“Would try again”

Ranked #51 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
PA
“Would try again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

I can not blast the hotel because compared to the last place we stayed (the now closed St. Helen which was one of the dirtiest hotels we ever stayed at) it was a charm. Our room was clean, all though having no windows; it felt as if we were sleeping in a closet. For the most part the staff was friendly. There was an instance where I felt I was being challenged as I was just repeating what was printed on our Travelocity confirmation sheet about our room.
I read the review about the 'coffee Nazi' and had to laugh, for we felt the same way on the first day. But I can't blame the woman herself for she is probably just doing her job and fighting to keep it. The problem I have with it is from the hotel front desk. Upon check-in they should let everyone know to 'please ask the attendant for coffee as opposed to helping yourself'. This would have avoided the confusion in the morning when getting coffee. After speaking with the lady serving coffee I discovered she is actually a very nice and friendly person.
Also there was some (what appeared to be) blood stains on one of our fresh towels.
I guess that is the laundry service's fault and not really the hotels and I am sure it's not the first time it's ever happened....just a little gross.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Hebrew first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

We stayed here for a recent conference at a nearby chain hotel in New Orleans. We were looking for a property with more character than a standard chain hotel, and this boutique hotel did not disappoint. It is a recently renovated hotel that connects several adjacent buildings that have all been around since the 1800s. We had a room with a king-bed that was on the small side (in terms of both bathroom and bedroom), but that featured a four-poster bed, an armoire for the TV, and a good-sized desk. The room was freshly painted and the wall decor and curtains/window shades also appeared new. We especially liked the slatted wooden shades which kept out early morning sunlight.
Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. We also took advantage of the daily continental breakfast. The pool setting is really a hidden gem -- who would have thought you'd find a secluded pool in a courtyard in the French Quarter? The location was amazing. We walked to everything, including the conference hotel on Canal, the jazz of Frenchman street, Jackson Square, and the craziness of Bourbon street.
We only had two downsides. The elevator was extremely slow. Daily room cleaning was also slow. We found that our room most commonly got made up after 2PM in the afternoon, and often much later. Once we realized that it would get made up, eventually, it was not a problem for us, as we were out of the room all day anyway.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Chakattack
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

Just returned from the 2nd weekend of Jazz Fest. While though the hotel was busy, the staff was attentive and even knew our names. They were very helpful with dining suggestions. We booked a sun deck room which gave us a shared patio. The room was small, as are many rooms in older Quarter hotels, but the sun deck made all the difference. We enjoyed our morning coffee and papers there. The location was good for us. I do agree the continental breakfast could be improved. We'd go back in a heartbeat and stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank prairiehome4
Reading, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

Just got back from JazzFest. A group of us stayed here and we all had varying experiences. One group upgraded to a suite and was put in the windowless king suite. After one night they complained and were moved to the room directly over the entrance. Nice room with a large deck. Despite being directly across from the fire station, they managed to sleep well. Our room was squeezed into the back corner of the hotel. Luckily, we did not have an interior room. However, the room was extremely cramped. You could barely walk around the bed without bumping either a desk, chair or the four poster bed itself. You couldn't wheel your suitcase into the room. It had to be picked up and carried over the chair at the foot of the bed. The bathroom consisted of a tiny shower, pedestal sink and toilet. You could wash your face and use the toilet at the same time!

The pool is tiny, more of an over sized jacuzzi tub. If you are claustrophobic, watch out for the tiny elevator! Stairs on either side of the building either lead through the kitchen or the laundry and garage. Not too much of an issue, given that this is an old historic hotel, but just be aware.

Staff was so-so. Given that we had a large group, we pretty much took care of ourselves. We got really good at flagging our own taxis!

Great location in the French Quarter, close to everything. My only regret is not having more time to explore more. Some deals to be had now.. They advertise a $79 bounce back rate. We just got an email for a $69 weekday/$99 weekend rate, so be sure to ask about that.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank 123online
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

I thought this hotel was amazing considering what I paid for the room! The beds were so comfortable that we didn't want to get up the next morning to explore the wonderful city of New Orleans! The courtyard is beautiful. The staff was very cordial and willing to help.

What I liked best was the comfortable beds and pillows. What I liked the least (probably had more to do with the city of New Orleans) was the fact that the parking garage at the Bienville House was full by the time I arrived, so my wife and I had to park in a parking garage four blocks away from the hotel (and walk back to the hotel at around 11pm which scared her a little). But I enjoyed the walk and the nightlife. Heck, I even bought a couple hotdogs from the street vendor!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank threetexasbeachbums
J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

The hotel is located in a quiet area of the French Quarter, not far from the House of Blues and close to Jackson Square. We had a very cozy elegant room. The bed was big and comfortable and the room decorated in what I'd describe as French-New Orleans style. It was really classy and romantic and we felt very well there. The hotel itself hasn't many facilities, they've a swimming pool though. The staff was friendly and helpful and helped to make our New Orleans experience unforgettable. If I'd come back to Nola, I would want to stay in the same hotel again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NomadicAntiHero
louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

My whole experience at the Bienville House Hotel was wonderful. The staff was very professional, kind, and helpful. The room was beautiful with a balcony that faced Decatur St. It was also very clean and comfortable. The location was perfect as we enjoyed a concert at the House of Blues which is one block away. I will definatly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family