“Fabulous”

Ranked #121 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
PHOENIX
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Excellent staff! Clean, beautiful room. Very comfy bed. Great location. Even the shampoo, soap, and body wash smelled great. I will definitely stay here again. Low pressure in shower is the only thing I didn't like. FYI, they put a $150 hold on a card for incidentals. No biggie but it's better to use a credit card for that, not your debit. Great stay. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MONIKA W
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Monika!
Thank you for your recent review! We appreciate your kind words and look forward to your return.
At your service,
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Not a bad place to stay for my first time in NOLA: comfortable room, amenable staff, nice little pool, and a decent free breakfast. We were on the top floor with a balcony facing Chartres Street, which was nice for the views and the extra space, but allowed for quite a bit of noise from the street and other hotel guests with balconies. The location was great: in the heart of the Quarter and within easy walking distance to many great restaurants, bars, historical sites, and the river. In fact, right next door is the Napoleon House, one of the best places we visited for food and drink. Couple of quirky things: first, there was a strong paint smell in our room for the first couple of days. Turns out that they had parts of our room painted the morning we checked in, which was not the best timing. To their credit, they offered to change our room if the paint smell didn't go away. Second, we booked directly on the hotel site with another couple a few months before our stay. Our reservation was fine, but our friends' had been canceled due to overbooking by a third party. The hotel was nice enough to re-book our friends at a nearby sister property (which was better than the St. Helene), but that defeated the purpose of our booking early so we could stay together. In any event, you may want to consider reconfirming your reservation before arriving to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, avoid the street-facing rooms. Charters Street has heavy foot and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
beaugosse12!
Our team fully apologizes for any issues that may have occurred during the third party booking. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you and your friends again.
At your service,
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Collection
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I travel to New Orleans quite often & usually stay at "chain" hotels. Since New Orleans feels like "home" I wanted to stay in a hotel with a "homey" feel. St. Helene definitely has that - sort of like staying at a relatives home who has good intentions, but not a lot of follow through. It was a relaxed & laid back atmosphere, almost like a B & B but with more privacy. I came to NOLA in late March for the Tennessee Williams festival (& my birthday). When I arrived to my balcony room on the second floor, I was thrilled. As you can see, it's a lovely room with a great view of the courtyard pool. As if on cue, when I stepped out on the balcony, a jazz band performing at a wedding next door started playing - all very charming & very New Orleans. The staff was very pleasant & welcoming. But, upon arrival, I was charged a $150 fee that I assumed was a security deposit. I left my room in pristine condition, but the charge (as far as I can tell) has yet to be refunded (despite phone calls to the hotel). There is a continental breakfast of pre-packaged patries, cereal, yogurt & fruit & coffee is available all day - but why settle for this when Cafe Du Monde is just blocks away. The location was perfect, within sight of Jackson Square. Now for the not-so-great...air conditioner was "iffy" - it never worked properly - luckily a cool front was moving through so I was able to leave the balcony door open at night to cool off. Housekeeping mangled my phone charger with the vacuum & tried to cover it up by leaving a different charger that didn't fit my phone. When pressed, they finally fessed up to what had happened. When I told the front desk, nothing was done (not even a discount of a few $ to cover the charge of a replacement). If you are a very laid back, go with the flow kind of person, this hotel is okay - it IS very charming (just check your bill closely). If you are used to basic hotel amenities found in a 'chain" hotel - this is not the place for you. I enjoyed my stay, but think I will stay elsewhere on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We selected Hotel St. Helene for a four night stay and birthday celebration in NOLA because of location and moderate price range. The small suite was newly renovated with a courtyard terrace, exactly what was requested. After the first night of disrupted sleep, we asked for another room with a better mattress. The second main floor suite also had a cheaply designed, uncomfortable mattress. We stayed the required second night, but moved to a nearby hotel for the last two nights. Comparing the two hotel experiences, St. Helene is overpriced, with squeaky clean, uncomfortable mattresses.

Room Tip: Request a mattress check
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamita52

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 4 July 2014

we stayed in hotel st. helene for 2 nights. to give credit first, the room was ok...acceptable. the bed, however, was the cheapest metal mattress i've had the misfortune to experience since college days...nights. when offered another room, the mattresses was the same - metal frame with only a thin padding on the top, none on the sides. from the creaking, obviously none on the springs. the rate paid did not match the cheap mattress experienced.

what is the number one feature of a hotel? i suggest it is to sleep comfortably. for this reason, hotel st helene failed. shame on a hotel for ignoring such a basic requirement.

Room Tip: don't let them tell you that no one has ever complained about their mattresses - simply not poss...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank playacitizen
Belle Chasse, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel in August 2013 for a "staycation", as we are from the New Orleans area. This hotel is a boutique hotel located in the perfect spot to get anywhere quick in the Quarter. Very clean, but the rooms are small. I suggest paying a little extra for the room with the sitting area. That makes a huge difference. The only reason I gave it a "very good" instead of an "excellent" rating is they do not have an elevator. We were on the 3rd floor, which 2 flights of stairs were not bad, but not fun either - especially when I was dressed up and had high heels on. However, a 2nd floor room would be ideal. I'm sure they have an elevator for handicap usage only, but not 100% sure about that. Handicap rooms may be on the 1st floor only. I must say for the price and for the location, you won't get better than this in NOLA. Would stay here again and again, and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Second floor - don't get third floor, as they don't have elevators, and get the room with th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vero Beach, FL
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We loved the location, front desk staff, but the poor housekeeping will cause us not to stay here again.

Our room was not made up during our 3 day stay...UNACCEPTABLE!

We even asked to have our room cleaned...and were told we were next...an hour and a half later nothing had been done.

Stay elsewhere!