“Review from a Local”

Ranked #100 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“Review from a Local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I rent my house in the French Quarter out during the Mardi Gras season and this year I decided rather than stay with friends outside the Quarter I'd get a room. Three weeks ago I booked the room and got a great price for the time of year. I wasn't expecting much-just a place to sleep.

What a nice surprise. I've stayed in a lot of hotels in the Quarter and this was the quietest one ever. No screaming drunk kids at 4am. No traffic noise. There's even a patio just outside the room I stayed in and...silence. It was awesome. It was Mardi Gras weekend and it was still quiet. The room is small-think Manhattan hotel room size-but it was spotless clean. I was actually told I had the smallest room in the hotel (R6) and I was still happy with the room. The staff was helpful, kind and attentive.

The only two downfalls I can think of are A. if you can't handle stairs this is not the place for you unless you specifically ask for a ground floor room. B. parking is very limited. Save yourself the hassle and park at the lots next to the river and walk the two short blocks to your hotel. It's $25 a day that way and it's a security monitored lot close to everything.

Seriously folks-this was a great French Quarter hotel experience.

Room Tip: If you're a smoker you should ask for R6. It's a tiny room, but there's a roof patio out...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank M G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel Royal met my expectations and more! Keayana greeted us at the front desk and Eric was the best. Eric got us parked right in front of the door! We weren't foolish enought to move the car the entire time because we were in walking distance of everything. Since we visited midweek we were given an upgrade with a balcony. We could not have asked for more here. The room was fresh and clean. The location and kindness of the staff made our stay here so enjoyable that we will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marie M
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

They renovated recently and the rooms will not dissapoint. They are brand new
and incredibly clean. The complimentary breakfast is also very good and the open
air center of the hotel is a great place to hang out and have a drink. Only drawbacks are the size of the rooms and the expensive nightly stay but they do have a lot to be proud of. We would
definitely stayhere again but pay the extra for the suite and private balcony overlooking the street.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElvisLovedMemphis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My man and I arrived in New Orleans at 7 am after driving all night from Dallas on a spur of the moment romantic decision to go to the Big Easy for Love Day. We called the hotel to see if we could park the car early and walk our delirious butts around while we waited for check in time to come around. The young lady at the front desk said that 'actually they had a room ready, and did I want to check in early and get some rest?' I was of course, completely over joyed. A travelers dream come true just happened for me at no extra charge. If I didn't mind walking up to the fourth floor. I didn't. While those stairs were much more of a steep climb than I'd anticipated in my groggy state, I was still super psyched. The room was spacious, modern loft like and unique. Bathtub was deep with jets! Thoroughly enjoyed that one. If you're picky about having water to shower with in the morning, might want to make sure you stagger times with your neighbors. The rest of the staff was helpful and personable, too. We'll stay again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DEBORAH D
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had a great room on the 4th floor with a balcony. Really gave you a taste for what it must be like to live in The Quarter. Near all the action, but on a reasonably quiet stretch of Royal (and we were there for New Year's Eve). Great, helpful staff, decent continental breakfast. Couldn't hear our neighbors.

My only problem was the bathroom. Could maybe stand with a reno. Shower door didn't close. Also-- how about some bar soap? Better for the environment.

Yes, there are stairs. They are good for you. Take them if you can, America!

Room Tip: Splurge and get yourself a balcony. Lots to see.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank LittleKing67
Menasha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Hotel Royal is a renovated 1827 Creole Townhouse and full of character. The rooms have been updated and very hip with exposed brick walls, flat screen TVs and marble bathrooms. The rooms are cozy but not large. I stayed on the third floor and got some exercise carrying my luggage up as there are no elevators. A picturesque courtyard in the middle adds to the charm. The staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast is limited and the pastries are yummy. Located on the corner of St. Philip and Royal, it is one block from Bourbon and a short walk to Jackson square. Frenchman street is only a few blocks away - this is where the locals go for music and good eats. The value is the best I have found in the quarters.

Room Tip: Any room is good as you will probably spend more time out of the room than in it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
New London, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

After visiting some family outside of the city, we decided to spend two nights in New Orleans before heading back north. We ended up getting to the hotel around 1pm, fortunately our room was ready. Dazz was wonderful; after checking us in, she offered us a map of the city and offered suggestions of where to go and where to eat (we took all of her suggestions and were never disappointed). On our way out to dinner that night, Donald caught us leaving our room to make sure we had waters and inquired about our plans, he was great at making you feel at home.
We were in room 25 which is right on the bottom floor near the lobby. The room is HUGE, probably could have accommodated another long size bed without it feeling cramped. There was a mini fridge in our room, which would have been put to more use if we stayed longer. The room was very clean; I typically get grossed out at hotels, not here. The noise level was high considering it was on street level, right near the stairs and the cleaning closet (though it wasn't very bothersome to us, went to bed late and woke up early to explore the city). There isn't much natural light in the room because there are old doors to the street (not accessible) and shutters that block the daylight (although we didn't spend the day in the room, so it didn't matter much). Next time I may spring for a balcony room.
The courtyard is quaint. Beautiful at night with the gas lanterns.
Breakfast consisted of coffee and tea (available 24/7), pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc, which was more than enough considering the amount of food we ate while out on the town.
The location of the hotel is superb in the heart of the French quarter, close to Bourbon Street without the noise, and short walk to the French Market and Decatur Street. Plenty of restaurants and bars within a few short blocks.
The night before our flight, the lady at the desk was able to arrange a cab for us. In the morning it arrived on time and the bellhop told us when the cab was coming down the road and brought our luggage to the cab for us. We never met a disgruntled employee. Everyone seemed genuine and truly happy to assist.
I without a doubt recommend this hotel for a true New Orleans experience, instead of staying in a chain hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple