“Disappointed.”

Ranked #54 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived to find that there was construction work going on which made the pool unusable for the majority of our stay. We should have been forewarned about this. Also the restaurant and bar were closed. So,paying rates for amenities which weren't available wasn't very palatable. The location is good for the French Quarter but it is also very noisy being surrounded by roads, a fire station, train and steamboat horns sounds through the day. The staff are excellent, smiling and always willing to help.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Bienville House.

We are so glad you enjoyed our smiling staff and the service they provided, and we hope to see you back in NOLA soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Hebrew first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Bienville House last weekend for a wedding. We were disappointed that the front desk was rude and unfriendly after we got locked out of our room (we had varying experiences with the front desk--some of the staff were very friendly and some were very unfriendly). We did not enjoy the continental breakfast because the attendant would not allow us to pour our own coffee, and insisted on talking to us the entire time when we were trying to visit with each other. We were also disappointed there was no microwave or refrigerator in our room or access to one without someone assisting us.

Aside from that, the hotel was relatively convenient to the wedding events that weekend, and the rooms were fine. If you just need a basic hotel and don't mind it being a little older, and plan to spend most of your time away from the hotel, you're probably okay. If we go back to New Orleans, we will probably stay somewhere else, however.

*Also, we actually tried to make a reservation at the Hotel Monteleone for this past weekend (not the Bienville House), but when we called the Monteleone, they booked us at the Bienville House without telling us. This happened to several people in the wedding party. I've heard the Monteleone is much better, just be aware that they apparently put you other places without telling you when you call their to book a reservation, so play close attention to whatever confirmation info. you get. By the time we noticed what the Monteleone had done, that hotel was booked up so we had to stay at the Bienville House, which was very frustrating.

Room Tip: If you're staying with a baby, try and get an interior room or at least a room on a high floor s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and the Bienville House.

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.We are glad your stay was convenient for the wedding festivities.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a good hotel,the car parking is ok for price as there is no where to park your car cheaply,staff excellent and the room was excellent ,breakfast is ok as it's continental style,this hotel made our final week on our trip excellent,can't say much more ,but was good clean hotel .

Room Tip: We had a room facing the Mississippi excellent view waking up to the ships in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and do hope you will join us in NOLA again soon!
Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I admit this is an older hotel, but it has a lot of charming appeal, and most of all, it is so close to everything. The hotel is about three blocks from Bourbon Street, which I really didn't like going. Four blocks from Cafe de Monde and five blocks from the French Market. I did not rent a car, I used public transportation during my four-day-stay in New Orleans. When I got to the hotel at about 1:30pm, my room was ready. I rented a king size bed. The room is pretty spacious, with a big window looking over Landry's seafood restaurant. I did not have breakfast at the hotel since there are a lot of places to try out new food. I did partake on the afternoon cookies and lemonade, which they put out around 2pm. I will stay here again without a doubt. I loved my stay at the Bienville House hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Merlina
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Bienville House and took the time to share your great experience with TripAdvisor. It sounds like the perfect trip! Please return soon to the Bienville House for another great trip!
Canfield
Reviewed 28 May 2014

For a surprise college graduation gift to my daughter, I took her to New Orleans. We stayed at the Bienville House in the French Quarter. What a lovely little hotel. The room was small but well furnished and the bed was very comfortable. The girl at the front desk(I wish I remember her name) was so nice and the ladies at the continental breakfast were extremely friendly. We had a room without windows but it really didn't matter. The hotel is close to everything and just far enough away from louder parts of the city. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathryn Y
Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at the Bienville House! We aim to provide each guest with the same luxurious experience you described. Please come back and visit us soon!
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My mom surprised me for my college graduation with a trip to New Orleans. The Bienville House was located in a great place in the French Quarter. We were walking distance from everywhere we wanted to go and some great restaurants were close by. The beds were awesome and comfy. The breakfast staff were kind and pleasant. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay in the Quarter.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank syoung90
We are so pleased that you found the Bienville House to be so comfortable and friendly. We certainly agree! We look forward to seeing you again soon in NOLA!
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Small, lovely hotel. Great, friendly staff. Adequate continental breakfast. It's all we need to grab a coffee, bagel or cereal and start the day. Bienville House is convenient to everywhere and anything in the French Quarter. This is my 2nd time at Bienville House. The area is safe and is generally quiet at night. You can hear the calliope play from the Steamship Natchez in the distance, early, on some evenings The rooms are clean and comfy. I've stayed in the deluxe king and the king sundeck rooms. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simomma53
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in May. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone!