“Disappointed”

Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2013

While the bed was very comfortable, many other things lacked. The closet light did not work; one electrical outlet did not work. There was marks on the walls to make the room appear dirty. The coffee pot in the room was not clean. The rusty shower curtain rod and shower fixtures, as well as masking tape to hold the bathroom floor tile still did not sit well. Breakfast was good, though limited. Good security. House needs scraped and repainted. Nice garden though somewhat wild looking. Overall, poor value for the money we paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Peach1955

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fairchild House 2 years ago for New years eve. We negotiated a great rate..especially considering it was New Years and the SugarBowl was taking place. The room was fair and it was located about a mile for Canal Street. We walked to Canal street with no problem. We were not scared or anything. When we got ready to come home, we took a cab for $7 or $10 partly because we had been drinking and didn't want to get lost and it was dark...The room was nice and clean...the bathroom could have been a tad bit cleaner...I noticed a stray hair or 2 in the shower/tub...I HATE THAT but I used the shower head and rinsed it down the drain....waited a little til I got over it and took shower. I never got a chance to eat breakfast. Staff was friendly and didn't bother us, which is awesome. We had enough towels Other guest were not noisy...we heard a few things here or there but not a whole lot. Overall Good Stay...We are booked again for New Year 2013....see you in a day or 2 Fairchild!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adiah O
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Fairchild House with one of my friends for a scientific conference (6 days). I'll start with the pros:

PRO: Very nice location in the garden district. I felt safe walking around alone during the day and with my friend at night. It's about a 15-20 min walk to the convention center, and I think I speed-walked to the St. Louis Cemetery outside of the French Quarter in 30 min one day when I thought I would be late for a tour. There's a good number of bars and restaurants in the area (esp on St. Charles and Magazine St.).

PRO: Breakfast was pretty good! Not a traditional bed and breakfast where you get all sorts of homemade soufflés and all, but more like a very upgraded hostel (lots of breads [incl. coffee cake, bagels], fruits, yogurt, and cereals, and eggs on the weekend). I thought it was tasty and kept me full until lunchtime, so what more can you ask for really.

PRO: Very economical, and the owner Beatriz was very friendly.

CON: Our room wasn't at all charming, and was kind of dingy, hence the average rating. Here's the thing though: I think we just got a dud room, because all the pictures online look lovely, and all the other reviews on here seem to reflect that. We stayed in a Deluxe room that had 2 double beds. You might notice there's not any pictures of this kind of room on the website, which may be because it's sparsely decorated and has dingy-looking carpet instead of shining wood floors. Our bathroom was private, but the shower tiles were kind of grungy and there were odd blue stains near the bathtub drain. There also wasn't anywhere to sit other than the two beds and the toilet (so no desk or couch/chair). We aren't too picky, so it was fine for us, but it felt a lot more like crashing at someone's apartment rather than staying at a bed and breakfast.

PRO: That said, the beds/pillows were very comfortable, our heater worked (although the dial was broken so it took some finagling), and we never ran out of hot water in the shower.

All in all, I'd say it worked out pretty well for our needs, but I would probably splurge a little more and stay elsewhere if I were visiting NOLA for a romantic weekend or something. Or at least in one of the lovely Fairchild House rooms that are actually pictured on the website ;-)

Room Tip: Don't request a room not pictured on the website.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank rjwally
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Fairchild is a terrific B&B for travelers looking for a spotlessly clean, pleasant, affordable lodging close to downtown, the St. Charles street car and Magazine Street. It is a charming couple of buildings that are fenced and have off street parking and a tasty breakfast included. It's not fancy, and the buildings are vintage and a little worn with use, but nicely furnished and charming. I've stayed three times now and the service and experience has been very consistent. Beatrice, the owner, is a native New Orleanian and has great tips on what to do, which tours to take, where to go, and more. And she's really nice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet; ask for a room with a really good shower...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My group of family and friends took five rooms for an eight night stay. We asked many questions of the owners about where to eat, tour and sites to see, all of the advise was spot on. We learned so much about New Orleans life and history from them as well.
Our younger folks walked the 1.3 miles (About half an hour) to or from the French Quarter several times.
Three of us came back to stay two more nights and share a room a week later (After a cruise) however because of other groups that had arrived and the beds they needed the owners upgraded us to two rooms instead of the one room we reserved for no extra charge...now that's great customer service! They made sure we were comfortable and happy with our rooms. We didn't ask, they offered when we checked in. I hope to visit NOLA again and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Yes it is an 1840s house; charming, old, with a few loose tiles. It is clean and the owner is very accommodating. Beds and linens are good. Each room is very different, so ask exactly what is and is not in your room. The TV is a 13 inch - but who comes to New Orleans to sit in the room and watch TV? The house is one block from the St. Charles street trolley. Great restaurants each direction. If Bourbon St is too "much" for you go to Frenchmen's St for great food and live music (Maison) without the debauchery.

Room Tip: Some have claw foot tub, Some have super small shower. Some have kitchens or fridges,.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in a ‘standard room’ and felt it was perfect for our needs. The room was useful to clean up, change cloths and sleep in. It was clean, quaint and comfortable. The staff/owners were very nice, helpful and accommodating to our needs.
The location was very good for us, one block from the St. Charles street car, near some stores/restaurants/coffee-shops that came in very handy, the neighborhood seemed safe for our late night returns on foot.
We had a great time in NOLA and the Fairchild House was part of that experience, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Most everything in NOLA is old and creaky from humidity and its age, this is the “charm” of these ol...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple