue is a beautiful tree-lined street with lots of interesting architecture to admire along the way. The January weather was also very cooperative, not too hot and not too cold! We did take a cab back to the house at night, but that is common sense in any big city. I thought the neighborhood surrounding the house was very charming.

Be sure to ask Patrick for his breakfast recipes. We were not disappointed in any of our breakfasts, and we sampled 7 of them! Not only is the food absolutely delicious, but Patrick makes a special effort to present the dishes like an expensive restaurant would. Some things I would have sworn never to eat I found myself scarfing down like there was no tomorrow! Another bonus is that the breakfasts are so filling, you can easily skip lunch and eat an early dinner, which is great for your pocketbook.

We also enjoyed the extras the Ashtons provide, like the bowls of candy filled with Hershey's kisses and mints throughout the house (including one in our room), the toiletries in our bath, the games and magazines in the parlor, and the goodies in the dining room 24/7. I know we appreciated being able to take a bottle of water with us each day as we left on our adventures, and I can only imagine how appreciated those bottles of water are when the temperature is in the 90's! If there was anything we wanted or needed, all we had to do is ask and we were immediately accommodated.

Patrick and Karma are very warm, gracious people who have this B&B thing down to a science. I think they should write a book for beginners so those who choose to go into this business will learn from the best! Even their staff is especially warm and friendly -- Hi, Queen! (who treated us like we were her own daughters!). When (not if) we return to the Big Easy, you will most definitely see us again!

Kathleen Fritz

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 January 2005

Well, not only is this a beautifully redecorated mansion, with wonderfully welcoming, intelligent, fun hosts, but b'fast is a sumptuous experience, the beds are comfy and the experience sublime. I will go back as soon as I can and I'll recommend Ashton's to all I know. It's hard to find a great place when there are so many from which to choose. You don't want to waste a trip on a dog of a place. I am not exaggerating!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member