“Can't beat the price & location would go again in a heartbeat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #50 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
South Carolina
“Can't beat the price & location would go again in a heartbeat!”
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Spent three nights at Bienville House and had a great time. The location is EXCELLENT, a few well traveled blocks from Bourbon street one way, Riverfront another way, Canal Street one way & Jackson Square another way. Approximately 10 blocks to the WWII museum. I felt safe walking everywhere we wanted to go in the quarter. A quiet section of Decatur (a main street) but a few steps to all of the action. What more can I say? Well, there's more!
The hotel lobby is beautiful, quite elegant. The staff was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable Our room, which we booked for $65 a night (!) was also very nice. We often have trouble sleeping in hotels due to the high quality mattress we have at home, but no troubles here. Nice sheets, great mattress, feather pillows, plenty of closet space, in-room safe, TV (we never turned it on, though). Our room was clean and made up every day.
Each floor (2nd-4th) has a beautiful patio for guests filled with flowers, plants, tables, & chairs. The only time we had to call the desk was due to the fact that the guests in the room next to ours returned at 3:30 am with about 20 friends and started a loud party. The desk clerk promptly called our noisy neighbors and sent the security guard to check in on them. When the party still hadn't stopped 20 minutes later, the guard returned and told them to send their guests elsewhere, or they would be removed from the hotel. With the wide range of party locations in NO where you can be as noisy as you want to be at 3:30, it was the right thing to do. The guests left and we went back to our quiet night. This was the only time we had any noise problems during our entire stay.
The front desk people were very nice. By day two, they knew me and my room number when they saw me! This is a boutique hotel = small, about 70 rooms. They also had a nice amenity in a small nook off the lobby- a free computer with internet access to check and send email from home. There was a sign asking to restrict use to 10 minutes which seemed to be honored. I never had to wait more than a minute or two if I wanted to use the computer. If no one was waiting, you could stay as long as you wanted.
Breakfast was the typical muffins, English muffin, bagel, toast, cereal you see most places. Milk, tea, OJ and coffee was also available. Depending on the day of the week 2-3 papers were available for guests (USA Today, Wall Street Journal and The Times Picayune).
Parking is pricey ($25-35), like most hotels in the French Quarter, which led to our decision to not drive in. Everything is within walking distance once you get there, and the trolley is one block away if you need it and the lobby will call a taxi if you need that too.
There is an on-site restaurant but we didn't eat there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krush70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
ATL
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Arrived in NO on Wed 6/17/09 to celebrate my 35th birthday & attend a friends wedding on Sat 6/20. Woke up the first morning (thursday - my birthday) and the shower did not work. Called the front desk @ 7 AM and was told someone would be up to check it out. Called again at 8 AM and was told just wait 10 more minutes. Finally, went down at 8:30 and was told that "maintenance" would not be in until at least 9 AM. They moved us to a different room & then as we were about to start showering someone knocked on the door & told us that it was a handicap room & we could not stay - after we moved our own luggage up 2 floors....We were told that we could take a room with no windows or return to our original room...NO THANKS!!!. Moved the luggage back down to our original room & left for the day. The shower was fixed when we returned. We then noticed that there was no airconditioning. Told the front desk that day (thursday). Told them again on Friday & Saturday & Sunday & Monday...... The explanation from the hotel was that "New Orleans was experiencing a heat wave that week" - would that not be all the more reason to make sure that your paying guests had AC?? Checked out Tuesday & paid the $677 bill. Oh, and there was chex-mix mashed into the blankets on the bed, I kid you not, chex-mix - makes you wonder when the room was last cleaned? I travel to New Orleans on average every other year & I have never experienced a worse hotel than this. I have prob stayed in at least 20-30 other hotels & chains in the New Orleans metro area, so I do have reference points. I'm not hard to please, I just expect the basics. Very Very disappointed with the hotel & the final bill. Save your money & stay somewhere else. Not a great way to win back the tourist business in my opinion.......

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buffaloerik
Friendswood, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2009

First, let me preference this by saying whenever I visit a tourist city like New Orleans my expectations for a hotel are quite simple since my goal is not to hang around the establishment. Having said that, my stay was excellent. I got an extremely good walk-in rate for a one night stay. The staff was nice and helpful considering the large crowds attending the Essence Festival during a holiday weekend.

A Few Positives:
- Large clean room (Room 410)
- A few blocks from the French Quarter
- Close to Riverwalk Shopping

Negatives:
- Fire Station across the street
- Police Station a few blocks away
- Sirens can be heard in the city view room, however, since we enjoyed the beverages in the French Quarter after a few minutes I was asleep and didn't hear a thing :-)

I did not pay for parking as I left my vehicle with a relative who works across the street at the Fire Station.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Mississippi
Reviewed 29 June 2009

After walking around Canal St. for a few hours, we called to book a room.We had a coupon that we had picked up at the Welcome Center for $59. They took down our info and held us a room. Since my friends & I were splitting the bill, we asked to pay in cash. I had to give my card for the night and then pay cash at checkout. I was told my card would not be charge, however I checked it the next day and it had been charge $25. I asked at check out and was told I could apply it to the bill or be refunded. I just wish they had told us up front. Other than that our stay was great!

The valet parking was nice, and they brought our bags straight up to the room. Considering the size of the elevator, this was a great help. Our room was 418 which was down a series of hall ways and was windowless. Taking in to consideration how old the building is this was not an issue.It added to the charm.

The saltwater pool was warm, but hey, after walking around New Orleans in June, it was heaven! The beds were great & clean!!
Bathroom was clean.

All in all, a great place to stay. Alot of reviews on here say the staff was horrible, but we had no problems with them.Guess it depends on the guest as well as the staff to make it a good experience!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We arrived a few hours before the 3:00 check in and were told that we would receive a call when our room was ready. We returned to the hotel at 3:15 (no call) and were told that our room was not ready yet. They said we should sit in the lobby until it was ready. I asked if we could have another room, but according to Brittney, the mindless receptionist, "no other rooms were available". When I asked if we could have a late checkout, the ditz said we would have to call down in the morning and request a late checkout. I reminded her that we were not asked if a late check-in would be okay, but she was too stupid to see the connection. We ended up sitting in the lobby for over an hour while other people went straight to their rooms! But no rooms were available. When we finally got to our room, it smelled like a musty basement. The tv was way too small for the giant cabinet they had it in, and my wife busted he toe on the unmarked slope that leads from the bedroom to the tiny bathroom. In the end we were not granted a 'late checkout' but were told that we could have a different room for the next night... At the standard rate! We will NEVER stay here again! There are plenty of other hotels with better housekeeping, customer service, and smell that are in the same area for less money. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elfinn3
PA
Reviewed 22 May 2009

I can not blast the hotel because compared to the last place we stayed (the now closed St. Helen which was one of the dirtiest hotels we ever stayed at) it was a charm. Our room was clean, all though having no windows; it felt as if we were sleeping in a closet. For the most part the staff was friendly. There was an instance where I felt I was being challenged as I was just repeating what was printed on our Travelocity confirmation sheet about our room.
I read the review about the 'coffee Nazi' and had to laugh, for we felt the same way on the first day. But I can't blame the woman herself for she is probably just doing her job and fighting to keep it. The problem I have with it is from the hotel front desk. Upon check-in they should let everyone know to 'please ask the attendant for coffee as opposed to helping yourself'. This would have avoided the confusion in the morning when getting coffee. After speaking with the lady serving coffee I discovered she is actually a very nice and friendly person.
Also there was some (what appeared to be) blood stains on one of our fresh towels.
I guess that is the laundry service's fault and not really the hotels and I am sure it's not the first time it's ever happened....just a little gross.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 May 2009

We stayed here for a recent conference at a nearby chain hotel in New Orleans. We were looking for a property with more character than a standard chain hotel, and this boutique hotel did not disappoint. It is a recently renovated hotel that connects several adjacent buildings that have all been around since the 1800s. We had a room with a king-bed that was on the small side (in terms of both bathroom and bedroom), but that featured a four-poster bed, an armoire for the TV, and a good-sized desk. The room was freshly painted and the wall decor and curtains/window shades also appeared new. We especially liked the slatted wooden shades which kept out early morning sunlight.
Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. We also took advantage of the daily continental breakfast. The pool setting is really a hidden gem -- who would have thought you'd find a secluded pool in a courtyard in the French Quarter? The location was amazing. We walked to everything, including the conference hotel on Canal, the jazz of Frenchman street, Jackson Square, and the craziness of Bourbon street.
We only had two downsides. The elevator was extremely slow. Daily room cleaning was also slow. We found that our room most commonly got made up after 2PM in the afternoon, and often much later. Once we realized that it would get made up, eventually, it was not a problem for us, as we were out of the room all day anyway.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business