“Travelers Beware! DO NOT STAY HERE! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!”
Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #50 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 15 July 2010

This is a copy of the letter that I sent to management shortly after my stay. It has only been a few days and so far, I have not gotten a responce from them.

Myself and 9 other members of my family were in town to celebrate my mother's 50th birthday. I had 5 rooms reserved at the Bienville House. Upon arrival, we encountered a very anxious doorman that made us feel as if we were just another car he had to park. Then we met the desk clerk, Brittney! She was so kind and polite and tried her best to get us checked in a timely manner. However, she was not able to do that, because although it was 4pm, our rooms had not yet been cleaned, and were not ready to accommodate guests. After waiting in the lobby for nearly a half an hour, we finally made it to our rooms. I believe that everyone was very pleased with the cleanliness and quality of the rooms. After our checking in was postponed, we were a bit pressed for time and had to hastefully prepare for dinner. We ended up being about fifteen minutes late for our reservation, but thankfully the restaurant was very understanding. After dinner, we returned to the hotel. Some of the family returned to their rooms and went to bed. Others socialized on the sundeck and some took the opportunity to take in some of New Orleans’ nightlife. Although I only had 1 encounter with a member of the hotel staff, I found out the next morning that my entire family had been harassed and threatened by the security staff that night. On one occasion (when I was present) my brothers, my sister and myself were sitting on the sundeck, very aware that there were other guests staying in the rooms beside us, when we were surprised to see a security person come around the corner and tell us that we were going to have to quiet it down. Although I didn’t think we were being loud at all, I kindly apologized and assured him that we would be a little quieter. Without a thank you, or even another word, he was gone. On another occasion, around midnight, my brother and his girlfriend, whom had not been at the hotel since we left for dinner, were returning from the French quarter. Rather than being greeted by the desk clerk, they were told that they had “better be quiet or I will call the police and have you thrown out of the hotel!" The next morning when I found out that that had happened, I was embarrassed and appalled. That is no way to treat a guest that is paying good money to stay at your hotel. Another thing, if there was a problem with any of my guest, I should have been contacted as it was my name and cell phone number on all of the reservations. I was never contacted. Lastly, about 30 minutes prior to checking out on Sunday morning, my father called down to the front desk and asked the clerk to retrieve his car from the parking garage. When he met me downstairs about 35 minutes later to checkout of the hotel, his car was still not available. It took another 30 minutes before it was finally on site. Overall, despite my enthusiasm about staying at the Bienville house , my experience there was not a pleasant one. I'm not sure me or any member of my family will ever be back or be able to recommend it to anyone that plans to visit New Orleans.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank wesleycreeves
Write a ReviewReviews (1,635)

Reviewed 13 July 2010

Here's a copy of the letter I sent to the manager. So far...no response

Hello, my name is --------------. I visited your hotel yesterday for a 1 night stay. We stayed in room 232 We were traveling with two other families and had just finished a cruise with Carnival. We all needed a good nights sleep before Heading to Memphis today. We arrived early (around 11:00 am) to see if our luggage could be kept in a locked room until our room was available. Your staff accommodated all 3 of our families. Thank you. We were told that valet parking was $30, $35, and $40 depending on the size of our vehicle. Mine was $40. Then we were told our vehicles would have to be parked 3-4 blocks away and we would have to drive them there ourselves...AND WALK BACK. I have arthritis in my knees and have difficulties walking long distances. We were told there were no other options. I know check in was at 3 pm but was hoping we could get in early if the room was available. We were told we would receive a courtesy call when the room was available. No call came. I came back to the hotel after just before 2:45 and was told the room would be ready in a few minutes. I was still waiting in the lobby at 3:10 when I was told the computers needed booting up. We got our room keys a few minutes later.

All seemed to be going well from that point on until my wife, son, daughter, and I went to bed at around 10:30. Sometime after midnight screaming began outside. I did not know where it was coming from but people were whooping and shouting very loudly. I listened to it until I could not take anymore. I went downstairs to see if anything could be done about the noise. This was about 3:30 or 3:45am. I think the person working behind the counters name is Michael. He said he did not know what was going on but he had complaints from the 2nd floor as well as the 4th floor. I went back to the room and my family was now hearing banging noises from the bed in room 233 as it slammed into our wall. I don't know how many people were in the room but the noise would subside and then commence again. It sounded like an orgy was going on in the room next door. With teenagers in our room, it was very embarrassing. My wife was very upset with this noise as it seemed they were in the room with us. We wanted to leave but I was concerned about walking all the way up to the Monteleone at that time of the night to get my truck.

Finally about 4:30 I went back downstairs to see if my truck could be brought to us so we could leave. Michael called and they said they could bring it but didn't know when it would be. I went back up to the room and we all packed our bags and was headed out to walk when the phone rang and he said our truck was there. We promptly left.

We planned to get rest, have a nice breakfast with our friends, and enjoy a comfortable ride home. What we got instead was no sleep. We left ahead of our friends and drove to Memphis, tired, and feeling corrupted.

We booked our stay with you through bookit.com. You took my credit card information to assign any charges. I would appreciate a refund.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jjhvac
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My friends and I stayed @ Bienville House during the Essence festival. The hotel is in a great location! It is a very short walking distance to the French Market, the Riverwalk and Bourbon Street. The room we had was spacious and clean. The staff was very nice and friendly. One of the staff even gave my friend her bottle of ibuprofen when she had a hangover. The only knock I have, which is a minor one, is regarding the coffee. I went downstairs to get a cup and it seems out of nowhere this lady comes and pours it for me. I am a devout coffee drinker so I would have preferred to get my own along w/ how much sugar I wanted. However she was pretty friendly so... I guess it's no biggie. We plan on staying again next year. I would definitely recommend Bienville House to others. Two thumbs up!!

Reviewed 3 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Bienville House in June 2010. The location of the hotel is great but the staff working at the hotel were extremely rude to us for most of our stay. The most upsetting incident that we encountered was with the receptionist who checked us in on the first day of our stay. She was extremely rude to us, sarcastically replying to any question we asked her. When we told her that she had the wrong attitude dealing with guests, she started yelling at us in the lobby and told us that she was going to check us out of the hotel. We had to call the manager to step in and get our check in formalities complete. The rooms at the hotel are fairly nice and the location is great; however due to the bad attitude of the staff we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skylegal
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My husband and I recently stayed June 13-17. We had a Sun Deck room on the 4th floor - there is a pretty garden patio right outside your door (nicer than a hallway) so it felt very open. The room was clean and spacious and we got the WiFi hookup for $10/day. The staff was friendly and courteous. Although we arrived early and our room was not ready at 11 am on a Sunday (understandably), the bellman Lucious happily checked our bags and laptop and suggested we head over to the festivals (Seafood, Creole Tomato & Zydeco) down by the market. The location of this hotel on Decatur was perfect and we walked everywhere! We really enjoyed relaxing on the patio with our coffee & newspapers in the morning (we were only a block from the river and you could hear the caliope music and the Steamboat Natchez nearby). The continental breakfast was very nice - Starbucks coffee, delicious muffins, bagels, english muffins, regular & cinnamon toast, assorted cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, cold OJ and ice water. Aside from what I've read here, the lady serving the coffee was very sweet and I had no problem asking for 2 coffees for both of us and then coming back later for 2 more. She always said thank you, ma'am. Of course, when breakfast is included in your hotel price, it's always a nice gesture to leave a dollar or two in the tip jar to show your appreciation of the staff. The woman at the desk Beverly was also a sweetheart, as well as all the other staff whose names I cannot remember. We took advantage of the fitness room at the Monteleone - only a short 2-block walk. This is their sister hotel and it's very nice, but has more of a large hotel feel. I enjoyed the small boutique hotel feel of the Bienville in contrast. The location is so perfect because you are right in the heart of everything - you can go up to Bourbon for the action, over to Canal for the casino, down to St. Louis Cathedral and the marketplace. The hotel's restaurant, Iris, was also really nice. Although we didn't get a chance to do dinner, we did have the guacamole appetizer and drinks at the bar and it was wonderful - I believe they also offer room service. The other guests were all very friendly and seemed to be having a wonderful time as well. We also enjoyed the side streets and discovered lots of fun places to visit so we definitely will be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We stayed at the Bienville House for one night prior to our cruise. The hotel is an old hotel, but it is in excellent shape. We had two rooms , one for our older kids and one for us. There room was about twice the size of ours even though the rate was the same. I enjoyed staying at this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mate0517
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We chose the Bienville House because of its location. We attended the Royal Street Stroll - part of the New Orleans Wine and Food Experience. The hotel was just two blocks away from the start of the event. After the event, we had a comfortable sleep in a quiet room. In the morning, we had a light breakfast in pleasant surroundings. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple