“don't believe everything you read...”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #99 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“don't believe everything you read...”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just checked in.we were escorted to our room by a bell person, during the walk up he pointed out the ice machine that didn't work. When we got to the room he pointed out where the water would be if they were not out (I guess it was drinking water). There is no bar/lounge as indicated on the hotel overview. We parked in their "Parking Area" which consisted of maybe 6 parking spots behind the hotel which we had to walk around the block with the only access being off the street behind a pub and costs $26 a day. We booked for 4 days but honestly I think I'd rather be home and used the +$750 to go out there..

Room Tip: Don't go by what you read on the internet. Call the actual location and get the REAL story
4 Thank 37ATLnative

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Considering the prices for accomodation in New Orleans, this place is great!

Location is great, in the heart of the French Quarter.

Rooms are very clean. The building has been nicely restored and I liked the combination of new design and old brick walls. Breakfast offers nice things like fresh croissants, granola and yogurt.

Staff is great! Both the guy that welcomed us when we arrived (Andrew, maybe? I'm terrible with names, sorry) and the young woman that works in the morning have always been extremely friendly, polite and professional. They really make the difference!

On the "negative" side ... Rooms are a little bit small and it would be useful to add some shelves or hooks on the walls to hang clothes.
The hotel doesn't have a parking and you have to park in a public one. I suggest the one on Chartres Street, it's 20$ a day.

2 Thank seremariposa
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This Hotel Location is great. 1 Block from Bourbon St, 2 Blocks from Jackson Sq. Staff was infomative as we as very pleasant. My room was in the courtyard, it was small but served the purpose. Who stays in the Hotel in New Orleans, anyway !!! If you want a larger room than you can get the Luxury Balcony Suite. My Opinion this is a waste of $$$ as you will never be in your room, except to sleep. Very clean rooms as well a comfortable bed with down comforters. The courtyard has a water fountain and table and chairs to sip your coffee or have a bottle of wine. Royal St. has lots and lost of Art stores as wll as peddlers painting on the street. Lastly you will not get any noise like those hotels on Bourbon St. till 5 am.

Room Tip: I stayed on the bottom floor of the courtyard room #18. Quiet for January, but may be louder during...
Madison
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just returned from a five day stay at the Hotel Royal. I think what most of the other reviews here say is pretty accurate; if you are interested in a cookie cutter hotel that is full of amenities, this definitely won't be for you. But if you want to experience the French Quarter in an historic boutique hotel, I think it would be hard to find something better than the HR, especially in this price range.

The building definitely has some quirks. We were on the third floor and the water pressure wasn't great (in fact, it cut out completely a couple of our times on our last morning, but since we were showering right before check out I imagine that it was a peak time in terms of water use). The walls are definitely thin and, depending on how your room is configured and how noisy your neighbors are, I guess that could be an issue. When we were in our bathroom, we could hear conversations in the adjoining room, but nothing that prevented us from sleeping or enjoying our space when we were in the room. Both of these issues were minor and were well worth it to stay in such a beautiful, historic hotel.

The staff was amazing, especially Donald, one of the bell men. He carried our bags up to our room, gave us a great recommendation for dinner, and arranged for us to get a cab to the airport when we left. We chatted for a bit while we were waiting for the cab and it's really clear that he takes a great deal of personal pride in making sure that people enjoy their stay.

The location is perfect. This was my first trip to New Orleans and I guess I thought that the whole French Quarter would be basically the same. There's a big difference, though, between the part down by Canal Street, which has a chaotic feel (almost like Times Square) and the part where the Hotel Royal is located, which is much more quiet and surrounded by galleries. Everything we wanted to do was easily within walking distance but our block had a quiet, neighborhood feel.

I don't usually like going to the same place twice when I travel but if I go to New Orleans I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17, which is a converted attic with dormer ceilings. It was worth dealing with th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank madcitygirl
General M, General Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
madcitygirl!
I would like to first thank you for your wonderful review of our 1846 Creole Townhouse. You are right, this property does have its quirks, but I would like to let you know that because of you taking the time to review your stay we have upgraded our pressure water system to allow for a steady shower experience for all of our valued guests. I share this with you with the hope that you will continue to review all hotels the way you have reviewed our beautiful Hotel Royal. Your feedback has been uplifting while extremely helpful, and thorough!
I do hope you enjoyed the 180 degree view from your room including the Crescent City Connection as it is lit up each night (17 is one of my favorie Deluxe Rooms).The roof top view really pulls you into a feeling of old world – that is until you slip into your brand new Queen-Sized Serta mattress! Myself and Donald look forward to your return.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had a wonderful and relaxing weekend at Hotel Royal. It is centrally located to allow for walking to most spots you will want to visit in the Quarter. When booking the room, I spoke with the general manager, who suggested that I reserve a Luxury Balcony Suite overlooking Royal Street. It was very spacious and the balcony was perfect for relaxing and viewing the rustle and bustle of people and the horse drawn carriages. The entire staff was pleasant and eager to assist in making our stay perfect. I will definitely stay with Hotel Royal again!

Room Tip: Talk with the staff when making the reservation. If they understand your expectations, they will gu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kdebraz
kdebraz!
It was a pleasure to be able to find you the right accommodations for your visit to the Crescent City. The views from anyone of our Royal facing Royal Balcony Suites are unmatched in the French Quarter, with no worry of walking out to stare at the side of a building. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Hotel location is great. We were greeted and assisted throughout our stay by a very helpful and professional staff, particularly Eric and Daz, We booked a petite room so we knew what we were in for and that's just what it is--small! One of the problems we found, however, was the lack of a proper closet...there is only a small waist-high closet under a counter so if you need to hang something long like a suit or a gown you will not be able to.

The only real downside to our particular room was the noise from a club downstairs (not associated with the hotel) that kept us awake with the thumping music ALL night. Despite these negatives, I would highly recommend this hotel to those who want to see what New Orleans has to offer, particularly the French Quarter, and don't plan on just hanging out in their room. If you want a place close to the art and antique shops that Royal St is famous for, this is a great starting place.

And if you want a riot of an unofficial tour guide, call for Nancy the cab driver and she'll tell you everything you never knew you wanted to know!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Claire M!
It is so great to see our team was able to make such a positive impact on your stay. While three of our petite rooms do not offer full sized closets a majority do, and I apologize if we were not able to meet this request for your stay. I have notated your account so we may assist in this need in the future! We look forward to your speedy return.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We loved everything about the location - it's nestled near art galleries and great restaurants and away from the boisterous part of Bourbon St. The staff was extremely pleasant, kind and very helpful. The room was clean and well kept however, be prepared for its' small size. There is little room to put your luggage out and there is only one very narrow table to put your stuff on. The bathroom is tiny, tiny, tiny. The sink was so small I had a hard time washing my face and there was no counter space whatsoever. The shower is also tiny. This is definitely not the hotel for you if you are big boned or claustrophobic. However, that being said, it was quiet and very charming. I would consider staying here again just for the location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HunterSimone
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear HunterSimone,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Hotel Royal. Hotel Royal was originally a Creole townhouse in the 1800’s and therefore our rooms range in size. Again we are sorry to hear that the space was a challenge for you. Usually we recommend a Royal Superior Suite or Royal Balcony Suite for our guest who prefer more space and the Deluxe Suites for those guests who enjoy the location with less need for space. I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy our property’s perfect location in the French Quarter! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Regards,