“Wonderful Choice”
Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #56 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and I have been visiting New Orleans for over 25 years. Have stayed in many nice hotels during this time including the Marriott, Westin, and the Monteleone, a sister property. It was through an e-mail from the Monteleone about three years ago that we learned about the Bienville House. We decided to try it, fell in love with it, and will never stay anywhere else.

The location is superb. Pretty much a 2-3 block walk from Bourbon street, Canal Place, Riverwalk, The Aquarium, Jackson Square, and the St. Charles streetcar. A little further to the French Market, but straight down Decatur St. from the hotel.

The staff at the hotel is absolutely superb, with none of the indifference frequently experienced in large cities. On our first trip we were treated wonderfully. On subsequent trips we were always welcomed as returning guests. They will do anything possible to see that you have a pleasant and comfortable stay. The valet parking is probably the best in New Orleans, and among the least expensive at $20.00 / night. Others have run from $30.00 to $40.00 per night. From valet parking to the front desk is only a few steps. Wi-Fi is now free. If you are a breakfast person they offer a complimentary continental breakfast with various types of rolls, fruit, juices, milk, and an absolutely wonderful coffee.

We normally request a room with a courtyard balcony. These balconies are small, but adequate for two, and overlooks an absolutely beautiful courtyard with a small salt water pool. On our last visit we had a room with a much larger, though private, balcony overlooking Decatur Street. It was a different, but wonderful experience, watching the people, the street, and the energy of the city from the security of a second floor balcony. On occasion, the fire station across the street can provide additional excitement. Actually, I believe it possibly has been our favorite room.

I am at a little bit of a loss, reading the few reviews about a having a dirty or moldy room, or with malfunctioning plumbing. We have never experienced this. Our rooms have always been very clean and well maintained. The magnificent four poster beds have a very comfortable mattress. The hotel provides a complimentary in-room safe. Thankfully, although the ambiance of the hotel may be nineteenth century, the bathroom fixtures are modern and have always worked.

Overall, this is a great little boutique hotel, skillfully blending the eloquence of yesteryear with the demands of the 21st century guest.

5  Thank Gary H
There are newer reviews for Bienville House

Reviewed 4 April 2012

my girlfriend and I had never been to new Orleans. we were flying into Houston for a couple of weeks and decided to take up a quick trip to the 'crescent city.' of course everyone said the French quarter was the place to stay so naturally we looked into hotels in that area. that's when we came across this little jewel.
from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, our entire stay was wonderful. the staff were friendly and came across genuine in their polite conversation. the room was stayed in (which was a deluxe room) was beyond expectations in space and comfort. plus the little balcony overlooking the courtyard below added an extra touch of ease and relaxation.
we didn't venture to the bar in the hotel but the breakfast wasn't too bad. simple Danishes, cinnamon rolls, choice of cereal, toasts, yogurt, etc. More so simple continental style but did the trick every morning.
we were lucky we got great weather too (in the mid 80s), which made the trip all the more enjoyable. overall, I recommend this place to those couples looking for a bit of quiet with southern charm and hospitality. and on a budget, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Room Tip: delux room is a little more but worth it if you'd like a little sun balcony in the mornings/even...
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The taxi from the airport was 43.00, but I shared a taxi so it wasn't bad. The hotel is in the perfect location to shop and walk to the nightlife on Bourbon street. There is a bar in the hotel, but I never made it there. The lobby was nice and the workers were super helpful. The room was really large and the bathroom was updated. It felt so romantic. I loved the hotel and can't wait to go back!

2  Thank Kelli E
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Let me start by saying the front desk staff at your Hotel were great. They were always friendly and willing to help in any way they could.We were rather disappointed in the Hotel itself.

The safe in our room had a low battery and needed changed. We stopped at the front desk every day to report the issue and it was never fixed. Each day we were assured it would be fixed by the time we got back. We didn’t want to put anything in the safe with the fear the battery would die while our items were still in it.

The room had an odor of stale basement – we had to air our room out every evening when we returned. With the room closed up all day – the smell was really unpleasant. We would prop our door open every evening – even though I didn’t feel safe in propping the door open we still did it.

We had no hand soap for the sink – so we had to use shower soap to wash our hands until day 2 – housekeeping did give us soap the 2nd day. This wasn’t critical so we didn’t call the front desk for hand soap since we had something we could use.

We had to request toilet paper – when housekeeping would come in, everything was not checked. We also weren’t given wash clothes.

We were very disappointed with the breakfast bar. We got down there one morning around 9:30 and it was mostly picked over. The breakfast bar attendant asked my friend if she’d like coffee – and brought her a cup. She asked if we needed cream and we replied no thank you. But, then the coffee was too hot and asked her for creamer to help cool down the coffee- she replied with the creamer is gone. How can you have coffee and no cream, they go hand in hand. There had to be creamer back in the kitchen. So, (this is where it gets good), the breakfast bar attendant walked over to this lady while she was heating a piece of toast and took the creamer off her plate – the lady responded with “HEY I NEED THAT” and my friend told the attendant to give the cream back to the lady who had it first. That was so rude. You don’t go and take items off someone’s plate while they are in line. We decided with the lack of options and the bad service we wouldn’t eat the free breakfast.

The showerhead was fabulous – the shower was amazing.

The elevator broke a lot. I am extremely claustrophobic as is and the elevator was down 2-3 times during our 4 day stay. We did use the service elevator once. We were not confident in the functionality of the elevator and if we would have gotten stuck, I would have seriously freaked out.

Location was great. We enjoyed being able to walk everywhere.

The front desk did give us a name of a vegetarian restaurant and an address, we walked pretty far to get there to find out it was closed and all boarded up. That was day 1 before we knew where anything was. I would recommend verifying places before sending guests there.

We inquired about the Halloween parade and were told it was cancelled by the front desk. To find out later, there was a parade. We missed it. Halloween weekend and all the events is one of the reasons we came to New Orleans. We wanted to find out the parade route, and missed the entire thing.

Overall we had a nice trip, but the hotel was less than what was expected. I will be putting my review on Trip Advisor and will state that I would not recommend this hotel.

THIS LETTER WAS SENT TO HOTEL AND THEY NEVER RESPONDED.
Date of stay: 10/29/2011
Departure: 11/2/2011

Room Tip: Don't pick this hotel. That's my tip.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
BHSales, General Manager at Bienville House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Kimberly W,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you endured during your recent stay with us. I am appalled that we failed so poorly in our responsibility to you as our guest. There simply is no excuse for the inconveniences you experienced. We would like to hear more about your stay. Please email scaputo@hotelmonteleone.com directly. We apologize again.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This rather small hotel is big in other ways. It is within walking distance to the entire French Quarter. The rooms are small, but very nicely appointed with reproduction furniture. The patio is very "New Orleans", and the breakfast is more than ample for a complementary start of the day! We have stayed there often, and have been pleased. The balcony rooms are larger and offer a fun view of the fire station!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phyllis t
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Located conveniently to the French Quarter, within walking distance to all of the excitement but not in all the chaos.
The staff goes beyond excellent. Miss Cynthia is very informative, so professional and pleasant. She made our stay perfect!! Comfortable beds, large rooms, beautiful pool and courtyard. I want to go back. !!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Jani P
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Just spent a week there - week of my son's wedding. We were from out of town, as are bride and groom, and her parents. She was at Tulane when Katrina hit, went back, worked in community, and she (and groom) have special connections to New Orleans.

The staff of the Bienville was SO helpful during the wedding week. More than once, the scissors I brought were at the rehearsal dinner venue when I needed them at the hotel; front desk staff was so helpful and accommodating with that request, and many others. The bellman was wonderful getting our car to us quickly when we needed for unexpected errands and trips around and outside the Quarter. In chaos of loading my vehicle with a week's worth of clothes and supplies for wedding festivities, as well as several friends' bags who took train from Memphis, I left one of my garment bags. Frankie, Housekeeping Supervisor, and a supervisor - I believe her name is Adrience - were both so helpful with locating the bag, sending email pictures of items to make sure it was mine, and handling shipping the bag to me in a timely manner.

Everyone was friendly and helpful - i especially appreciated Cynthia's pleasant, "hello Mrs. Sandberg" every time I walked through the lobby. The staff communicates the New Orleans spirit of joy in sharing their wonderful city.

Location is perfect; close enough to walk to anything (and I have mobility issues), but not in middle of what can be craziness of some areas. Close to good restaurants, wedding and reception venues, the river, the aquarium, the streetcar, and anything else you could want.

Rooms were nicely decorated, clean, and larger than I expected. We had a room opening to the terrace. Didn't have much time to use it during the busy week of wedding preparations and events, but was nice having it out there, and being away from noise of the street.

Continental breakfast was good, with healthy choices like cereals and yogurt. Coffee was excellent, but it WAS New Orleans.

Would DEFINITELY HIGHLY recommend.....we WILL be going back for a "wedding reunion" with friends and new family, and would definitely stay at Beinville House.

Room Tip: Rooms opening to shared terrace very nice and quiet. interior rooms were nice too, and offer some s...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family