“Nice place, just not for me.”
Review of Hotel St. Helene

Hotel St. Helene
Ranked #119 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
KEY WEST
“Nice place, just not for me.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights in April. I booked a balcony room overlooking Chartres and was given one on the third floor. No elevator and the stairs were crazy but I tried to have fun with it. There wasn't much interaction with staff but when I needed anything, they were very accommodating. My room and bathroom were clean and the bed was super comfy! My concerns were with the lack of normal hotel items in the room. There was no coffee maker (but you could get coffee down 3 flights of stairs), no clock, and no dresser for clothes. I laid some clothes on the one small chair in the room and left the rest in my suitcase for the entire trip. It was a pain!! When my boyfriend joined me for the last two nights, he put his clothes on the floor. Yuk! The hotel website pics show a couch and a dresser in the balcony rooms. I guess they aren't in all the rooms. The location was excellent but the hotel was definitely not worth the price I paid. I go to New Orleans often and won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you get a balcony room, ask for one with a couch or dresser. Hot water takes a while to get to t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was terrible, primarily because of the lack of amenities. It was like staying in a convent. There was no elevator. We were on the third floor and there was no one to help us with our luggage. We had to carry everything up three flights of stairs (we're 67 years old, and thankfully in fairly good shape). There was no bellman and no luggage cart to unload the luggage from our car. We were allotted two towels and one washcloth for two people. After the maid cleaned the room we were down to two towels and NO washcloths. We used both paper cups provided and those were not replaced. The stairwells were painted black and at night there was no lighting to illuminate the stairs. It was like climbing in the dark. There were lights but the light bulbs were burned out.There was no place to put your clothes and no place to put your suitcase. I think there was a hair dryer on the 8 ft high shelf in the closet but I couldn't have reached it if I had to. Breakfast was cold pastries, coffee and juice and we had to ask for The whole experience was a total disaster. I would never stay there again no matter what the price, and it wasn't that cheap. I swear their info on line indicated they had a small restaurant but that was either an illusion or a fabrication. Don't waste your money. Pay a little more and get a decent place. And then they make it next to impossible to write a review.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. We asked for a courtyard room and was told that was what we had reserved. Our r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank naturalsharon

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The St. Helene is conveniently located, and next door to Napoleon House (one of my wife's favorite places to eat in the Quarter). Staff was very friendly. Room is decent sized, with a sitting area that is elevated (and needs a different color strip on the edge where the step down is, it's the same dark brown as the floor), small sink area, adequate toilet/shower area. I had two issues with room - sink handles not tightened, turned around when trying to turn on, and mold on ceiling in bath where there was an existing/or old water leak. I told staff and they seemed genuinely concerned about fixing.
Bed was comfortable, could use a down pillow though!
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Once a year I stay in the French Quarter the last day of the French Quarter Fest. Always wanted to stay at the Hotel St. Helene. The room was super clean, staff excellent and friendly. Great experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juju0324
West Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I liked this hotel! First, The premium parking across the street made it easy to park.
Also it's right in the French quarter so you're right in the festivities!
The hotel it's self is kind of pricy but it's beautiful and has comfy beds. Also it's very clean! I'd recommend it for sure.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Freido90
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We tried this Hotel because we wanted to spend a couple of nights after a cruise. We wanted to be in the quarter since we had flown. The staff was super helpful. The rooms were very clean and spacious. There are no many places you can get this large a room for this price. The pool was a lovely retreat. The Bathrooms are beautiful. Furnishings are modern. We walked everywhere. Super fun...I would definitely stay in this hotel. However, it doesn't have an elevator so be ready for that fact. We were aware of this and it wasn't a problem...But, it could be for someone challenged...Overall wonderful experience....

Room Tip: Street Balcony wonderful view puts you in the action but for some could be noisy...we also had a Del...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The only thing to recommend this hotel is its location in the heart of the French Quarter. Our room was a windowless cell. We noted a hairpin on the floor at check-in, suggesting the room had been haphazardly cleaned. We left it undisturbed and it was still there on check-out. Cleaning was apparently not haphazard but non-existent. A cockroach in the bathroom that first night also indicated a cavalier attitude toward cleanliness. At least that was the only one we saw. The bed was excessively soft and squeeky.

The breakfast buffet was niggardly: coffee, orange juice, bagels, muffins, dry cereal. Beware the more than doubling of the room rate on Friday and Saturday.

There are lots of other hotels in the neighborhood. I recommend trying one of the others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple