“Really good value and a great location”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #88 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Miami Beach, Florida
“Really good value and a great location”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were really pleased with our stay here. The staff were good and the location was terrific, close enough to the hustle and bustle but a nice calm stroll home in the evening. The rooms are quite small and if you are a "plus sized" person you may struggle with the size of the shower. Actually, my wife is quite small and had to stick her leg out of the shower to shave. It all worked fine for us. Yes, there are lots of stairs but given the way we ate and drank we kind of appreciated the forced work out. We had read the reviews ahead of time and, given the price of our room, we felt like we got good value for the money. I would gladly stay here again. If I had to make any comment it would be mainly that some of the drunk guests arriving home at 5 am should consider those that may already be asleep, pretty funny when you hear one of them trip on the steps though. Oh, and the bed had a pretty serious squeak everytime on of us moved.

Room Tip: If they offer you a room on the higher floors go ahead and take it, the bathrooms are bigger. We ask...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before but this hotel was so bad I wanted to alert other potential guests. We were charged $500 a night for a hotel room that had:
- cracked glass in the window
- hot water in the toilet (we figured that out because the toilet seat was constantly wet!)
- 2 lone windows (one of which did not open)
- a vibrating wall (hey, I can't make this stuff up)
- some unexplained heat source that made the room about 10% hotter then the outside.
- no dresser

I travel a lot and look for a clean hotel room in good condition in a safe location so my expectations are reasonable. The location was great and the hotel staff was very nice but we moved to another hotel (Omni Royal) after the first night which was in much better condition and $200 less.

Also, lots of stairs and different levels so if you have any physical issues this is not the place for you.

We had trouble getting a reservation at a hotel the week we were in New Orleans and I guess there was a reason the Royal Hotel had availability. Avoid at all costs!

3 Thank R T
Burlington
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our stay started off very rocky but the staff fixed the issue at hand which made me happy in the end. We drove from Canada to New Orleans and when we arrived all we wanted to do was get settled and go check out the French Quarter. We checked in and got to our room and it was above a restaurant kitchen and was smoky and smelled like burnt food. I immediately went down to the front desk and was helped right away which was great to see. I am never a complainer and if i was on a guys trip i probably wouldnt have said anything. However it was pretty bad and there were no rooms left - the nice thing is they had a sister property and paid for us to cab to it and got us a balcony room overlooking Chartres Street. All in all it was a bad situation that was solved in an efficient and pleasant manner. The only concern is something like that needs to be dealt with so no further guests have to go through what we did. All in all nice property in great location - needs some things to be looked at in the rooms to ensure guests will be comfortable no matter what room you get.

Parking is also in a lot that made me uneasy for the night - try finding a garage close by that has security or valet.

Amherst, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2014

2 adults stayed at this hotel for 4 nights recently [just beyond Mardi Gras]. I had read reviews about this site regarding the poor shower-pressure and mixed reviews about customer service. Our room was clean. The shower was always hot [a must for me] and water pressure was not as bad as anticipated. We brought extra washclothes after reading this tip from another reviewer. What most impressed us was the friendly staff who went above and beyond helping us, always greeting us and asking if we'd like a bottle of water. I was really impressed with their kindness and attentiveness. The location is also perfect, and not loud at night. We would definitely return to this hotel. :)

MA
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hotel Royal was the perfect escape on our first trip to New Orleans! Keayana greeted us at the front desk and Eric attended us all weekend. The room was small but very clean. Lots of stairs and no elevator made for achy feet but the hotel made up for it in charm. The courtyard was pretty and well kept and the staff was always asking if we needed anything and how to make our stay better. They were quick with our bags and getting us a cab too! We had an inside room with a view of the courtyard which was nice and quiet. We were very centrally located and walked almost everywhere.

Room Tip: If you can't do stairs make it known at check in since there is no elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I rent my house in the French Quarter out during the Mardi Gras season and this year I decided rather than stay with friends outside the Quarter I'd get a room. Three weeks ago I booked the room and got a great price for the time of year. I wasn't expecting much-just a place to sleep.

What a nice surprise. I've stayed in a lot of hotels in the Quarter and this was the quietest one ever. No screaming drunk kids at 4am. No traffic noise. There's even a patio just outside the room I stayed in and...silence. It was awesome. It was Mardi Gras weekend and it was still quiet. The room is small-think Manhattan hotel room size-but it was spotless clean. I was actually told I had the smallest room in the hotel (R6) and I was still happy with the room. The staff was helpful, kind and attentive.

The only two downfalls I can think of are A. if you can't handle stairs this is not the place for you unless you specifically ask for a ground floor room. B. parking is very limited. Save yourself the hassle and park at the lots next to the river and walk the two short blocks to your hotel. It's $25 a day that way and it's a security monitored lot close to everything.

Seriously folks-this was a great French Quarter hotel experience.

Room Tip: If you're a smoker you should ask for R6. It's a tiny room, but there's a roof patio out...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank M G
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel Royal met my expectations and more! Keayana greeted us at the front desk and Eric was the best. Eric got us parked right in front of the door! We weren't foolish enought to move the car the entire time because we were in walking distance of everything. Since we visited midweek we were given an upgrade with a balcony. We could not have asked for more here. The room was fresh and clean. The location and kindness of the staff made our stay here so enjoyable that we will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple