“Great Stay!”

Ranked #99 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Norway, Maine
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here one night before going to one of the bigger chain hotels for a conference. What a nice surprise... From the outside it does not look like much. However, my room was charming!
High ceiling, brick walls, wood floors. It was simply charming. It was quiet at night. I got a great night's sleep. The bed, linens and pillows were comfy. Quiet at night so that you could sleep. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bellman, Eric, gave me tons of recommendations of where to eat (all good suggestions). Location was perfect... a quick walk to everywhere. I loved being on streets where there was a focus on art and everyone you met said hello. I just loved it!
I would recommend the hotel and would go back. The only negative (which I didn't mind at all but want to share) is that there is no elevator and so you have to walk up and down stairs. I was on the third floor and so it was not convenient with a suitcase but the staff will help you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We tried this Hotel because we wanted to spend a couple of nights after a cruise. We wanted to be in the quarter since we had flown. The staff was super helpful. The rooms were very clean and spacious. There are no many places you can get this large a room for this price. The pool was a lovely retreat. The Bathrooms are beautiful. Furnishings are modern. We walked everywhere. Super fun...I would definitely stay in this hotel. However, it doesn't have an elevator so be ready for that fact. We were aware of this and it wasn't a problem...But, it could be for someone challenged...Overall wonderful experience....

Room Tip: Street Balcony rooms are wonderful great view put you in the action but the Omni backs up and garbag...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

The one bedroom was small but very cute and cozy. We had a room outside the courtyard. Loved the all brick walls. Just a block from Bourbon but far enough down from all the noise at night. Never felt unsafe walking around in the middle of the night. A few blocks from all other touristy spots. The staff was friendly and helpful with suggestions on places to eat and visit. Perfect spot. When we go back, we'll stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is quite amazing admittedly we are in a small room with no windows that we can see out of. But the location and staff cannot be beaten. We are one block from Bourbon and three blocks from the Frenchman St. With none of the noise. I would especially like to thank Donald and Michelle at reception they help and guidance has made my stay so much better

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I just got back from a 5 day stay at Hotel Royal and I was not disappointed. Below I have listed my pros and cons. Also, I have added addition recommendations if this is your first time in New Orleans, like it was mine.

Pros
~Excellent hospitality and service from the staff. Any questions that you have, or anything at all that you need, they are there 24/7 to help. Everyone on the staff that we encountered were polite, courteous, and helpful.
~Complimentary Breakfast which includes; cereal, pastries, fruit, coffee and tea
~The Courtyard which is a great meeting place if you are there with others and also great for relaxation. You can sit out there with a drink, read or have your cafe in the morning
~LOCATION….we did not map this out before we went but we really lucked out with the location. It is one block from Bourbon Street with easy access to Duval Street, or going the other way to the Mississippi River where the trolleys are.
~Complimentary water…..They will have water for you in your room upon checkin and after a night out I would go to the front desk and ask for water before retiring for the night.
~Very close to a convenient market. Rouses market was maybe 3 blocks away and they are stocked with everything you may need; medicine, food, snacks, alcohol and more!
~Very comfortable bed and pillows
~Very clean rooms with an awesome housekeeping team. Whether we left at 8AM or 1PM, they knew and our room was cleaned before we returned. Even if it was just to go have breakfast and come right back.
~Marble bathrooms with good shower pressure. We had two shower heads, one right over our head and the usual one which was awesome.
~There is a coffee shop (Community Coffee) right across the street for lattes, expresso, etc.

Cons
~Our room was really small. It was fine for us, being two girls, but I could not see a man of 6 foot tall or over getting ready in our bathroom. They told us that all of their rooms are designed differently. Their were 6 of us in 3 different rooms and all of the rooms were different. We definitely had the smallest. It had character though; brick walls and french doors that led to a balcony over looking the courtyard. But I would request a bigger room, or a room with a balcony, upon booking if need be. Friends of ours called two weeks before we were to check in for an upgrade to a balcony room and they were all booked up already. And when we checked out, that week to come was booked also. So this is a popular hotel that stays busy. To make any requests at all, do so upon booking.
~WiFi is slow
~The hotel is 3 stories with no elevator. So, if you are on the upper floors, you will be carrying your bags and walking up the flights for your entire stay. I was on the second floor and this was not a problem for me but others with disabilities may want to know.
~Thin walls….you can hear everything outside. We had a front door and french doors in the back overlooking the courtyard. We could hear people on both ends. People that were coming home drunk at 4/5 AM, maintenance people working or people just slamming their doors. Again, really not a big problem for me personally, but this may be a concern for others.

Recommendations:

Upon checkout (or the night before), tell the bell hop what time you need to be at the airport. He will make sure there is a cab out front at that time. Also, you can checkout of the hotel and leave your bags downstairs in the lobby until you are ready to go to the airport (if you have a later flight) but they are strict with the 11AM checkout, being a popular, small, boutique hotel that stays booked.

For breakfast every morning, we walked to the French Market Cafe. I would highly recommend this place. There is live jazz music playing daily, great food, a breakfast buffett for less than $10, we never had to wait for a seat (most places you will) and a pretty darn good bloody mary!

If you are tired of the Quarter and want to venture out in a cab for some delicious Creole food, go to the Treme area and eat at Dookey Chases. This should not disappoint. We went to the lunch buffett and even got to meet Ms. Dookey herself, who at 90 is still cooking! Im not sure if this place takes reservations or not, but if you could make one, do so. Its always packed.

For great, live jazz music, where the locals hang out, take a walk to Frenchmen Street. It’s a little outside of the Quarter, but not too far. We saw a great band at the D.B.A. and their selection of alcohol is incredible. Oh, and great bartenders as well. This was one of our best nights.

For a cool, cheap dive bar right off of Bourbon Street, find Mollys.

And the best fried chicken that we found while visiting NOLA was Willies Fried Chicken on Bourbon Street. Especially after drinking all day or night and want a bite to eat before returning to the hotel. Its cheap, fast, delicious, and you can people watch while eating. There are a couple of them on Bourbon, we stayed faithful to the first one we went to and we went back to Willies Fried Chicken every night!

Feel free to email me any questions that you have and I will give you my honest opinion.
Thanks and Enjoy!

Room Tip: My room was too small. If you need more room to get ready or want a balcony, request upon booking i...
5 Thank shelb077
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were really pleased with our stay here. The staff were good and the location was terrific, close enough to the hustle and bustle but a nice calm stroll home in the evening. The rooms are quite small and if you are a "plus sized" person you may struggle with the size of the shower. Actually, my wife is quite small and had to stick her leg out of the shower to shave. It all worked fine for us. Yes, there are lots of stairs but given the way we ate and drank we kind of appreciated the forced work out. We had read the reviews ahead of time and, given the price of our room, we felt like we got good value for the money. I would gladly stay here again. If I had to make any comment it would be mainly that some of the drunk guests arriving home at 5 am should consider those that may already be asleep, pretty funny when you hear one of them trip on the steps though. Oh, and the bed had a pretty serious squeak everytime on of us moved.

Room Tip: If they offer you a room on the higher floors go ahead and take it, the bathrooms are bigger. We ask...
Oakland, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before but this hotel was so bad I wanted to alert other potential guests. We were charged $500 a night for a hotel room that had:
- cracked glass in the window
- hot water in the toilet (we figured that out because the toilet seat was constantly wet!)
- 2 lone windows (one of which did not open)
- a vibrating wall (hey, I can't make this stuff up)
- some unexplained heat source that made the room about 10% hotter then the outside.
- no dresser

I travel a lot and look for a clean hotel room in good condition in a safe location so my expectations are reasonable. The location was great and the hotel staff was very nice but we moved to another hotel (Omni Royal) after the first night which was in much better condition and $200 less.

Also, lots of stairs and different levels so if you have any physical issues this is not the place for you.

We had trouble getting a reservation at a hotel the week we were in New Orleans and I guess there was a reason the Royal Hotel had availability. Avoid at all costs!

3 Thank R T