“Great value and location”
Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #56 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 17 March 2012

There's probably no better location for families in the French Quarter. Safe neighborhood easy walking distance to Aquarium, Insectarium, Canal Street (streetcars) and Jackson Square. Better than average continental breakfast, and kid-pleasing cookies and lemonade available in the lobby in the afternoons.

We had a second-floor room above Decatur Street that got a LOT of street noise at night. There's the fire station (which is also fun for kids, the friendly firemen sit right out on the sidewalk when they're in the station), yes, but more noise comes from the Irish pub across the street that has live music and is known as a late-night destination, as well as the groups of people shouting at each other as they walk by. Ask for a room off the street if that's a concern for you. Courtyard rooms have a balcony and looked like a good bet. Our party also had an interior king room, which was much quieter.

We had to wait 40 minutes for the valet service to retrieve our car on check-out morning (which was not busy on a Wednesday.) We were told the people who parked the car off-site failed to write a location on the ticket, and they had to go looking for the car. Next time we'll call ahead to warn them we'll want our car, to try to cut down on the wait time. Others checking out at the same time didn't have that problem.

Service from hotel staff was consistently friendly. Stop by the candy store on the corner of Conti and Decatur for pralines or ice cream. There's also a nice gift shop on the opposite side of Decatur towards Canal Street (near the House of Blues) where the merchandise isn't too gaudy.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gaelharp

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Visiting NOLA for a wedding and had a block of rooms available at Bienville House, took the opportunity due to the low rate and distance from wedding events/bourbon street area. Upon arrival was very suprised by cute street apeal and friendly reception area, after receiving our room key we ventured around the lobby area and found the pool. The pool is in the courtyard area in the middle of the building. It is very "grotto" like and almost had a european feel with its rustic charm yet small and charming feel. Unfortunatelly, we did not use the pool but did take advantage of the small breakfast bar the next morning in the lobby area that was just enough to get you up and going to take on the town. The room was on the top level which is actually an outdoor hallway terrace that winds around different corners offering a few views of the city. Luckily it was a warm day and we were able sit out on our own patio terrace directly outside our room. Inside the room- very clean and suprisingly large, we shared with another couple and had more than enough room for the 4 of us. The bathroom was a little outdated but it was still functional and clean (most important). Upon checkout we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who knew the city well and helped with out bags by a team of skilled bell staff.
Overall- great place to stay, walking distance to anything in the bourbon street area, safe, clean, and offered a comfortable NOLA experience.

Room Tip: choose terrace room for outdoor patio included rooms at same price as interior room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cambroclt
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The Bienville House was a perfect place to stay. The location can't be beat. It's within walking distance to the entire Quarter, and a short walk to the trolley that runs along the river and can take you all the way up to the French Market. I had asked for a courtyard room. Upon check in I found we were given a street front room. I requested a change and was immediatley given the type of room I requested. Noise can be a problem in the Quarter, so I always get an off the street room. Cynithia, behind the desk was wonderful and very accomodating. Justin, at bell services was also cordial, and went out of his way to be helpful. They offered a nice breakfast as well. My only complaint about this property was the carpets. After Cynthia changed our room to courtyard, I told her the carpeting was dirty and spotted. She offered another room which we checked out, only to find the carpet there was no better. Also, the carpet in the breakfast area was spotted. The beds were very comfortable, and the rest of the property was lovely. The charge for parking was very fair at only $22 per day. We didn't take our car out for our entire stay, and we saw that it was kept right at our hotel. I would stay here again, and recommend it to friends. I just would like to see the carpets cleaned.

Room Tip: Get a courtyard room to avoid traffic noise. Also, there's a firehouse across the street from th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barbaragwen270
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Bienville House is a charming hotel on the edge of the French Quarter with easy access to all the big hotels where conventions and conferences are held. Avoid the cookie-cutter quality of the major chains and stay at this cute, well-appointed former grain warehouse. Continental breakfast is included--sit outside in the lovely courtyard if weather permits. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I stayed in an internal room (no windows) since I knew I wouldn't be hanging out much in the roo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie H
Reviewed 8 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Sheryl B
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I recently completed my stay at the Bienville House and I was extremely disappointed with my experience. I booked a double/double room with a balcony in September and requested a Decatur balcony so i could have a good view of the Quarter during Mardi gras. I called to confirm that I would have a balcony room on Decatur on two separate occasions (once in December and once in February) and was told that, "yes, indeed, you have a double room balcony on Decatur". I was shocked when I arrived at the hotel to find that I had been placed in a room with a courtyard balcony. I had a great view of a cement wall and my neighbor's room. The guest service representative on-duty was completely unfriendly and unaccommodating. She informed me that there were no double/double balcony rooms, that all the Decatur balconies were King rooms so there is no way I could've been placed in a Decatur room since I had three people in my party and needed two beds. I should've been told when I booked the room that there were no double/double rooms with balconies on Decatur. For the price I paid ($576 for two nights), I could've found a room somewhere else in the Quarter that better matched my needs.

Room Tip: Only King Rooms overlooking Decatur
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just returned from a six-night stay at this wonderful boutique hotel. Location was perfect. Near to the parades of Mardi Gras and the craziness of Bourbon Street, but remote enough to enjoy a restful night’s sleep. Rooms were clean. Staff was exceptionally accommodating. Charming . . . charming . . . charming.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family