“Best place we've ever stayed in New Orleans”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #89 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 18 October 2013

After coming to this city a few times on other occasions, we made the decision to finally stay in the French Quarter. Loved, loved, loved the location. One block over from Bourbon Street and convenient to all the popular attractions in this city. Parking situation was not great....but they did give us a parking pass to park behind the hotel in a quiet little lot tucked in between several buildings (a little pricey......but at least we got to have a parking spot). We can't say enough good things about the staff. They were all so incredibly friendly and helpful. Our room was a quaint room facing the lovely and quiet courtyard. The door handles were only about 2 feet off the ground.....but the hurricane shutters and the old doors only gave the place more charm. Would defintely stay here the next time we are in the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradley L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear LuvsTOOtravel,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at Hotel Royal. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time at our charming historic property and were wowed by our dedicated staff! We hope you will come back and see us if your travels bring you back to New Orleans.
Many Thanks,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Perfect location, in the middle of the French quarters. Parking places are limited but there is a public parking (French market) minutes away).
Super nice and helpful staff. Our room was tiny but adorable, elegantly furnished, We had cable TV, a super-clean bathroom and big windows letting the bright sun in.
Our room was very conveniently located next to the roof (smoking area) so we enjoyed a great view of the street and typical New Orleans architecture.
The breakfast was average and no-fuss, but we enjoyed eating it outside, next to the fountain in the interior court area.
Altogether, we could not have picked a better place to stay, in the heart of New Orleans.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Moufly,
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Royal! Breakfast in our courtyard is a guest favorite and we are glad you were able to enjoy a peaceful start to your day. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Since I was going to NOLA for an occassion I spent the extra money for a Royal Balcony Suite. It was worth every penny. Not only was the suite huge, the bathroom was so generous and the balcony made the trip. I loved drinking coffee in the morning on the balcony and seeing the tours pass by. The bed was so comfy with every pillow you could want. This building is old and has its own character, if you hate stairs then choose a different hotel. Part of the charm of this hotel is year it reflects. The staff were helpful and honest. Upon our departure we called the front desk to arrange a car to the airport. The bellman loaded our bags up when I was in the ladies room and when I came out my boyfriend went into the mens room. I tried to tip the bellman but he was honest and said my boyfriend had already tipped him. For his honesty I insisted that he accept my tip! How is that for staff, some of the best around!

Room Tip: The Royal Balcony Suite is worth every penny!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gypsy617,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your October stay with us, at Hotel Royal. A stay in one of our Royal Balcony Suites is truly a one-of-a-kind experience! We are thrilled you were able to enjoy the balcony as well as the unique character of our French Quarter property. We pride ourselves on our service, and we are thrilled you were impressed by this. Thank you again and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Big Easy!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel is tucked away in the art district area. Only a 2-5 minute walk to the French market, Cathedral , Bourbon and some of the best restaurants of Nola. The hotel is a boutique hotel with simple an classic design. Very clean and comfortable with excellent guest service. It is tucked away and private when you need to escape from the "party" that is New Orleans. Everyone was awesome and helpful -especially Donald and Dazz . Don't miss out on this experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear RayDunkin35,
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent visit to New Orleans. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our spectacular tucked away yet convenient location! Donald and Dazz are great examples of the top notch service we provide for our guests, so I am glad they helped make your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

What a great hotel in a great location... Its 2-3 mins from the hustle of Bourbon street but I promise you, you cant hear a thing... Even in the street its silent. That goes for the french quarter all over. But the reason for my recommendation is the building, really private, comfortable and very clean. We were tucked away up old crooked stairs and corridors. My only issue, is that whilst we stopped, there was a motor hum coming from somewhere nearby. It sounded like a neighbouring rooms aircon was on 24/7, we and other residents asked the staff and they said they were aware and had reported it. I have to mention it, but i hope by the time you go, it will be sorted. Check my pictures of the courtyard.... Fantastic place.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Floppydonkey,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit with us at the Hotel Royal. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our historic property and our convenient, yet tucked away location. Please allow me to apologize about the noise issue you experienced. I assure you that we were made aware of the issue and it has been remedied . Thank you also for sharing your gorgeous pics from our courtyard! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Royal during your next trip to the Big Easy!

Regards.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a great stay here at the Hotel Royal. The staff at the hotel were all incredibly friendly. The bellman were very helpful, friendly and all seemed to have great personalities. Check in at the front desk might have a wait, as there is only one person to check you in. So if there is a line, they have a nice comfortable lobby for you to park yourself and wait.

Our room was a royal suite and it was gorgeous. We had a massive balcony overlooking Royal Street that we shared with one other room. If you are going with another couple, it would be great to rent those two rooms together and have the balcony to yourselves. Our room had exposed brick, a huge bed, gorgeous bathroom and was very clean. I was surprised that there was no dresser in the bedroom, as it was large enough to accommodate one. The closet was good but for two of us, it would have been great if there was a dresser. Also, the mattress on the bed was a little flimsy. When one of us would lie down on the bed, the other side of the mattress would tilt up so that one of us always kind of slid down toward the middle.

The bathroom was marble and has a toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom. Nice jetted tub. Lots of water ends up splashing out onto the floor when you shower because they only have a half glass wall. So be careful you don't slip!

This was a great location and while there was a little bit of noise at night, it was a fantastic place to stay. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning and there is a very pretty courtyard you can eat in if you like. Very convenient to walk to the French Market, Bourbon Street and anywhere else you may want to go. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends/family.

Room Tip: Royal Suite was fantastic
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kolican,
Wow! What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your recent experience with us at the Hotel Royal! I am thrilled you enjoyed your Royal Balcony Suite overlooking the historic Royal Street. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to New Orleans!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Some people have complained. First, realize it was built in 1833 so many layers of paint and shouldn't be compared with 'modern' hotels. Staff was excellent. I was provided parking for $25/24 hours. I like old and rustic but that's just me. I've often told people, 'my favorite vacations would probably be your worst nightmares'. I don't always want slick and glossy every time I travel...just sometimes and this wasn't one. It's very close to Bourbon St. If you want to see the definition of 'Dump', go to Bourbon St.in fact New Orleans is basically a dump. But I like travel in 3rd world countries and living out of a backpack. I unexpectedly loved the French Quarter... an Orlando Disney World version of the 3rd world! I toured Bourbon Street with a GoPro video camera until 5am in the morning and was so easy to get back to Hotel. If you don't like some of the comments about the Hotel Royal, maybe you should just skip this city entirely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Rob D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay with us at the Hotel Royal. I am thrilled that you were impressed by our staff’s excellent guest service. I am also glad that you enjoyed our hotel’s rich history dating back to the 1800’s when our property was a Creole townhome. Thank you again for your review, and next time your adventures bring you to New Orleans, we hope you stay with us again.
Front Office Manager