“By the way, it's named 13, like the...”
Review of Xiii - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Xiii
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Reviewed 15 April 2010

By the way, it's named 13, like the number.
Oh dear. And we like the food there and think it's a cool place. Yes. Kinda San Francisco or Berkeley crowd. We like that. Counter-culture.
We eat there all the time. Never have to wait long at all. It's like pub food, but EXTREMELY tasty. Delicious in fact. Their soups are wonderful. Awesome. Try the spicy pulled pork sandwich. Can't go wrong.

There are newer reviews for Xiii
Reviewed 20 August 2008

"Eclectic" does not do justice in describing this bar & grill. "Fringe Eclectic" comes more to the point.

I read the other review in this forum, before flying back to New Orleans, and I had my doubts. However, my visit could not have been more different.

I sat at the bar, and the barmaid turned out to be the only waitress, also. However, service was quick and very friendly. The food was great! The Saturday evening crowd was something out of a film (think "Rocky Horror Picture Show"). I spent the whole evening there and enjoyed each hour more than the previous.

"13" is not for eveyone, but then most nothing is.

Again, I love this place and am looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 23 January 2008

When researching our trip to New Orleans, 13 Monaghan's was on our short list of "must try" restaurants. We walked about 15 blocks just to eat there. They are known because they offer a few vegetarian items on the menu (tofu po'boy, portabello sandwiches, etc.) and that's a rare commodity in this town.

We walked in and were ignored by the waiter for a little while (note that this is a SMALL place with less than ten tables. More bar than restaurant.) We placed our order and waited. And waited. The kitchen is completely open and the cooking and prep areas exposed to the restaurant. The cook was talking to a bunch of shall we call them 'Bohemians' the entire time she made up the meals, where literally they were all talking right over the cook and prep table. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc., over the food. The cook never once washed her hands as she went from hugging a new friend who's coming or going, handling raw meat, and cutting a loaf of bread for a sandwich.

For some reason, we stayed through this horrific display. For 30 minutes. Then 40. At 45 minutes we got up, threw $2 on the table for the sodas we'd been drinking, and told the waiter that 45 minutes was ridiculous considering there was two other people eating and everyone else was served long ago. (For the record, we ordered a tater-tot appetizer and portabella sandwich. Not such difficult or time-consuming items to prepare)

This place was dirty, the food-handling procedures abominable, and the service painfully slow. 1 Star is sadly as low as we can rate this dive.

4  Thank Andre S