“I'll be back!”

The Saint Philip Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
“I'll be back!”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at St Philip for a month in July/August 2013. When We first arrived, I noticed the marking on the wall left in honour of Katrina. I thought it was such a nice tribute. We were greeted by the friendly faces of June and Tyler who offered to assist in taking our luggage upstairs (top floor) to our room. I liked the fact St Phillip has no elevator, as did my toned legs after our stay! As you walk through the security coded doors, you KNOW you're in New Orleans by the quaint letter boxes sporting a Fleur-de-lys on each of them, the political and humorous New Orleans artwork along the corridor and the gorgeous, tranquil garden with a lovely fountain displaying a large crawfish. Magnificent! Our room was breathtaking when we first entered and was well worth the climb up the stairs. The decor and general feel was homely but very modern. The bed was comfy, air con in the bedroom and open plan kitchen area worked great as did all of the amenities. The shower took some getting used to, soon realising we had to run it a bit until it ran warm, but considering everything in the Qtr is old, including the pipes, it was no issue. A few days in I met the owner, Craig, who greeted me with a gentlemanly hug. The position is perfect with a short walk to the Mississippi (literally around the corner) or a longer stroll through the French Qtr towards the sounds of the streetcars on Canal Street. Our stay at St Philip was warm and accommodating and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a central place to stay in the Qtr!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Linda T
StPhilip, General Manager at The Saint Philip Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Linda thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience here. We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.
So glad you enjoyed your stay, our location and our staff. :-)
Thanks Again
Tyler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My family had an ejoyable experience at the apartments. I travelled with a toddler and could not ask for better place for her. We were close enough to the Riverwalk where she could take long morning walks and see the sights. June and Tyler treated us very well. I want to thank them for making he rfeel welcomed. I would also like to thank them for giving us places to go and just good conversation. Tyler got ice cream for my daughter which she enjoyed.

It is the type of place you would love to rent out for a long weekend and invite friends and family.

My only compaint is that it takes a few minutes to get the shower to an acceptable temprature. It just made us plan in advance. The courtyard and balcony outweighed any issues with the shower. We will return in the future.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony is nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Daniel J
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Our family stayed here for a week in December 2013. We had a very good experience and will definitely consider returning if we visit New Orleans again.
We liked:
* Great location; just outside the noisier action in French Quarter, but close enough to enjoy!
* Privacy of apartment; we liked the fact that we did not have the daily intrusion of cleaning staff.
* All staff members were very friendly and helpful (THANKS!!!)
* Great private balcony for people watching while sipping away at a cold beverage!
* Complimentary and reliable internet access.
The only real area that needs improvement, is a structural one relating to the rather small and uncomfortable bathroom. If possible, we think that a few structural changes will greatly improve the overall value offering. Details: Shower=difficult to get the water heat setting correct; water pressure is a little low; no place to put the soap and shampoo!; Toilet=very low seating making for tricky positioning!; towel rail directly above it so prepare to sit down with a towel flapping in your face!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony (we stayed in unit 6 on the 2nd floor) is very worthwhile.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AceBar
StPhilip, Manager at The Saint Philip Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us for your New Orleans trip. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and think so highly of our staff. Apologies about the bathrooms, unfortunately the age of the building and location of pipes is severely limiting. We look forward to seeing you again on future visits.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at St. Philip this past weekend and could not have had a better time. The location was simply perfect, within feet of our favorite restaurants and shops. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The apt. was a fun place for us to congregate before venturing out.
love, love, love this place.
It will be added to our annual trip as our home base.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

It started badly: I couldn't get in. I hadn't been sent the passcode to get through the front gate and there was no buzzer (why on earth not?!) so I had to ring 2 numbers (the first didn't answer) before I could get someone to come and let me in. Not ideal when I had a cab waiting to take me back to Bourbon St (though I realised later how near it is - good location). It's a lovely room, nicely designed with a large bed and a separate lounge area plus kitchenette, and great wallpaper. But no bottled water in the fridge which was a real shame - not a difficult thing to provide. And the radio was rubbish - old and not easy to tune. The TV was also pretty measly - I thought everything was bigger in the States?!

It was also too cold with no way (that I could see) of heating it - admittedly it was an unusually cold weekend but still. And there's no excuse for not providing extra blankets though I'm sure if I'd asked I could have got one - it's just that I was in bed and cold at 2am so that wasn't going to happen. Also there seemed to be no central light switch so you have to go around putting on each individual light which is annoying. And the shower was pretty fiddly to get to the right temperature, and wasn't very powerful.

I'd have given it 2 stars because of all these issues and the price, but the lady (Tyler) was very friendly and she gave me some free beer to make up for the door code issue, which was appreciated.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
StPhilip, Manager at The Saint Philip Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us here on TA. We strive very hard to communicate with guests about arrival procedures and door code. It does appear that you were sent your confirmations with this information to the email you provided upon making your reservation online. We find that on rare occassions when people have issues with after office hours entry it is because guests did not review their confirmations, or provide us with an arrival time. Having this information is very important in such a small property as ours. In regards to your comments about not having a buzzer, there is indeed a very large buzzer panel located to the right of the entry door (rather hard to miss). There is also signage with numbers to dial in case of any problems, which is located just above the buzzers. We did know you were arriving, however did not know what time you were arriving. As you know I was on property and greeted you in a matter of seconds after receiving your call. As far as your issue with the heating, all units are equipped with both a/c and heat. You specifically asked me to turn off the heat in your unit because you felt it was too hot. I did show you the controls for the heat and a/c, which you could have easily adjusted at any time.
All units are also equipped with a large central light fixture, the switch for your unit is located right at the entrance door. You are correct that there is no excuse for not providing extra blankets.. yours was in the closet directly next to the bed (along with an extra pillow). I would have been happy to point this out had you asked me.
At this time we do not provide bottled water to guests, however I will discuss this with our owners. Our clock radios are standard hotel clock radios, admittedly they are not Bose, but hardly rubbish either. You are correct that the TV could definitely be bigger, I will make note of that when it is time to replace.
Thank you very much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to point out the more positive parts of your stay as well
Tyler W.
West Hollywood
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is the most unique, warm hotel I have ever stayed in. Each apartment is different and so unique. The, I think manager who is this very warm woman is so helpful and knowledgeable. The price was very reasonable especially considering the apartment I stayed in. It is only 2 blocks from Bourbon Street. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Arlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the St. Philip apartments over Veteran's Day weekend. My group consisted of 2 couples. I had emailed ahead asking if we could have a 2 bedroom with a balcony and was really pleased with my choice! The downstairs apartment suite was more of a studio - it was nice to have 2 separate rooms for my group. The apartment was clean and the service was great. Easy check-in and lots of great advice on where to go. We loved lounging on the balcony after a long day of walking around. The location was also perfect - easy walking to Bourbon St and Frenchman St for night activities, but far enough from the chaos that it was quiet for sleeping. I definitely am recommending this place to friends and would love to stay again!

Room Tip: If available, ask for a room with a balcony. The view to the street is perfect!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MollieW_13
StPhilip, Manager at The Saint Philip Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
We'd like to thank your entire group for choosing to stay with us. We are delighted ya'll had such a good time. Thanks especially for taking the time to mention the good job our staff does, it means a lot! Looking forward to future visits :-)