“UNBEATABLE ! A true TREASURE in the French Quarter”

The Saint Philip Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“UNBEATABLE ! A true TREASURE in the French Quarter”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Ok,
I stayed in New Orleans many, many times...it is always exciting and fresh to me, love the spirit of the city. The St. Philip was recommended to me many years ago and I have been staying there every since...!
I am German and I must tell you...this place ROCKS !
Loved it from the moment I walked in...gorgeous gardens, PERFECT location, great rooms and GIANT suites and best of all you will be treated like family...I love the staff there, the manager rocks and is always up for a fun chat, she is full of life and she will bring a smile to your face !
Promise...
Yes, I can highly recommend this place...you will be well taken care of...!
Thanks for another great stay, St. Philip and staff...will be back soon ;)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ascotusa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Victoria
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I thought a lot about this review. I have read a great deal of other peoples reviews on this property, both positive and negative. I have also found the owner/operator’s responses interesting and occasionally revealing. My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend in April 2013. The location is very good, right in the French Quarter but far enough off of Bourbon Street to keep you out of the mayhem when you need a break from reverie. Easy walking distance to pretty much everything you’d want to see in the city. An inexperienced traveller might not make note of the fact that this is not a typical hotel, but rather more like a vacation rental. I didn’t really know this up front ( We booked through a 3P site ) but I read everything provided carefully and pretty much knew what to expect. What does it all mean? Well, there is no daily room service ( but you can get clean towels daily ). Things like soap and shampoo are not necessarily provided ( although a slippery half travel sized bottle of some one’s shampoo was left for us ). At the end you will be expected to do the bulk of the work in cleaning up after yourself. It’s much like staying with someone in their spare room. On the face of it, the place was pretty tidy but certainly did not have the feeling of being professionally cleaned. The bed was just okay and the linens are strictly grandma’s garage sale material. As I said, you are away from the nightly cacophony of Bourbon, but deliveries and other truck related activities begin very early so don’t bank on a late morning lie-in. There is more or less a full kitchen set up which with so many amazing restaurants in the area you’ll likely not need it, but I always appreciate a fridge. This one was big. I suppose the main question is value. We came unbeknownst to us, on a busy weekend and we all know rates rise and fall based on demand. My personal opinion is; stack this up against any hotel that charges over $330.00 per night and the value just isn’t there at the St. Philip’s. That kind of money gets you a great deal more almost anywhere else, and that is just a fact. I expect this review will elicit
a response from the proprietor as I have made some remarks here that are uncomplimentary. That is fair. Whatever their response I urge you to balance your opinion due to the fact that every single patron who has made a complaint or disparaging remark has, in the owners opinion, been 100% responsible for their own poor experience. I don’t think that shows a propensity for objectivity or the probability of learning from ones mistakes.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank HavanaBob
StPhilip, Manager at The Saint Philip Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2015
sweetie darling, lets just face it - you simply did not enjoy yourself at our humble little establishment. Your comments seem to be more directed at what you seem to feel your un-approving method of our responding to our own reviews. You did know that you were booking a vacation rental apartment in an historic building, located in an historic neighborhood -- and that surely there are some differences from the monstrous chains you are most likely used to staying at. Surely you knew as well that your time period was a total citywide sellout and you just happen to get lucky by finding us only because of a cancellation, you also certainly knew the full price before you booked your stay here, so none of that should have surprised you. We do hate when people don't enjoy themselves, and write such wretched reviews, but we do realize we are not for everyones tastes, and we most obviously were not suitable for yours. We'd love to blab on and on about how we'd like to see again and hope that you give us another try, and so on and so forth, but lets be real - you won't be coming back, and we've got garage sales to get going to (you know theyre very hard to find these days!!!)
Next time choose wiser and perhaps try just a tad to enjoy your stay.
Cheerio Sweetie Darling!!!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Friendly and accomodating service, a fantastic location, delightful courtyard and a great balcony--this place is a real gem! You are literally a couple of blocks from both Jackson Square and the French Market. Lots of great restaurants are nearby. The staff provides great recommendations, reading materials, and friendly advice. People walking up St. Philip street would see us on our balcony and call up, "Wow! Love your place!" I couldn't agree with them more.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms with balcony on St. Philip are great, as that street is quieter than Chartres.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Covington, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2013

It's the best place to stay in the French Quarter! It is close to many great restaurants and attractions that the Quarter is known for. The St. Louis Cathedral and French Market is around the
corner, which makes it very convenient. If you want a clean friendly place to stay in New Orleans
the St. Philip French Quarter Apts. is the place for you. I always stay there when I go to the city.
Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We stayed at the St. Philip French Quarter Apts. in Feb. for a bachelorette party. There were 13 of us and we rented out 4 rooms for a long weekend. The staff was very friendly and accomodating to our group. The location was perfect for us! Easy walking distance to Bourbon St., Jackson Square, tons of shopping and restaurants. The rooms were nice and each had a different unique touch to them.

Room Tip: No elevators so you might want to avoid the 4th floor. Also first floor window is right on the stre...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed at the St. Philip Apartments with friends in September but didn't organize the travel. So I was completely WOWed when we arrived and the staff was friendly and laid back and eager to please. We had such a great time that I couldn't wait to go back. When I showed the pictures of that visit to my family, we planned our own trip in December. We stayed 3 nights in a beautiful second floor room that had it's own covered patio that overlooked the french quarter. It was an easy walk to anywhere we wanted to go. The room had enough room for my mother and two sisters and myself and we all slept comfortably. The room was spacious and colorful and well appointed. I can't say enough nice things about this place. The downstairs courtyard was beautiful and decorated for Christmas. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to pick a date for our next trip down there.

Room Tip: The above ground rooms have patios. Beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed four nights. The staff was very friendly and informative about area attractions, places to dine, etc. My room was "funky chic", very clean and comfortable. Like other reviewers, my favorite spot was on the balcony.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business