“A magic place”

Ranked #54 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
J
“A magic place”
Reviewed 10 April 2009

The hotel is located in a quiet area of the French Quarter, not far from the House of Blues and close to Jackson Square. We had a very cozy elegant room. The bed was big and comfortable and the room decorated in what I'd describe as French-New Orleans style. It was really classy and romantic and we felt very well there. The hotel itself hasn't many facilities, they've a swimming pool though. The staff was friendly and helpful and helped to make our New Orleans experience unforgettable. If I'd come back to Nola, I would want to stay in the same hotel again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NomadicAntiHero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Hebrew first
louisiana
Reviewed 25 March 2009

My whole experience at the Bienville House Hotel was wonderful. The staff was very professional, kind, and helpful. The room was beautiful with a balcony that faced Decatur St. It was also very clean and comfortable. The location was perfect as we enjoyed a concert at the House of Blues which is one block away. I will definatly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2009

Here is the letter I wrote the general manager after I received an email thanking me for my stay and asking for my comments. Our stay was from March 12-15, 2009. So far I have not received a response. (I have removed the names of the staff referenced).

Thank you for asking about my stay at the Bienville House. I want to say that my previous visits (which were extensive as I traveled to New Orleans on business almost weekly) had been exceptional. Granted these were back in 1999-2000, but I had hoped in booking this weekend's stay that I, and my party of 5, would have the same great experiences.

When I spoke with the Day Manager last year she encouraged me to come back to the Bienville House rather than use my points to stay at a chain hotel, as I had in 2008. So with full faith that the Bienville House would be a wonderful, warm experience I worked with Sales/Reservations to agree on a rate and find a weekend that would allow us to have adjoining rooms, so our party of 6 could have a fun filled girl's weekend for my 50th birthday. That was the last good experience I had for that weekend.

Upon arrival no bellman greeted us as we left our taxis, nor did he offer to assist us once we were checked in.

Entering the hotel we were met by Day Staff. When I asked for Day Manager I was told she would be back in a hour. Although the check in went smoothly, but without the warmth I remember, we proceeded to our rooms, only to find we were on opposite sides of the fourth floor block of rooms in rooms 409 and 411. I returned to the lobby and was told that I would need to speak to Day Manager to see about getting adjoining rooms or even rooms next to each other. I asked Day Staff to please have her call me.

Later that day when I checked in at the desk with Day Staff, I was again told Day Manager was not in and now wouldn't be in until after 11 PM. Day Staff told me to write a note to Day Manager and she would get back to me. I suggested that since Day Staff knew the issue she should ensure Day Manager got back to me. I never heard from Day Manager all weekend.

The group ended up splitting up amongst the two rooms, which did nothing to encourage a girl's weekend mood. In the morning when we went down for coffee we were greeted by what we began calling the 'Coffee Nazi' who poured us half cups of coffee and hot water. When we asked for more she would just stare at us without adding more or saying a word. Since she guarded the pots it was impossible to get past her to top off. This also continued throughout our stay.

I understand that the hotel ended up being over sold, as I was told repeatedly, but I don't think that should have been my issue. Had I been told that the majority of guests were children on a school trip I might have understood the lack of adjoining rooms but rather than assisting I was given the run around.

The only person who offered the warmth and friendliness I recall from past visits was Weekend Staff. Please express my gratitude to her.

Since I travel so much for business I prefer boutique hotels for my pleasure trips as they generally have a sense of warmth and family that the chains rarely provide. Needless to say, as I plan next year's girl's weekend I will most likely be using my points again. I want you to know that this decision breaks my heart as I have a true fondness and a desire to assist New Orleans, its people and in its future. It's a shame that this experience has resulted in a sense of bitterness for a formerly wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cuddly_Cassie
Houston
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I stayed here the weekend of the St. Patrick's Day Parades. Bottom line is that a hotel should be about customer service. This place is absolutely not. The room we stayed in was nice and comfortable and close to the quarter. I, however, had an awful and unforgettable experience with the night clerk that Friday evening. After waiting for her while she was out getting food, she walked in and stared at me with a very mean and rude look. When I asked if she worked there she immediately snapped at me and gave me some sorry excuse. Now I can understand that it was late, but come on. I will absolutely not stay here again because of this experience. There are plenty of other hotels that are just as nice or better in the quarter.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank misstx
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2009

A friend and I stayed here for 5 days last summer. We loved it !! It's in a GREAT location - close to Jackson Square, the Mississppi, and only 6 blocks from Bourbon Street. Staff was great. Speaking Spanish would have come in handy but that's minor. Despite getting a TINY room (about the size of my bathroom!) with a king bed to share, it was gorgoues - with a view of Jax Brewery.

The fold out map that came with our room key came in handy and was def over used over our stay. The pool was a savor! It was never busy when we were in there, which is good as it is a bit small. They do, however, charge for LOCAL calls - granted, it was only 80cents but they do charge ya. The continental breakie was small .. Looked mainly like just muffins and jucie. I'm not sure if all the rooms are like this, but the sealer conecting the lino in the bathroom and the carpet in the main room is dangerous. It's huge, and wooden. I stubbed my toes numerous times on it.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank aschurek
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Nice front desk people. Nice room.
Three issues -
1. I booked a room with a king bed, and did not get it.
2. Elevator got stuck on a floor for a while, and did not enjoy climbing 4 flights of stairs (after a hurricane).
3. Room safe did not work.

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kamikaz75
Austin, TX
Reviewed 18 January 2009

stayed for 2 nights.
great location. better than sister hotel monteleone and much quieter, though monteleone was close by and more beautiful for about the same rate.
we were allowed to use their fitness center which was nice.
mont did not offer complimentary breakfast while bienville does. i never saw it because i was too full from beignets from the nights before (cafe du monde a short walk away as were most major sites).
our room was much smaller than my sister's for the same price.
we had balconies so it was great for fresh air.
overall, a good stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no in-house gym
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family