“Great Place and Great Location”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #90 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Since I was going to NOLA for an occassion I spent the extra money for a Royal Balcony Suite. It was worth every penny. Not only was the suite huge, the bathroom was so generous and the balcony made the trip. I loved drinking coffee in the morning on the balcony and seeing the tours pass by. The bed was so comfy with every pillow you could want. This building is old and has its own character, if you hate stairs then choose a different hotel. Part of the charm of this hotel is year it reflects. The staff were helpful and honest. Upon our departure we called the front desk to arrange a car to the airport. The bellman loaded our bags up when I was in the ladies room and when I came out my boyfriend went into the mens room. I tried to tip the bellman but he was honest and said my boyfriend had already tipped him. For his honesty I insisted that he accept my tip! How is that for staff, some of the best around!

Room Tip: The Royal Balcony Suite is worth every penny!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradley L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Gypsy617,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your October stay with us, at Hotel Royal. A stay in one of our Royal Balcony Suites is truly a one-of-a-kind experience! We are thrilled you were able to enjoy the balcony as well as the unique character of our French Quarter property. We pride ourselves on our service, and we are thrilled you were impressed by this. Thank you again and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Big Easy!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel is tucked away in the art district area. Only a 2-5 minute walk to the French market, Cathedral , Bourbon and some of the best restaurants of Nola. The hotel is a boutique hotel with simple an classic design. Very clean and comfortable with excellent guest service. It is tucked away and private when you need to escape from the "party" that is New Orleans. Everyone was awesome and helpful -especially Donald and Dazz . Don't miss out on this experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear RayDunkin35,
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent visit to New Orleans. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our spectacular tucked away yet convenient location! Donald and Dazz are great examples of the top notch service we provide for our guests, so I am glad they helped make your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

What a great hotel in a great location... Its 2-3 mins from the hustle of Bourbon street but I promise you, you cant hear a thing... Even in the street its silent. That goes for the french quarter all over. But the reason for my recommendation is the building, really private, comfortable and very clean. We were tucked away up old crooked stairs and corridors. My only issue, is that whilst we stopped, there was a motor hum coming from somewhere nearby. It sounded like a neighbouring rooms aircon was on 24/7, we and other residents asked the staff and they said they were aware and had reported it. I have to mention it, but i hope by the time you go, it will be sorted. Check my pictures of the courtyard.... Fantastic place.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Floppydonkey,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit with us at the Hotel Royal. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our historic property and our convenient, yet tucked away location. Please allow me to apologize about the noise issue you experienced. I assure you that we were made aware of the issue and it has been remedied . Thank you also for sharing your gorgeous pics from our courtyard! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Royal during your next trip to the Big Easy!

Regards.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a great stay here at the Hotel Royal. The staff at the hotel were all incredibly friendly. The bellman were very helpful, friendly and all seemed to have great personalities. Check in at the front desk might have a wait, as there is only one person to check you in. So if there is a line, they have a nice comfortable lobby for you to park yourself and wait.

Our room was a royal suite and it was gorgeous. We had a massive balcony overlooking Royal Street that we shared with one other room. If you are going with another couple, it would be great to rent those two rooms together and have the balcony to yourselves. Our room had exposed brick, a huge bed, gorgeous bathroom and was very clean. I was surprised that there was no dresser in the bedroom, as it was large enough to accommodate one. The closet was good but for two of us, it would have been great if there was a dresser. Also, the mattress on the bed was a little flimsy. When one of us would lie down on the bed, the other side of the mattress would tilt up so that one of us always kind of slid down toward the middle.

The bathroom was marble and has a toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom. Nice jetted tub. Lots of water ends up splashing out onto the floor when you shower because they only have a half glass wall. So be careful you don't slip!

This was a great location and while there was a little bit of noise at night, it was a fantastic place to stay. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning and there is a very pretty courtyard you can eat in if you like. Very convenient to walk to the French Market, Bourbon Street and anywhere else you may want to go. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends/family.

Room Tip: Royal Suite was fantastic

Dear Kolican,
Wow! What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your recent experience with us at the Hotel Royal! I am thrilled you enjoyed your Royal Balcony Suite overlooking the historic Royal Street. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to New Orleans!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Some people have complained. First, realize it was built in 1833 so many layers of paint and shouldn't be compared with 'modern' hotels. Staff was excellent. I was provided parking for $25/24 hours. I like old and rustic but that's just me. I've often told people, 'my favorite vacations would probably be your worst nightmares'. I don't always want slick and glossy every time I travel...just sometimes and this wasn't one. It's very close to Bourbon St. If you want to see the definition of 'Dump', go to Bourbon St.in fact New Orleans is basically a dump. But I like travel in 3rd world countries and living out of a backpack. I unexpectedly loved the French Quarter... an Orlando Disney World version of the 3rd world! I toured Bourbon Street with a GoPro video camera until 5am in the morning and was so easy to get back to Hotel. If you don't like some of the comments about the Hotel Royal, maybe you should just skip this city entirely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Rob D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay with us at the Hotel Royal. I am thrilled that you were impressed by our staff’s excellent guest service. I am also glad that you enjoyed our hotel’s rich history dating back to the 1800’s when our property was a Creole townhome. Thank you again for your review, and next time your adventures bring you to New Orleans, we hope you stay with us again.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed staying at Hotel Royal during our first stay in New Orleans in the French Quarter. The location of the hotel was excellent, close to everything, but not too close to Bourbon whose hotels we've heard can have a lot of street noise. It's a historic building with loads of historic charm. It has been renovated and was well-done with a great aesthetic and decor. That being said, most old buildings have their share of issues, which we ran into, but it wasn't enough to make us unhappy with our choice. We took a large room with a king size bed, #10. Beautiful room. However, it was a LOT of stairs to get there. The AC had a hard time keeping up during the day (but, it was so humid outside, so it's understandable). It was also noisy, but not unbearable. The shower would put off a strange smell occasionally. The breakfast was light fare, but will get you going, included with the price of your room. I would suggest that they add some Nutella to go with the croissants (yummy and reminds me of Europe). The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The cleaning staff refreshed our room daily and kept it sparkling clean. The bed was VERY comfortable, and had a variety of pillows (softness) so it was easy to sleep. We would most definitely stay here again, even with the issues. We loved the charm, the location, and the price was reasonable too. We booked through Expedia and it was easy and a good price.

Room Tip: #10 was a large room but had LOTS of stairs and was at the top and the AC had a hard time keeping up...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradley B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Candj83,
I am pleased to hear that you and your husband had such a pleasant stay with us at Hotel Royal! I am thrilled that you found our Creole Townhome charming and to your liking. I apologize that you had some minor issues during your stay, but am glad that did not negatively impact your stay. Rest assured that the issues you experienced have been brought to our maintenance team’s attention and have been fixed. Our team takes great pride in the unmatched level of service we provide to all guests. Thank you again for the kind review, and we look forward to your speedy return!
French Quarter Hotel Group

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had a special on the deluxe room, but I think we got a petite after reading several reviews. Our room was #9 on the second floor. It was clean, and the staff is EXTREMELY nice. One guy even moved his car in the parking spot lot they had so I didn't have to use another, more expensive lot. Now the issues: our air conditioner vent rattled endlessly, to the point where I woke up several times (I am NOT a light sleeper), it also never cooled past 72 degrees; our toilet leaked and ran constantly, where my husband actually had to remove the tank lid to fix it, and actually turned the water valve off, so it wouldn't run all night; there are monster, 3-inch roaches coming through the outdoor door cracks (I placed towels at the door to keep them out); and there's mosquito issues where you are slapping them constantly, and waking up with bites. I am not a picky traveler, but I think these things need to be pointed out for maintenance to fix for the next patrons. I haven't said anything, but may when we check out tomorrow.

Dear Darkripple,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Royal. Each of our 43 rooms is unique in style as well as layout. I apologize that you felt you were in the incorrect room type. The room that you stayed in, #9, is in our Deluxe category. The average size of our Deluxe rooms is 270 square feet as opposed to our Petite rooms averaging 160 square feet. We also over four other varying room types that range from 350-780 square feet. Our housekeeping team works tirelessly to ensure that all rooms are cleaned to our guests’ expectations, and I am glad that you enjoyed our luxurious accommodations. I was also thrilled to see that you were wowed by our friendly staff’s commitment to providing top notch service to all of our guests! Our maintenance team has been made aware of the issues you experienced during your stay with us to ensure that they are properly fixed for you and all future guests. I sincerely apologize that you experienced these issues while staying with us. Again, thank you for your feedback and we sincerely hope you will give Hotel Royal another chance to show you the excellent attention that many of our valued guests have shared in.
French Quarter Hotel Group