“Wonderful little boutique hotel with lots of character!”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #83 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I absolutely loved out stay at the Hotel Royal -- it is a wonderfully redone boutique hotel in an 1870 Creole townhouse. The rooms are redone with more contemporary decor, but the hotel has retained the wonderful French Quarter charm we came to enjoy, from the inner courtyard with fountain, to the individualized and unique rooms, to the exposed brick, and inner staircases to get to your rooms. If you are looking for cookie cutter, ultra sleek, typical "american" hotels, this is not for you. The age of the building is what makes it wonderful, but it also means some of the rooms are small, some oddly shaped, there is some noise when others are in the courtyard, and you have to walk steps (up some AND down some) to get to the rooms. Those are all things I loved about the place and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Our room was on the third floor facing the courtyard. It was a deluxe room (one step up from "petite"), and it was nicely sized, with lots of windows and a big double door facing the courtyard with large inner shutters. Queen size bed, lots of pillows ( a lot of hotels skimp on those), big fluffy comforter, dark wood floors, a nice sized closet, and refrigerator and counter area outside the closet, and a nicely done bathroom. Downsides were the lack of shelves or counter space in the bathroom (which did have a very TINY pedestal sink), but that didn't bother us much as we used the counter over the fridge to store the extra toiletries, makeup, etc. I would suggest a small wire shelf next to the sink as that would help a lot with little things like toothbrushes and toothpaste, just because the sink was so small. The shower itself was beautiful, but pretty small. It was quite useable, although if you are a very large person you may not have found it comfortable. The angle of the showerhead and the opening of the shower door made it a tight fit, but the water pressure and hot water were wonderful.

The AC in our room was a little challenged - if it was set below 71 degrees it would freeze up and have to be turned off for a couple hours to reset (we had to do that twice, but just turned it off while we went to dinner and then it was fine when we returned). The AC unit in that room particularly has to work pretty hard to accommodate the sun on the room most of the day, but the staff was pretty helpful in that respect, and made it clear that they were trying to deal with that issue, which was a known issue. It didn't bother me so much - I don't like a lot of AC, but my husband was a little perturbed, especially the first day when he was a tad tired and not amused by the heat.

We never really ate the breakfast offered, but got coffee the one morning, as we were usually up and out and about pretty early, and would eat out at one of the great restaurants nearby.

I was a little concerned at first reading some of these reviews, but realized that most of the negative ones were either BEFORE the hotel was under new management and redone or were done by folks that clearly seem to want a typical "american", cookie cutter hotel, which is NOT what I wanted at all. I absolutely adored this hotel, and I cannot say enough about the fabulous location in the French Quarter -- 2 blocks to the Market, 1 block to Bourbon Street, only a few blocks to Frenchmen Street (and all of its fabulous music), 2 blocks to Jackson Square. I couldn't ask for a better place to stay - off the crazy main drags enough to allow you some time to relax and get away, but close enough that you are truly still right in the action.

The hotel staff was quite helpful. They carried our bags up to our room, gave us a map they marked with wonderful suggestions for restaurants, and had the cab all set up for our early morning departure, and even came up to make sure we were up in time that morning.

Well done, Hotel Royal, I would love to come back! I do wish I could have a tour of ALL of the rooms - they each seemed to be so individualized and unique.

Room Tip: Higher floors (at least those rooms facing east and south) are a little more AC challenged and do ge...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tinyelfinfriend
General M, General Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Tinyelfinfriend!
Great detail! Thank you for your amazing feedback. I sincerely apologize that you had issues with your air conditioning throughout your first night. Please note that our company is working diligently to find the best solution to prevent any future issues for guests. We have gone as far as to work alongside engineers to see how efficiently we can offer the most comfortable surroundings for our most valued guests. We love it when our guests’ needs are met, and exceeded. It looks like we have done our job! Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to your next stay at Hotel Royal.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We arrived at the Hotel Royal for a three day stay in our favorite city, New Orleans. We were greeted by a pleasant staff - from the Front Desk girl to the lovely young man that helped us with our bags.
We are very familiar with the city and have stayed at many hotels there but this one was our favorite. The location is fab as we love the quieter end of Bourbon Street which was just a block away. Our room was the "petit" room and next time we will pay a little extra and get a larger room. That said, our room was immaculate and it is very obvious that it underwent a complete renovation recently, We love the old Boutique style hotels but we also like modern, up to date "everything" in the room and this did not disappoint.
We had a wonderful stay and cannot wait to go back and stay at the Hotel Royal again.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get an upgraded room overlooking the lovely quiet courtyard !
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

MargieAndSam!
What a great review! We are thrilled to have shown you two a great time within the walls of Hotel Royal. You are correct – our petite rooms do run on the small side, but no detail has gone unnoticed by you. We appreciate the kind review, and look forward to your speedy return.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. This 200 year old Creole townhouse, newly restored and refurbished, is in one of the most desirable locations in the Quarter, lovely Royal Street, with its proliferation of art galleries and delightful specialty shops. But because it is an old building, it naturally suffers from a variety of internal noises. During day and night, I heard bathtubs running, people going up and down stairs, electrical rumblings, and guests closing their doors, which are impossible to close quietly.

If this would not be an issue for you, then the Hotel Royal has much going for it, in addition to location. Eric is the star of the place. His genuine helpful and friendly demeanor provides for an immediately positive first impression and a warm welcome. He'll spring into action to give advice, assist with transportation, and schlep your heavy suitcases up 3 flights of stairs.

I was in Room 14 on the 3rd floor, one of the deluxe rooms (2nd category up from the bottom which is "petite"). See photos of this lovely room, with old polished dark wood floors, very comfortable queen bed and bedding (with 6 pillows), full length ottoman at the foot of the bed to match the padded headboard, jacuzzi tub, bright, sparkling bathroom, brick walls, and small consort on which sat 2 small bottles of water and two little packets of pralines - a nice touch. Due to its location facing into the courtyard, it was quiet enough from external noises.

Another plus is the convenient bike rental place two steps away on the corner.

Not so good was the lack of space to store clothes (unless you pack very light, you will have to live at least partly out of your suitcase or use the ottoman to store your clothes) and due to the pedestal sink (elegant but not useful) a similar lack of space in the bathroom to put toiletries. I ended up hanging my straightening iron on the plumbing fixtures under the pedestal sink, and flipping over the trash bin to use the flat bottom as extra bathroom storage. Room 14 has shuttered windows, but these are behind the bed so the view into the courtyard was inaccessible. Minor items - no bathrobes or slippers, however, there is an in-room iron and board and a safe. Overall, a very charming room if you can make do with little storage space.

I also peeked into Room 15 - same floor, and I believe it would be the petite room category. It is far less spacious. I looked into room 11 - unfortunately didn't get a good look, but from what I saw, it was very spacious with a lovely view, if not a balcony. I would stay in Rm 11 if I could afford it.

The lobby is not a particularly inviting area and the breakfast is served in a dimly lit little ante room. Hours are 7 - 10 am. The fare is decent for its billing of "continental", with some cereals (all sugared), apples and oranges (no bananas), juice, bulk granola and yogurt, muffins and croissants, and tea/coffee. The coffee is good. The downside with their breakfast offering is not the food itself, but the lack of a nice room or space to eat it and plastic utensils and cutlery, which give the impression of doing it on the cheap. While the plastic could easily be replaced, a pleasant place to eat, less so. I planned to take it to the inner courtyard, but the staff was hosing it down and ground and furniture were completely wet. I did not feel like taking it to my room 3 flights up - there were no trays in any event - so sat in the open lobby eating it as quickly as I could. An easy solution is to avoid hosing down the courtyard until after breakfast hours.

I have mixed feelings about the Royal - the noise and lack of storage space make it far less than ideal, but its location is excellent and its charm very appealing. And Eric is a warm and personal welcome. This may be as good as it gets in the Quarter in terms of value for money, For the price, however - $352 plus $10 mandatory resort fee all in (I think a premium is charged during Jazz Fest) - I would look for something more suitable.

Room Tip: The "petite" category of room is very small. "Deluxe" is just manageable size...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Ingle

Ingle!
Thank you for your detailed review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in MainHouse 14. Each of our rooms are tailored to offer as much living space as possible, and we do understand the need for more bathroom and storage space for clothing. It is with these needs in mind that we continue to work on the best possible outcome for our guests. Please know that we are always looking to improve, and your review has given us great opportunity. Thank you again for the details. Your praise of Eric has been shared and is a feeling we all have for such a super-star member of our staff!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

4 couples went to celebrate my husbands 40 th bday. We drove all night (12 hrs) and arrived at 9 am staff cleaned one of the 4 rooms we booked and let us freshen up and put our things in the room. It was an absolutely awesome place: original New Orleans feel, clean very nice rooms, beautiful courtyard, great location, helpful staff. We did get parking at hotel but we arrived before check in time otherwise may have to park at the parking down the street. Will be staying there from now on.

• Stayed: May 2013
General M, General Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Smallen1007!
What a great feeling that our team was able to assist in creating the best possible Birthday Celebration for your husband. Congrats to him on the big 4-0! We agree 100% with your review. Our team works daily to ensure all guests are met with a personalized service that meets each individual need. In this instance, your early arrival was an easy solution! We look forward to your return. Thank you again for your tremendous review of our beautifully restored Creole-Townhome.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Courteous staff checked us right in and took us to our room. Room was small, but super clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was super helpful from where to park to where to eat. They even refrigerated a bottle of champagne we had bought. Perfect spot to move around the French Quarter with ease. Rooftop balcony had tables/chairs which was nice to sit in the morning and have coffee. Would definitely stay here again. Staff, again, was super nice...don't think I can say that enough! Our room was upstairs, so I'd ask for a ground floor room if you've an elderly person or have trouble with stairs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer B
General M, General Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Jennifer B!
We are so glad to read the enjoyment of your recent stay, at Hotel Royal. Our team takes great pride in the unmatched level of service we provide. Each member of our team enjoys building a personalized stay for each of our valued guests. We look forward to your return. Keep in mind that we do have multiple rooms that are larger, and would love the opportunity to house you in one of our Royal Balcony Suites.
Kenny Marrs – General Manger – French Quarter Hotel Group

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Booked the room a day before heading down for a wedding. Upon arrival the front desk concierge was very pleasant and helpful. Even though I only had one choice in room. The room was great, even if it was a workout to get to. Spacious and great charm. Wished the a/c went a little lower but it's a personal preference.

Great location. Far enough away from the hectic Bourbon street antics but close enough to walk back after a night of good times.

Can't wait to travel back again. Will rebook at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
General M, General Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Lonely_Traveler_44!
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, at Hotel Royal. We are thrilled to know that you found the charm of our Creole Townhome to be to your liking. Our team looks forward to your return!

Reviewed 25 June 2013

The rooms are small but comfortable. I spent most of my time out and about. The location was perfect for this. The front desk and support staff were very, very helpful. They were also friendly and you could tell them love their job.

I rarely had breakfast there as I prefer to eat out. Given the price range for this great a location (close to everything in the quarter, but far enough away that you did not hear the noise on Bourbon street), I feel the small breakfast choices and small rooms are a small price to pay.

The stairs (there are no elevators) may be hard to negotiate when you come back very drunk but I did not have this issue.

I will recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Nancy J
General M, General Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Nancy J!
What a review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. It was our pleasure to extend to you our view on true hospitality. To address your concern over the size of the rooms, we do offer 5 room types at Hotel Royal. Our Petite being our coziest (approx. 225 sq ft) all the way to our oversized Royal Balcony Suites (approx. 650 sq ft with over 600 sq ft of balcony space). Our goal is to allow travelers to experience our great city at whatever price point they are comfortable. We look forward to your return!