“Happy Mardi Gras!!!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Louisiana
“Happy Mardi Gras!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

Owned by the Monteleone family, this is a wonderful place that has to be appreciated in a botique hotel perspective. Rooms great, some have only showers, slow elevator but who cares, more time to visit. Staf we had were all superb and the price especially for MardiGras weekend was superb. Had stayed there several years back and it has gotten better with age:)

Stayed February 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

my first trip to nola was made a memorable one by staying in a lovely place like the Bienville. it was shortly after 9-11 when the toursim industry had taken a big hit so we were able to secure an EXCELLENT bargain. we stayed two nights in this luxurious hotel. i am a sucker for historical buildings, and this was a prime example. the high ceilings and windows just added to the beauty of this place. in a place like nola where the city never sleeps, i found the muffled sounds of piano coming from the bar across the street to be a nice addition to the ambiance of the experience, rather than a nuisance. the hotel is in walking distance to many great attractions that we took full advantage of. the staff was courteous and very very pleasant. my husband and i enjoy doing both the "touristy thing" AND asking the locals for suggestions. the staff was more than helpful in this regard. i'd much rather visit a place suggested and recommended by a local than something the tourist department put together because the company paid for it to be pushed. you get a better local experience this way and we were more than happy to listen to what the nice folks working there at the hotel had to say. overall, this was one of the best trips i'd ever taken thanks to the kind staff, the beautiful hotel and the amazing deal we got on the hotel. if you have a chance, check out the courtyard pool. it's gorgeous, but since we went in december, didn't use it. still, it was lovely enough to have inspired a painting from me.

• Liked — the historical value and kind courteous staff whose recommendations for local fare was outstanding
  • Disliked — the parking situation but i think that's the norm with hotels in nola ... you hand over the keys and don't see your vehicle until you're ready to check out.
  • Stayed December 2004, travelled with family
2 Thank six06
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2008

Everyone from the front desk employees to the manager had horrible attitudes and a general "we don't really care" attitude. When we got to the hotel we were told in a very rude way that there was no parking availble for us and that we'd have to park at another hotel. After getting to the other hotel, we still weren't able to park for 20 minutes. Also, make very sure you check with them BEFORE you get there if you are traveling with pets. We booked the room through Hotels.com and they told us pets were not a problem. Come to find out they wanted to charge us a $125 NON REFUNDABLE pet fee for my 7 pound dog. Despite all of this, I will say the room was very nice, clean and comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Employees
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sonoma, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

Lovely Hotel. Clean, polite, service/help oriented staff. Great location for the FQ. We had a room w/ 2 doubles and no balcony. Yet we still had floor to cieling french doors that opened to a nice courtyard giving us fresh air and we could see the Charles River. Room ws so pretty and roomy. Everything we needed was there. Only 'complaint' was beds were too soft - but we were just fine. Didn't need a car, wonderful staff. Beverly & Lucious were the best. We are mature travelers so Bourbon Street was too wild for us - but the side streets were great. And directly across the street from the Bienville House is a terrific bar that has great local talent. last night we listed to a Beatles review - and it was like playing the record. Enjoy - be safe, and consider Bienville House for your visit to Bienville House.

The Aquarium is one of the best I've seen. IMAX is co-located and walking distance from the hotel.

Stayed December 2007
Memphis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2007

When I arrived by car, I was told that the parking lot was full. I was given a parking pass for another hotel and had to get back into my car and drive to another hotel and then walk back to Bienville House. The distance was not far, but still the fact that they ran out of parking sounded like poor planning to me. When I complained, the staff had a "Sorry, Charlie" attitude. When I checked out I had to walk back to the other hotel carrying my luggage. Of course, I was still charged the full $20 per night parking price.
The front desk and parking staff were indifferent at best throughout my stay.
The hotel itself is attractive, clean, and in a very good location.
My room was well furnished and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The plumbing, television, and air conditioning worked well.
I recommend asking for a room that does not face Decatur Street if you are a light sleeper. The hotel is across the street from a fire station, and I was disturbed several times by people talking on loud speakers as well as noisy pedestrians and cars playing loud rap music.
The maid service was fair. They did a good cleaning job but failed to restock the coffee.

• Liked — clean, attractive room, great location
  • Disliked — indifferent staff, noise, lack of adequate parking
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

One of the great small hotels with the best staff and service. Always a pleasure to stay here with easy access in and out of the Quarter.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
Hemet, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

I had stayed here before many years ago and loved it so I thought I'd stay again. Originally, we had booked an inside room but were upgraded to a balcony on the 2nd floor that faced Decauter. The location of this hotel is great - in the French Quarter, about 2 blocks from Jackson Sq. Our room was big, high ceilings, the balcony was HUGE and had a little table and chairs. The only downside was the noise. First, there is a fire station directly across from the hotel. Second, there are also a few nightclubs across the way too. Literally, it felt like we were sleeping INSIDE the club. Luckily, I am a very sound sleeper (I can truly sleep through anything). The music went on until 3 am. They had just finished renovating the pool and I think they made it smaller - it's about 4 feet long by 3 feet wide - more like a big jacuzzi really. The staff were nice and they have a computer in the lobby with internet which you can use for free. I think in the future I might look for a hotel in the French Quarter that is set back a bit more or I'd book an interior room here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple